• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Nameless Thing Of Berkeley Square

Maggs has always pointed out that while they know of the alleged "horror" that supposedly haunted their premesis, no member of their staff has seen or experienced anything out of the ordinary - even when working late at night! They regard the Monster of Berkley Square as a quaint legend but with no real supporting evidence apart from tales based on tales based on tales based on legends etc. etc.

Like the Angels of Mons, if you tell a tale enough times, people will take it as evidence.

No. 66 Berkeley Square

Whether the infamous house at No. 50 Berkeley Square was actually haunted or not may be open to debate, but there is NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER that the majority of Londoners of the 1840s and 1850s and even later FIRMLY BELIEVED IT TO BE SO. [I've just corrected the erroneous street number I originally used here - OTR]

It was upon this building that Lord Bulwer-Lytton based his justly-famous ghostly horror novelette, THE HAUNTERS AND THE HAUNTED: Or, the Ghost and the Brain. There have also been numerous short stories based on the Berkeley Square rumors. A radio play based on the mystery was broadcast on such radio series as BEYOND MIDNIGHT (South Africa) and NIGHTFALL (Canada).

All sorts of gruesome details can be found scattered through multiple mid- through late 19th Century issues of that wonderful English publication NOTES AND QUERIES.

And, yes, the bookstore exists.

The story is also mentioned, in passing, in one of M R James ghost stories. Can't recall which one.

FATE Article on No. 66 Berkeley Square

By the way, FATE magazine published an article of mine on the Berkeley Square house back in the late 1970s. It included a sketch of the building prepared by my late Dad, a commercial artist.

CORRECTION!

Correction - the "terribly haunted house," now Maggs Booksellers, was of course No. 50 Berkeley Square and NOT No. 66 as I erroneously cited above.

There were traditionally TWO haunted houses in Berkeley Square - No. 44 (mildly haunted) and No. 50 (say yer prayers and hop on the first boat to Australia).

According to Boar & Blundell (“World’s Greatest Ghosts” 1983 – not the world’s greatest source, I know!) a Lord Lyttleton published his account of a night spent at 50 Berkley Square in 1879 in “Notes and Queries” (also mentioned in Hippisley Coxe’s 1973 “Haunted Britain”, though without the year), along with some background info he had uncovered during his investigations into the haunting. Boar & Blundell devote 2 pages to the house, and date the death of the sailor discussed in the posts above at 1887. The Lord Lyttleton bit is the only mention of a source though.
In “Ghosts of London”, J.A. Brooks (1982) reprints part of an 1879 “Mayfair” article on the haunting of No. 50, in which it is speculated that the happenings there might have “inspired the late Lord Lytton with the mystery of ‘The House and the Brain’”. The Mayfair article also relates the story of how “a lady of high position” had recently called to the house to “make inquiries” and was greeted “after some delay … by an old woman, who, holding the door in such a manner as to prevent any possibility of entrance, answered enquiries to this effect.” Basically she told the “lady” that her and her husband had been renting the property and living there for 6 years and that the landlord called once every 6 months, locked them in a downstairs room and proceeded to an “upper room” which was kept locked all year round and only accessed by him. After doing whatever he did in there he would let them out. The Mayfair article then makes a plea for more information on the property and reported goings-on there, and according to Brooks the topic was kept live for a further two issues of the magazine - but without any info being attained.
Brooks gives some info on Lord Lytton’s “The House and the Brain” as having being published in Blackwood’s magazine in 1859 and also mentions Lord Lyttleton and other stories about the house. No other sources are given though, except for Harper’s “Haunted Houses”, wherein it was claimed that a “Mr Du Pre, of Wilton Park” owned the house and let it out, but at the same time using “one of the attics” to keep “his lunatic brother a prisoner”.
In my 1994 Senate reprint of Harper’s 1907 book he attributes the Du Pre to a “Mr Stuart Wortley”, and tells of how Mr Du Pre “shot his lunatic brother in one of the attics” (italics mine). Brooks dates Harper’s book at 1931 so I think it’s most likely that the 1931 edition cited by Brooks must have been corrected to read “shut” rather than “shot”, as the story continues with a description of the unfortunate’s captivity and Hippisley Coxe (1973) also mentions the Du Pre story, without a shooting. Anyway, Harper reports that in 1907 the house was “no longer haunted, nor even empty” and that “there are those who declare it was never haunted, and that the story was, indeed, invented by a more or less popular novelist of years ago.” He also mentions the house having been mentioned in “the staid pages of Notes and Queries”.
In “Our Haunted Kingdom” Green (1973) reports recent ghostly goings-on (presumably in the 60s) at No. 50 – the one-off sighting by a local “Mrs Balfour” of a “man wearing a white satin coat and wig, with lace ruffles at his neck and wrists” looking out a first floor window at night. Green claims that “other reports of his sightings have been made by office workers in the area”.

