• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Necronomicon

Made Up

The Necronomicon was made up by H. P. Lovecraft for his Cthulhu Mythos stories.

Since then people have believed it real and some have, as these cool links show, actually produced versions of it.

I actually know a guy who wrote and published one of the best-selling versions of it.

All bunk, folks. Believing this is a failure of a relatively low-grade IQ test and is one step away from Buffyism.

Re: Made Up

FraterLibre said:
The Necronomicon was made up by H. P. Lovecraft for his Cthulhu Mythos stories.

Since then people have believed it real and some have, as these cool links show, actually produced versions of it.

I actually know a guy who wrote and published one of the best-selling versions of it.

All bunk, folks. Believing this is a failure of a relatively low-grade IQ test and is one step away from Buffyism.

LOL - yu would hope people would realise this but this extract from The Zero Files suggests otherwise:

-- -- --

Recently, before these terrorist acts, I made a usual request that you investigate the Necronomicon. I do not know if you took me seriously, as I realize you are still enslaved by the physical realm and refuse to open your mind to this spiritual war that is clearly discussed in Revelations, but in case you did, I wanted to add a little information.

-- From the Zero Files, 10/22/2001-- -- --

But I'm not sure what you are saying about Buffy - of course shes real!!

Emps

Buffyism

Buffyism is the childish belief in simplistic, cartoonish magical and supernatural and occult things. When an enthusiastic and uninformed person who buys into all manner of unexamined stories comes along, one might say, "Ah, a Buffy."

FL: Then it strikes me that it isn't one step from Buffyism (which I thought was a disease which turned one into a perky, blonde stick) it is Buffyism.

Emps

Well... Yes

LOL - Yes, true. Although in fairness belief in the Necronomicon as an actual dark, dire occult tome is one of the less annoying forms of Buffyism. One step worse are those who claim HPL was a master fo the Dark Arts and encoded all manner of hidden and forbidden knowledge in his pulp horror stories.

Truth is, he was a rather notorious racist, atheist, and shut-in.

Ah yes...and thus we have a new conspiracy theory.... Lovecraft was actually Aleister Crowley!! Yes, it all fits together now... Cthulhu is a metaphor for satan... :devil: :madeyes:

Uh, No

Oh no, sorry, that doesn't fit even vaguely, your notions of Crowley are unfortunately typical but entirely off-the-mark. He'd have scared Lovecraft literally to death, I imagine.

A better conspiracy would be that Lovecraft was Donald Rumsfeld's twisted great-uncle who trained him in lying, cheating, swindling, and treason-for-profit just so they could conquer Iraq, where the Gate is easiest to open.

Necronomicon

Are there different versions of this book (not the collected works of Lovecraft version)? I've managed to get hold of one which, I suppose, is Simon's version; it's all rather intruiging and thought provoking, but I wonder if this is what could be considered a 'definitive' version or are there better ones out there, or maybe none?

There's there's this version by George Hay, David Langford and Colin Wilson.

At: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1871438160/102-3516500-4528935?v=glance

Which is fiction, like the Simon book - the Necronomicon is one of the most influential books that doesn't exist.

Also found this at:
http://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/cthulhu-hymnal/you-cant-be-shown-one.html

A Cthulhu Hymnal - Dennis Maggard.

The Necronomicon? You can't be shown one!
While the libraries never will loan one!
But if it's so rare
And guarded with care
Why does every nut case seem to own one?

Fictional though it be, it doth remaineth a cracking read!

So mote it be!

I suppose this has already been discussed to death on some older threads, but you'd think that the names of the gods must have been taken from some kind of source, kind of like using a mish mash of mythology from various cultures to come up with this story.

