The Music Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I've trawled the CHAT forum as well as the old archived CHAT threads and merged all casual discussion of music, songs, singer and groups into this one thread.

There are a good number of threads that have been left separate, including any Fortean topics or specific discussions of the interplay of life, mood and music, but anything that was basically a long list of music that members like and would like to recommend--with sporadic discussion between--has now been consolidated here.

Frustratingly, a large number of YouTube links and embeds are now dead. It would be a good idea for the future for members to ensure that the title of the artist and the song/album was included in the post so that they can later be identified by readers.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
The Handless Organist.

I quite like this. Better than her more conventional songs with god-bothering lyrics.

A sort of proto-Bjork.

edit: some of the comments suggest it isn't her which is a shame.

edit again: Some background

"Frequently featured as Holy Grail of ‘worst album cover ever’ and ‘bizarre music’ polls, this album by the Reverend Alberta Baker is indeed perhaps an all-too-easy target for our mockery. Very much a product of its times, ‘Truly A Miracle Of God’ features the, indeed handless, Reverend tackling spirituals on her, er organ. See? It’s that easy! Not that much is known about Alberta Baker however, other than that she claims to have started playing handless pipe organ at the age of four, moving on to piano and piano-accordion in the early 40s. In the early 50s she was dubbed ‘the handless pianist’ by an evangelist from Florida, which subsequently changed to ‘the handless organist’ when she started playing the electronic keyboards in the mid 50s. Considering herself blessed by God, for giving her the gift to be able to play without hands, Baker cut her sole album ‘Truly A Miracle Of God’ around 1955 for Century records in New York. But what is this much-ridiculed, but rarely-heard album all about? First of all, for an organist without hands, Baker plays remarkably well. Her singing however is a different matter. There is certainly plenty of conviction, but she also hits some seriously bum notes. The material consists of standards like ‘Jesus, Use Me’ and ‘He Is Coming Soon’, titles which in today’s context may easily lead to mockery, but in the 50s were considered serious Christian classics. Baker excels on ‘Turn Your Radio On’, which deserved to have been an off-beat country hit. The equally catchy ‘Assurance March’ adds a surprise rhythm box to the mix. Then there are several instrumentals, with Baker closing the handless experience with a version of ‘What A Friend We Have In Jesus’. Listening to the album makes you wonder about Christian music in the 50s. These days, we tend to laugh at these albums, but go back some 60 years and you’d find a family cluttering around a record player, listening to the handless organist, and singing along in deep faith. How times have changed! Another thing that has changed is the monetary value of this album. When originally released, you’d have to fish out 4 Dollar for a mono copy of this album or 5 Dollar for a stereo one. Today, finding a copy of this legendary album has become exceedingly difficult and you’d be hard-pressed to find one for less than 200 Pounds. Buy this album if you are interested in the cultural phenomenon of religious music – combined with a touch of the bizarre – and listen to Alberta Baker playing handless, but with complete conviction."

https://www.discogs.com/The-Handless-Organist-Truly-A-Miracle-Of-God/release/6710493

edit again part two:

Her husband had a thing for flying saucers.

http://illfolks.blogspot.com/2014/04/easter-treat-reverend-alberta-baker.html

"I was able to find a 1965 ad from a Charleston, West Virginia newspaper for a 3-night appearance by the duo:
"Rev. Meurice Baker, Speaking on such subjects as "Rocketry" or "The Women Clothed With the Sun," "Flying Saucers," "Proof of the Soon Coming of the Lord," "Atomic Warfare," "Healing of the Soul." Added attraction? Yes, "Featuring Rev. Alberta Baker, "The Handless Organist." Sister Baker is living proof of GOd's Miracle working power." The 3 nights of lectures and music were held at the "House of Prayer," which was run by Rev. Joe West in South Charleston."

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Vashti Bunyan – 'Where I Like to Stand'

Just like taking a little step into heaven. Ahhh...

"I'm counting the gulls that sit on the waves
Surrounding the boats in the bay
I'm counting the miles till we're there
Where the sun and the rain and the snow
Fall on the seeds and make them grow
Fall on the rocks and make them crack
Into pebbles and into sand
Which is where I like to stand..."

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Evie, Parts 1,2 & 3 - Stevie Wright (former lead singer of the Easybeats). A great performance of an Aussie classic on the steps of the Sydney Opera House. Don't do drugs kids, his ending wasn't pretty.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
In the past few days I have discovered Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn, which has been a quiet revelation. I investigated after reading a post by @Yithian saying he listened to it whilst playing Warhammer or D&D and I have vague recollections of it being mentioned as having a "Fantasy" type atmosphere on a music forum years ago. I've avoided Oldfield mostly down to overexposure to the main tubular bells theme. Will get around to Return to Ommadawn some point soon and Hergest Ridge as well.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
In the past few days I have discovered Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn, which has been a quiet revelation. I investigated after reading a post by @Yithian saying he listened to it whilst playing Warhammer or D&D and I have vague recollections of it being mentioned as having a "Fantasy" type atmosphere on a music forum years ago. I've avoided Oldfield mostly down to overexposure to the main tubular bells theme. Will get around to Return to Ommadawn some point soon and Hergest Ridge as well.