I can't find anything in the Unexplained, though I only have volumes 1-9 and no index :hmph: Anyone know if it is in 1-9 anywhere? Flicking through the pages isn't the most rigorous way of finding info!

From the index of The Unexplained -

Berkeley Square haunting
Vol 6, pages 1246-9

I started collecting The Unexplained when I was a nipper and got it complete, bound and well-read!

Hmmm. Wasn't there an early Ramsey Campbell short story - and remember, Campbell used to write a lot of Cthulhu mythos pieces - which featured a creature called the 'Berkeley Toad'?

By an odd coincidence, this is on at midnight tomorrow night for those of you who can get BBC7... Link
(sorry, I've forgottten how to do the thing that makes urls less unwieldy)
I only half heard the trailer, so I'm not sure if it's a new story or what, but I don't think it's the same play that OldTimeRadio mentions.

[Emp edit: Fixing big link]

The format is:

{url=http://www.nameofdomain.com/blah/blah/blahblah.html}Description{/url} -- just change the { and } to [ and ].

No, the version which was broadcast around 1969 on BEYOND MIDNIGHT (South Africa) and again (with a new cast) around 1979-1980 on NIGHTFALL (Canada) was a single half-hour version. I believe the title for both broadcasts was "The Yellow Room."

The story that something creepy happened in No. 50 led to it becoming the setting for the story. Isn't that about like how Lovecraft's The Shunned House was built around the idea that a particular house in Rhode Island was haunted?

MrRING said:
'"Isn't that about like how Lovecraft's The Shunned House was built around the idea that a particular house in Rhode Island was haunted?

The story of a vampire's corpse outlined by lichens and/or noxious ground moulds originated with pioneering American folklorist Charles M. Skinner. As I recall, Skinner located the tale in Providence but as far as I know NOT in the building actually used by Lovecraft. (Photographs are available of the building Lovecraft utilized.)

I do............

.................why?

mooks

Does it mention anything about the two sailors who spent the night at 50 Berkeley Square, one of whom was killed?

....alledgedly!

Doesn't mention it was sailors who stayed in the room at 50 Berkley Square but it does say "two foolhardy persons" attempted an over night stay in one of the rooms haunted by "Raw Head" or "Bloody Bones. Not on the same night though. The second, being undeterred by the demise of the first, told his assistants "If I ring this bell once, ignore me, I'll just be nervous. If I ring twice, come get me immediately". Off he goes to bed and just after midnight the bell rings once, followed by a "great pealing" of the bell. By the time they get to the room the bell ringer was dead of convulsions. Same death as the first who attempted an over night stay.

Apparently the house is now occupied without event.

Hope it helps! Anything else...feel free to PM me!

mooks out

DrPLee said:
Does it mention anything about the two sailors who spent the night at 50 Berkeley Square, one of whom was killed?

....alledgedly!

Not so far as I recall. The earliest source I ever saw for the story of the two tars was in one of Elliott O'Donnell's books, probably GHOSTS OF LONDON, possibly ROOMS OF MYSTERY.

Years ago I researched the Berkeley Square Horror through contemporary 19th Century issues of NOTES AND QUERIES. I came across a lot of interesting stories, but the "sailors" account wasn't one of them.

I know I've got that story in one of my more recent books, Unfortunately they're all packed away for the move. I'll be able to dig through them in about 4 months time when I move to MADison...again.......

If memory recalls, I might have read that one in "The Encyclopedia of Ghosts", or possibly "The Encyclopedia of the Strange". I'll see what I can find online.