I refer you to *The Necronomicon Files: The Truth Behind the Legend,* by Daniel Harms and John Wisdom Gonce, III.
Nightshade Books, 1998. In the chapter titled: "Many a Quaint and Curious Volume: The Necronomicon Made Flesh," Harms lists the following Necronomicon hoaxes/jokes/fan labors of love:

The Faraday Review: Although Harms could not track down a copy of the paper in question, correspondence and other papers indicate that Donald A. Wollheim, at some point in the early 1930s, submitted to a small town Connecticut newspaper a review of a new English translation of the Necronomicon by one W.T. Faraday. This was supposed to be the second publication since the Wormius edition and "only a third as long as the original, as the translator excised the manuscript 'for safety's sake.'" The translation itself, of course, never existed.

Cultus Maleficarum (The Sussex Manuscript), by Fred Pelton. Pelton was an active fan and based his "translation" on both Lovecraft and the more dualistic Derleth version of the mythos. Pelton was a very serous fanboy indeed, going so far as to create an illuminated leather-bound copy, which Derleth actually considered for publication at Arkham House. Although the location of the original manuscript is unknown, Edward P. Berglund obtained a photocopy for publication in his fanzine *Crypt of Cthulhu.*

The Necronomicon for Sale
Ads advertising or requesting copies of the Necronomicon have appeared in various bibliophile magazines; the ads have been hoaxes, but some of the requests are undoubtedly genuine, people being what they are.

Druillet's Leaves from the Necronomicon
Philippe Druillet, a French illustrator, published plates of "pages from the Necronomicon" in a magazine called Anubis and a special Lovecraft-themed issue of Heavy Metal. "The pages themselves are unreadable, but feature a great deal of mystical-looking calligraphy and sketches of alien monsters with bat-wings and inhuman faces." A promised "complete" book never materialized, but the pages have floated around the net.

The Necronomicon: A Study
1967 - a book-length edition from Jack Chalker's Mirage Press, Baltimore. "The book is usually listed under Mark Owings' name in catalogs, but I have been informed that Owings researched the book and Chalker wrote it and then published it under special arrangement with Arkham House." This was a limited edition of 600 copies, and includes Lovecraft's essay "History and Chronology of the Necronomicon," quotations from the book used in mythos fiction, a bibliography listing all the editions and copies that Owings could document from the stories (including non-Lovecraft material).

De Camp's Al Azif
Owlswick Press, 1973. Technically this should be George Scithers's Al Azif, as he produced the faux-Arabic pages and asked L. Sprague De Camp to provide an introduction, which is suitably exciting. "The pages at beginning and the end of the 'Duriac' manuscript differ widely from each other, but those in the middle repeat a sequence of sixteen pages, half of these differing from the other half only by a few characters at the ends of some lines." Until the mass paperback appeared, this was the Necronomicon you were most likely to run across by accident; and many people persisted in believing it despite the page repetition. (If your cover letter ordering the book hinted that you believed the book was real, Scithers would return your check.)

The Culp Necronomicon
1976, Robert C. Culp, Esoteric Order of Dagon. This fan-produced work is apparently more a story than a grimoire.

H.R. Giger's Necronomicon
1977 - A two-volume art book inspired by the mythos

The Simon Necronomicon
The mass-market paperback.
Harms starts talking about this book on page 61, and continues to p. 67. Later, Gonce - who is a practicing ritual magician - goes on at length about it, labeling it "the Anarchist's Handbook of grimoires." I'm not even going to try to summarize their material, as I have a horse's birthday party to attend and want to finish this entry in time to prepare.

The Hay Necronomicon
Although this book is called the Hay Necronomicon, it's clear that Harms believes the crucial person involved with it is Colin Wilson, with whom I'm sure everyone here is already familiar. It appeared in 1978, and was reprinted in paperback in 1992 by Skoob Esoterica.

Das Necronomicon
Gregor A. Gregorius, Verlag Richard Schikowski, Berlin, 1980. A German translation of the Simon Necronomicon in conjunction with a translation of a genuine medieval grimoire, The Goetia. Gregor A. Gregorius was a pseudonym for Eugen Grosche, head of the German occult group Fraternitas Saturni, a branch of the Ordo Templi Orientalis; however, Grosche died in 1961.