It's a magical album.

SEARCH tells me that I've mentioned my personal associations with it three times already on the board, so I'll spare you a third repetition!

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
It's a magical album.

SEARCH tells me that I've mentioned my personal associations with it three times already on the board, so I'll spare you a third repetition!
It certainly is, it sounds like his first four albums are along vaguely similar lines and then he went odd in other directions, are you familiar with his other stuff?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just seen on the news that a film a bout Creation Records is coming out, Creation Stories, directed by Nick Moran (of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels fame) and with a screen play written by Irvine Welsh (Trainspotting) who also appears in the film, Ewen Bremner (Trainspottings Spud) takes on the role of Creation Records founder Alan McGee, and it looks to have a great sound track for anyone who grew up with tje likes of The Boo Radleys, Primal Scream and Oasis.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...s-review-alan-mcgee-biopic-oasis-irvine-welsh

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I do enjoy a bit of crumhorn, viol, harpsichord and tabor.
Brazilian multi-instrumentalist Eduardo Antonello has recreated some beautiful middle-ages music, accompanied by some inventive videos - sometimes using just multiple avatars of himself, other times with a little help from his friends).
Here's a couple of my favourites - the tavern in the 2nd one could have come straight out of Witcher 3:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It certainly is, it sounds like his first four albums are along vaguely similar lines and then he went odd in other directions, are you familiar with his other stuff?
Only really the first four.

Incantations, for me, is where he went off the boil.

Hargest Ridge is almost as good as Ommadawn, but--for me--slightly less cohesive as an album (and who decides to put on one track from a Mike Oldfield album?).

It's worth noting that all the early albums were semi-recently re-released as 'deluxe versions' with significant extra material.

I forget the details as my copies are oceans away.

YouTube has some stunning live performances from this era, but the recordings themselves are often sub-standard.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
Only really the first four.

Incantations, for me, is where he went off the boil.

Hargest Ridge is almost as good as Ommadawn, but--for me--slightly less cohesive as an album (and who decides to put on one track from a Mike Oldfield album?).

It's worth noting that all the early albums were semi-recently re-released as 'deluxe versions' with significant extra material.

I forget the details as my copies are oceans away.

YouTube has some stunning live performances from this era, but the recordings themselves are often sub-standard.
HAve been listening to the 2010 reissue version of Ommadawn, do you have the "sequel" album from 2017?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
HAve been listening to the 2010 reissue version of Ommadawn, do you have the "sequel" album from 2017?
I listened to it once or twice on YouTube, and while I didn't dislike it and it did 'fit the mood', I didn't love it either.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Last edited:

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Return to Ommadawn is definitely his best recent album.

I have a rather extensive Oldfield collection including a lot of bootlegs, and seen him live a number of times.

For me Tubular Bells is the greatest piece of music ever. Enjoyed everything up to 1984 (not equally it must be said), Discovery was released then and in general things went downhill for me after that. Occasional bits of brilliance afterwards but not a whole album.

The remastered albums mentioned previously all change hands for silly money now and include alternative takes, live versions and surround sound remixes. He seems to have lost interest and it looks as if no more of these will be coming out and despite a few claims that he was working on a new sequel to Tubular Bells that also appears to have died a death. It seems that the Olympics was his last public performance and Return to Ommadawn his last new piece of music. There is an anniversary tour of TB coming starting this year (50th year of his starting to write) but really it has no input from Oldfield himself.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
Return to Ommadawn is definitely his best recent album.

I have a rather extensive Oldfield collection including a lot of bootlegs, and seen him live a number of times.

For me Tubular Bells is the greatest piece of music ever. Enjoyed everything up to 1984 (not equally it must be said), Discovery was released then and in general things went downhill for me after that. Occasional bits of brilliance afterwards but not a whole album.

The remastered albums mentioned previously all change hands for silly money now and include alternative takes, live versions and surround sound remixes. He seems to have lost interest and it looks as if no more of these will be coming out and despite a few claims that he was working on a new sequel to Tubular Bells that also appears to have died a death. It seems that the Olympics was his last public performance and Return to Ommadawn his last new piece of music. There is an anniversary tour of TB coming starting this year (50th year of his starting to write) but really it has no input from Oldfield himself.

Is he the main voice on the song/section that ends On Horseback? It's not clear from the credits.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Life as a cop must be boring, so it's good thing he had a stereo in his cop car.