My guess is that the "two sailors" episode was some bit of oral folklore Elliott O'Donnell picked up in the neighborhood decades after the original event, if any, so we're unlikely to track down any real documentation.

OldTimeRadio said:
Years ago I researched the Berkeley Square Horror through contemporary 19th Century issues of NOTES AND QUERIES. I came across a lot of interesting stories, but the "sailors" account wasn't one of them.

Oooh I'm curious, any more deaths in the room? And was there anymore info about the electric shock the party goer next door felt?

mooks

Mooks, I published an article on the Berkeley Square house in FATE magazine more than 30 years ago. If I can remember what I did with my copy I'll prepare an extract for you.

The shock felt next door has always fascinated me, too.

Would love to have a read Oldie, everything I've ever read online is a baisc distilled version of Haunted Houses.

mooks

Oldie, is it? Why....why you....why you....why....Cough....Gasp....Stagger....floop.

MEDIC!!!!! Man down. Bring cocoa and slippers.

Actually I'm in town on Monday and you've inspired me to pop round to Berkley Square and have a look at number 50's frontage. Did the events happen in any rooms facing the street? Night be nice just to know, that was the room! Might try and grab a wee pic as well.

The electric shock? Very interesting. Raised my eye brows as I'd never heard of this phenomena in relation to hauntings / ghosts ...but electric shocks and unexplainable burns feature in alien interaction scenarios. Did the party goer receive any burns, was there any damage to either rooms of that type? Was their any physical evidence at all?

mooks

Moooksta said:
The electric shock? Very interesting. Raised my eye brows as I'd never heard of this phenomena in relation to hauntings / ghosts ...but electric shocks and unexplainable burns feature in alien interaction scenarios. Did the party goer receive any burns, was there any damage to either rooms of that type? Was their any physical evidence at all?

Let me add that there have been badly haunted apartments and even private houses where the Phenomena is also encountered next door (or in rarer cases across the street), usually (but by no means always) in muted form.

One of the most interesting cases involved a "fire poltergiest" in the Paris of 1907, which danced back and forth between two neighboring houses for nearly a week, reducing both to calcined rubble, almost like a demonic Laurel and Hardy comedy. Although the two residences were neighbors, they were separated by approximately 200 feet of yard.

For the last few months I have been researching the history of No. 50, Berkeley Square - better known to Victorian Londoners as the home of the 'Nameless Horror.' I'm not looking for ghosts in the traditional sense but have been collecting materials for an article about the development of the story, which (from what I have found in various periodicals and newspapers throughout the 1870's) seems to have been a very complex case of Chinese whispers.

The earliest story attached to the house - that of the maid who went out of her mind, and the gentlemen found dead after spending a night in the haunted room - had its origin in a story written by Rhoda Broughton in Temple Bar Magazine, Feb 1868. For those of you who are interested the story can be found here: http://www.horrormasters.com/Text/a0426.pdf.

When contacted by a reader of Notes & Queries in 1881, Miss Broughton replied that she had been told the story about a house in the country, and had transported the action to London (although her story does not give the exact location of the house) in order to protect the identity of the informant.

My question is, has anyone come across a ghost story similar to the one at Berkeley Square, but set in the countryside, that might have inspired Miss Broughton? The only clue I have so far is that she was born in Denbigh, North Wales, and in 1866/7 paid a visit to her uncle, Sheridan Le Fanu in Dublin.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreiciated!

Eva

At the end of Le Fanu's, An Account of Some Strange Disturbances in Aungier Street, the maid and her mother retell a couple of old stories about the house which, if I recall correctly, include people dying of fright or going mad after having spent the night in a particular room. Obviously it's not a rural setting, and the motif isn't exactly uncommon to ghost stories, but the mention of Le Fanu makes me wonder if they hadn't maybe taken inspiration from a common source, or if maybe Miss Broughton had been inspired by her uncle's tale.

Hi Eva

I can't remember where (might have been on tis board) but I recently read a version of the "...and if I ring again come quickly" story set in Edinburgh. If it come sback to me or I find it I'll post it up.

Meantime there was a brief discussion about 50 Berkeley Square HERE.

Old Time Radio wrote an article about it for FATE magazine but alas I never got to see it. If he was around or contactable he might be able to assist your research.

mooks out

Back