The Carter Necronomicon
Although short stories claimed to be from "the Dee translation" of the Necronomicon appeared during Carter's lifetime, Carter's Necronomicon material was not collected together and published until after his death, first by the fanzine Crypt of Cthulhu and then by Robert M. Price, as discussed in the next entry:

The Price Necronomicon
Chaosium (that's the Call of Cthulhu game people), 1996; those of you who've seen their trade paperback collections will instantly be able to picture this. It collects Mythos stories, the Sussex Manuscript, the Carter Necronomicon, and essays and editorial matter by Robert M. Price, the editor of Crypt of Cthulhu. I can heartily recommend any Chaosium product; but that's neither here nor there.

Black's Necronomicon
A hijacking of the name for the title of a collection from a magazine focusing on Horror and Erotic Cinema.

Necronomicum Novum
John Opsopaus - first appeared in a hard copy 1995 issue of Mythos magazine, since floating around the net; oddly, has more to do with Mediterranean myth than Lovecraft

Other Necronomicons
A rundown of rumors and plea for copies.

And who knows what's been going on since 1998!

So, the short answer is: No, there is no definitive version.

Mr Snowman said:
but you'd think that the names of the gods must have been taken from some kind of source, kind of like using a mish mash of mythology from various cultures to come up with this story.

Took me forever to write and edit my post and I didn't see this till after I hit "post reply," or I'd have answered you there. The gods named in the Simon Necronomicon are Sumerian - a mythology in which Lovecraft had no interest whatsoever, but there you are.

Crumbs! That's a lot of Necronomicii! It seems like it's the one story that has been retold in the most different forms!

On the basis of your information, I feel quite comfortable with Simon's... what was that about a horses party though? :confused:

I've been looking for it recently... I was originally under the impression that it was 'real' (as in, actually written in 7xxAD by that arabic guy). The article on Lovecraft in FT sparked my interest, and I tried to dig out the true story. I haven't yet (couldn't find much information on it at the library) but its pretty obvious its a 20th century creation and I find it absolutely fascinating that some people think it (and the Cthulu mythos) is real.

Mention ought to be given to Kenneth Grant. In his series of peculiar books, Grant has suggested that Lovecraft was acting as a medium for the Elder Gods who actually exist in another dimension. In the process he weaves Lovecraft's mythos with the philosophies of Crowley & Spare into a baroque whole. Not called the 'Mauve Zone' for nothing.

Grant's books have been republished by Skoob (who have also reissued the Hay-Wilson 'Necronomicon') and sit nicely on the shelf between Keel and Robert Anton Wilson.

Alexius said:
Mention ought to be given to Kenneth Grant. In his series of peculiar books, Grant has suggested that Lovecraft was acting as a medium for the Elder Gods who actually exist in another dimension. In the process he weaves Lovecraft's mythos with the philosophies of Crowley & Spare into a baroque whole. Not called the 'Mauve Zone' for nothing.

Grant's books have been republished by Skoob (who have also reissued the Hay-Wilson 'Necronomicon') and sit nicely on the shelf between Keel and Robert Anton Wilson.
I don't know.

There dose seem to be this strong critical thread that says that writers and artists can't dream things up out of thier imaginations, they have to actually have got the idea from somewhere.

Whether it be a character, situation, or race of eldritch demonic gods. No one's allowed the luxury of invention.

I never thought that Lovecraft's work was that good. His heavily mannered writing style is clumsy and old fashioned, even for the 1930's. Sometimes it seems like even the Master of American fantastic fiction, EA Poe, writing a century earlier, had a racier style. But, perhaps that's part of its charm. If people read more short stories, from the likes of 'Weird Tales', they'd realise there was more and sometimes better of a similiar nature out there. I used to like reading stuff by Clark Ashton Smith. He was every bit as weird.

Lovecraft had a few decent (or indecent) ideas, based on his inability to put labels on some of his very deep sexual and racial phobias.

