• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mythologist

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Synopsis: On the surface 'Armen Victorian' seems like a regular guy. He lives in Nottingham with his wife and two children and his occupations have been variously listed as insurance salesman, shop assistant and cleaner. But dig a little deeper and Armen's life starts to resemble that of a latter-day Walter Mitty. Diplomat, adventurer, UFO investigator, crop circle researcher, intelligence officer - is this the secret life of a Nottingham shop assistant? His world is a shadowy world of counter-espionage, disinformation, subterfuge, spooks, spies, lies and the keeping and revealing of secret knowledge. The Mythologist explores Armen's life and his impact on the murky and mythic realms of paranormal researcher.

I think Morris was active in BUFORA until more recently than that; he was quite big on hypnotic regression. I'm sure I remember Andy Roberts (who also appears in The Mythologist) poking fun at Morris in his 'Armchair Ufologist', which would be late 1990s-ish.

I can't find any references to a 1985 'crash' (alleged or otherwise!) in Cornwall at the moment.

Eric Morris passed away in 2008 according to this obituary:

https://www.theufochronicles.com/2008/12/eric-morris-ufo-and-paranormal.html

Oddly, it doesn't mention his time with the Plymouth UFO Investigation Centre which he was involved with in the 80s.

According to the Bristol-based veteran UFO researcher Terry Hooper-Scharf, Morris had a very dubious reputation:

From 1975 up until a year before his death, I had regularly correspondence and phone call exchanging with Eric Morris (who had a number of UFO ‘groups’ and publications). By 1983 I was aware that things he was telling me were untrue. Incidents and reports that I double checked never panned out and as soon as the whole “Grey” abduction phenomenon broke he was straight in it [...]

Morris faked (badly) documents and on one occasion his rubber stamp was on the reverse side. The “Black Heath UFO crash” was his work. He threatened people as part of his ‘problem’. The late Joan Amos, widely known in UFO and Fortean circles, was in her 70s when Morris threatened her physically to get some documents she had. When a male neighbour heard all of this and went out to intervene in the matter Morris left.

Over the telephone he once threatened to shoot me and told me that there would be no consequences for him as he was still employed by the secret service (apparently he had operated some communications system in Romania in the late 1970s). Well, that was the last straw for me and I contacted Cheshire police and reported the phone call. Morris denied it all while “saying some odd things” and I was told that he did not have a good reputation and I should try to avoid further contact with him.

His faking of reports and witness bullying was known to top UK Ufologists –some of whom had not only been threatened by him but also used similar tactics.

I then read that he had been applauded over a talk (which was all fake material and info) at a Northern UFO event. I never believed that because others prominently involved all knew about Morris. However, two different Ufologists told me that it was all true and that even those in conflict with Morris had applauded and spoke highly of him.

I have one full case report which was submitted to the MoD since Morris had, it seems, used my name several times. The report from Morris contained letters to various RAF commands, local authorities and the claims were so paranoid and delusional that I asked someone I knew who was a psychologist to read through it for me. “Paranoid. Delusional and with possible psychopathic traits” was the character assessment I got back.

All of this was known to leading Ufologists and Ufology in general [...]

Following the Manchester Airport sighting in the 1990s Morris sent me a taped interview with an alleged witness. Morris is constantly calling the object a “space craft” and adding details not given by the witness (if a real witness) [...]

https://terryhooper.blogspot.com/2020/12/uk-ufology-survey.html

Reactions: BS3
Morris faked (badly) documents and on one occasion his rubber stamp was on the reverse side

Regrettably this sort of stuff isn't unusual in ufology - not just the Gray Barker-style pranking but also those who fabricate evidence as part of an exercise in self-delusion. It all seems to be part of the social aspect of the 'phenomenon'.

Back