• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Natufian Culture & The Garden Of Eden?

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
I bumped into a friend today who was eager to tell me anout the Natufians and the Eden myth. The Natufians were a culture centered in the Levant from 13000 BC to 7500BC, and were pioneers in agriculture during the epipaleolithic period. They were settled hunter-gatherers who were effectively the first culture to properly understand the issue of planting seeds for harvest. I have heard an interesting hypothesis that the Natufians had a period of great abundance after an ice age wherein they learned the arts of agriculture, as they were able to remain in one place for extended periods without exhausting their food supply. Ultimately the warm period ends and the next ice age reasserts itself and forces the Natufians to move on, but they retain the knowledge and go on ot become the first agriculturalists. Apparently this can be traced archaeologically and can be seen to relate to the myth cycle of the Garden of Eden (period of plenty), followed by their divine eviction (next ice age).
Natufian Culture wikipedia link

9min Doco on Natufian agriculture

Has anyone heard anything similar? I was told there was a doco on the subject but I have been unable to find it and the friend in question couldn't remember what it was called.

Back