His real gift was actually to run out of superlatives and descriptive hyperbole, just as the climax of the horrors in his tales occurs. It usual leaves a handy vacuum, for the reader to fill wih their own imaginings. So that they end up doing most of the work. The eldritch horrors peeping out from between the sheets of Lovecraft's works are those in the minds of his readers.

It's a trick that's obviously worked for Lovecraft, as his reputation continues to grow.

Edit: spelling, legibilty, tidiness.

AndroMan said:
I never thought that Lovecraft's work was that good. His heavily mannered writing style is clumsy and old fashioned, even for the 1930's. Sometimes it seems like even the Master of American fantastic fiction, EA Poe, writing a century earlier, had a racier style. But, perhaps that's part of its charm. If people read more short stories, from the likes of 'Weird Tales', they'd realise there was more and sometimes better of a similiar nature out there. I used to like reading stuff by Clark Ashton Smith. He was every bit as weird.

His mannerd style was what I liked. He couldn't survive without modernism wich alowed him to experement with elipses in a dramatic way but at the same time he employes a deliberatly old fassioned style wich suits his rather pompos characters.

I agree. It was the florid style and the redolence of midnights within the work that gave it an other worldliness. Clark Ashton Smith too though is a favourite and reminds me of Keats in certain ways. An acclaimed poet, Smith wrote a few belters employing achingly lovely prose, such as The Death of Ilaloatha or The End of the Tale.

Lovecraft's appeal has been enduring not only because of his subject matter, but because of the emerging contemporary idea of exploring the effect of horrors on the psyche.

Not timeless, but to me in the same way that Marlow or even Wilde.

LD

and his novela (I'll get this wrong I know I will...) The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadeth has some absolutly lovely images in it. The opening two pages...*sigh*

I'd say that his intrest in the psychological effects of experence and his reworking of the gothic (the untrustworthy narator) mark him out as a modern writer regardless of the antique style.

Phill James said:
Stu Neville said:
I think that's the Map of Piri Reis, isn't it? Not really a Lovecraft thing...

got that bit from, er, Beneath the Mountain of Terror (apologies, i think that's not the right title) first Lovecraft story i read...

I believe you're looking for Beneath the Mountains of Madness maybe?

From the same site linked above (a great site, btw):
[4] I examine the possible identity of the person, or persons, using the pseudonym "Simon" at length in my book The Necronomicon Files, The Truth Behind the Legend. Forthcoming from Red Wheel/Weiser not later than autumn 2002.

http://www.gatewaystobabylon.com/essays/wizzards1jgonce.html

Has anybody read it? Just curious to see who perpetrated it.

I actually tried to read it once, back when I was seeing someone who claimed to be a ritual magician. I don't remember what nonsense he may have spouted about it. It was boring as all get out and didn't even try to tie into the mythos properly. I can get through books other people cry tears of dust over, but this one just didn't repay the effort.

One friend of mine used the lists of names - mostly Babylonian I believe - for his D&D characters. That's the most constructive thing I've ever heard anyone use it for.

the second, revised, edition of The Necronomicon Files has absolutely everything you would want to know up until its publication date (2004?). so it would exclude, for instance the Donald Tyson Necronomicon which came out this year.

the book has plenty of information on the NYC occultist scene which produced the Simon Necronomicon, outs the primary author as Peter Levenda (author of the nonfiction book on neo-Naziism and the occult, Unholy Alliance). (Chris Claremont of The X-Men used to hang out in the scene!)

it covers the Cthulhu Mythos in occultism, various hoax volumes... lots, really. a really exhaustive study. it should answer just any question anyone would happen to have.

Just had a look at one of those "Necronomicon"'s in a bookshop, it was mince. I just find it laughable that these texts saying you can summon old ones etc are on sale in high street bookshops.

I havent noticed thousands of people going insane, gibbering "Ia Ftagn" or being ripped apart by invisible monsters in the street. lol

The Liber Logaeth is just a rehash of other occult texts anyway. The Spheres of Yog Sothoth sound awfully Goetian...which is because they are!

Back