• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

The Music Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
A wonderful audience recording of this achingly good era from Fleetwood Mac:

On August 30, 1977 Mike and I attended Fleetwood Mac at The Fabulous Forum. Wow over 42 years ago. We sat Section B Row 2 (2nd row center) on the floor. I pushed Mike in the wheelchair on this, the second of two nights at the Forum.

Due to the huge popularity of the Rumours album, tickets were in extremely high demand. Fleetwood Mac had an upscale demographic, so choice floor seats were very costly. Therefore we attended only the one night. Sitting 2nd row center means we are about 10 feet or so from the "security brutes" positioned along the front of the stage. We could get spotted and busted at any time!!! But second row center does have it's benefits:

Mick Fleetwood's facial expressions are quite entertaining.
John McVie lays down a great bass line.
At times, Lindsey uses a banjo-type method of playing guitar.
Christine is a steady mother figure.
And last but not least there is Stevie. Let’s just say it's hard to take your eyes off her.

[...]

Second row center was our "Sweet Spot" for sound, as we could pick up the stage monitors as much if not more than the main PA. This result is a typical Millard Forum recording in its excellence.

Yes another superb bootleg from the late Mike Millard. Mike wasn't feigned disability and concealed recording equipment in a wheelchair. That subterfuge meant the preservation of many concerts from the era--notably Led Zeppelin's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Millard

feinman

Asymmetric Contact From Hyperdimensional Aliens.
Reaction score
Leave you with a last bit of music :cool:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Beatles - Paperback Writer. I can't believe that I've never seen this video of it; it's genuinely fab and they look so very, very cool. Apart from Ringo!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Royal Blood's new album arrived today - a lot of dance influences this time round.

There's some proper bangers on there.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Slipknot/Spice Girls mashup:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Kids react to:

Nirvana

The Red Hot Chili Peppers

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
This early 80s period in London pop was called the death of punk, people were all saying it's like punk never 'appened an' that. Bollocks. It was what 14yo girls were into, and I, at 13, was into 14yo girls. It was lovely. I can listen to 3hrs straight of the 80-84 era quite happily. I can't honestly say that about martial London punk circa 1977. Or about any other era of top 40 pop, for that matter.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This early 80s period in London pop was called the death of punk, people were all saying it's like punk never 'appened an' that. Bollocks. It was what 14yo girls were into, and I, at 13, was into 14yo girls. It was lovely. I can listen to 3hrs straight of the 80-84 era quite happily. I can't honestly say that about martial London punk circa 1977. Or about any other era of top 40 pop, for that matter.

When i was in my teens, late 80's early 90's it was the birth of 'Brit-pop' and i eas well into the scene, at the time i coildnt stand the 'new romantics' as i got older i found i enjoyed them more and more, now i will happily listen to most 'new romantics'.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
When i was in my teens, late 80's early 90's it was the birth of 'Brit-pop' and i eas well into the scene, at the time i coildnt stand the 'new romantics' as i got older i found i enjoyed them more and more, now i will happily listen to most 'new romantics'.
Aren't they now 'old romantics'?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
1982 and Bauhaus were number 1 in the Hit Parade with a note perfect cover of Ziggy Stardust - what was the point of that ? I remember glumly looking at the line-up for future gigs at Aylesbury Friars at a time when 16 out of the top 20 chart singles were all cover versions. Never really got back into Music after that period.

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
Zoinks allore! I remember this old goat in the later period of the last century.
Saw him with his band Primus in musta been 19 hunerd and 96 at a venue called The Thebarton Theatre, known for the audience chucking things at the acts. Saw shit get chucked at such performers as Stray Cats, Midnight Oil, Dave Lee Roth, Crowded House and New Order.

Anyhoo, crowd chucked shit at this Claypool so he goes Please don't throw anything at the stage that doesn't resemble a bag of marijuana. Well he was OUR homeboy after that. Ah those mid 90s.

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
Bit more of the ol frizler and his basstasticity.

O this is cool. Ler's rig and goto guitars.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I love 'narrative songs' and Stan Ridgway does, too: small towns, private eyes, westerns and cheap sunglasses.

Try the first song and continue if you like it.

Alternative, this chorus is resolutely stuck in my head.

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
This is what came on the radio as I fell over that cliff to my doom.