The Nanny State: Ideological Policing & Internet Censorship

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
It'd be helpful to include something about why you are posting a link - we discourage bare links.

In the link, it is clear that the new visuals won't be the notorious "bikini fighters" - which, as it says, appeal only to "some" players.

Not clear what you want us to get from this? it reinforces the idea that

* this is a minor change.

* only "some" players will be saddened.

What is it you are objecting to? actually, I'll repost the questions from before, that will be easier I think.

What is /your/ evidence for your points

* that changing artwork to appeal to more people is "censorship"?

* that female (and also others) gamers haven't been asking for this?

* that the people asking for it are the "outrage brigade/moral guardians"?

* that the people asking for it are not gamers

* that the people who care about market forces have to be gamers rather than the people making money from the game?

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
It'd be helpful to include something about why you are posting a link - we discourage bare links.

In the link, it is clear that the new visuals won't be the notorious "bikini fighters" - which, as it says, appeal only to "some" players.

Not clear what you want us to get from this? it reinforces the idea that

* this is a minor change.

* only "some" players will be saddened.

What is it you are objecting to? actually, I'll repost the questions from before, that will be easier I think.

What is /your/ evidence for your points

* that changing artwork to appeal to more people is "censorship"?

* that female (and also others) gamers haven't been asking for this?

* that the people asking for it are the "outrage brigade/moral guardians"?

* that the people asking for it are not gamers

* that the people who care about market forces have to be gamers rather than the people making money from the game?
This is so frustrating. I don't know how I can to you prove that it is censorship with out bias from sites and all I can say is all past mk games had no issues like this.

Frideswide

Staff member
The movement to get the "bikini fighter" consigned to titles meant for kiddos and/or available via purchase (of the sort you also don't like) has been going on for at least 30 years.

You've made statements that you don't believe it's so. I'm here to tell you that it is.

If you can't prove something, maybe it's becuase it isn't true? or at the least it's much more complicated than calling groups of people soundbite names?

You could start proving your points by answering the questions. Otherwise it's another statement that when people take it seriously you don't engage over, like https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...nternet-censorship.34130/page-22#post-1851692

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
The movement to get the "bikini fighter" consigned to titles meant for kiddos and/or available via purchase (of the sort you also don't like) has been going on for at least 30 years.

You've made statements that you don't believe it's so. I'm here to tell you that it is
I'm sorry you've lost me there? I'm not trying to take the pee seriously.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Well you'll never please everyone. Feminist gaming journalist Liana Kersner argues that covering up female MK characters while leaving the males shirtless is in itself sexist since it implies women who reveal their bodies are less deserving of respect than women who don't.

Frideswide

Staff member
I certainly don't have a problem with it if that's the point of the game. I'm the one who has mods up on LoversLab lolololol (Other additional content sites are available). It's the continuous use of female secondary sexual characteristics as scenery, especially when you are meant to be able to play the game in the same way as men.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Regarding boobs in games. The Dead Or Alive series is well known for showing off the fighter's boobs.

This did not end up getting a release in the west the original version that is but can't remember why ah it was because of cultural differences and the new version is not getting a release and knowing Sony they would have it censored on the ps4 in the west.

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
This could be interesting.

I've watched a clip featuring an interview with Paul Joseph Watson. It's an entirely non-political segment, but he's a rather divisive figure and I don't want to get into his politics, so I shan't link to it, but it's interesting in that it presents a personal perspective. The full film interviews five of the main targets of the recent social media bans, and although I expect it to be partisan I'm no dupe and will be interested to see what they have to say.

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 03.21.59.png

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Here's a good one. The chap banned has a fairly lucid rationale. Twitter cracks down on anti-corporate jokes and genuine debate while allowing actual self-described hate groups to build a following on their platform, yet claims its a free-speech advocate. They need to pick a bloody side because erratic inconsistency is making them look like arseholes.

DIACF2eXoAAI7xX.jpg
DIAYXVCUIAE_MsP.jpg
DIACJaZXsAA-WMu.jpg

Full story, including details of the trend for sexually harassing Tony the Tiger.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanhatesthis/you-can-release-your-great-all-inside-me-daddy

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
This could be interesting.

I've watched a clip featuring an interview with Paul Joseph Watson. It's an entirely non-political segment, but he's a rather divisive figure and I don't want to get into his politics, so I shan't link to it, but it's interesting in that it presents a personal perspective. The full film interviews five of the main targets of the recent social media bans, and although I expect it to be partisan I'm no dupe and will be interested to see what they have to say.

View attachment 17220
Here.

Not sure of release details. If this is unauthorised, it may not stay up long (seems out of sync...)

Sometimes the censorship is justified.

Facebook said Thursday it banned an Israeli company that ran an influence campaign aimed at disrupting elections in various countries and has canceled dozens of accounts engaged in spreading disinformation.

Nathaniel Gleicher, Facebook’s head of cybersecurity policy, told reporters that the tech giant had purged 65 Israeli accounts, 161 pages, dozens of groups and four Instagram accounts. Many were linked to the Archimedes Group, a Tel Aviv-based political consulting and lobbying firm that boasts of its social media skills and ability to “change reality.”

Gleicher said Facebook could not speculate about Archimedes’ motives, which “may be commercial or political.”

But he said Facebook discovered “coordinated inauthentic behavior,” with accounts posing as certain political candidates, smearing opponents and presenting as local news organizations peddling supposedly leaked information.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n...-disrupt-elections-various-countries-n1006441

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Darn it, was there tea and buns?

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Government tea and buns. Laced with LSD and RFID chips.
Then if they are indeed Government ones they will be of high quality, our tax dollars ya know ;) Have you spelt fish wrong/ :p
it not really about safeguarding kids it about control and getting as much info on people as potable for wrong think like china does know with their social credit system.
Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Then if they are indeed Government ones they will be of high quality, our tax dollars ya know ;) Have you spelt fish wrong/ :p
Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness
im not paranoid its just i can see i can see through the governments bs and its the government that are the paranoid ones.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
When I first joined Amazon, I had to prove I was over 18 to get 18-rated films and TV shows. It was not a problem.