The New Members' Thread

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Hello, my names Mungoman the second, and it's been 5 minutes since my last think. It started when I was a child, born with a rather precocious mind, that caused me to think. I realised after a while I couldn't operate without thinking, and this caused problems at school where I was told that I wasn't here to think, but to learn.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get by without thinking, and it has been an all important part in all my life - I now realise that I will always be a thinker, so I will take each day as it comes.

Oh Bog,
grant me the serenity to accept the thinks I cannot change,
The courage to change the thinks I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Hello. My name's not really Peripart, but I seem to be stuck with this rather camp-sounding monicker, just because it was all my brain could conjure up when I joined. Something to do with the last book I'd read.

Anyhow, I've bought a few copies of the FT, found IHTM interesting, and thought I'd sign up here. Not much strange has ever happened to me, so I don't suppose I'll have much to contribute. Doubt if I'll ever reach 100 posts, but I don't mind lurking and reading about what everyone else has been up to.

Hello I'm Coal and I'm a coffeeholic. And a singlemaltaholic. Vaguely interested in electronics for 30 odd years, given it up for psychology. Quite interested in anything that doesn't 'fit' and kaos. Too logical for my own good. :cooll:

Love it here! :clap:

I'm Ramon, reading History, Classics & Theology at TCD.

Interests include Science Fiction & Horror films and fiction; Independent films; World Cinema; History; Politics. All things Fortean with an emphasis on Conspiracies, Cults, Archaeology, Anthropology.

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Zeke's the name: it's a composite of a character in a trashy S.F novel and a character from a good one off TV drama, both from times past, and you'll never find them.

I live in a land faraway.I sip Dutch and Czech lagers in dim and secluded taverns and believe in flying saucers. I alternate between Red and Yellow. I am an agnostic who prays to the absence of God.

It would be good if I were a `bit of a lad`, or a `Grumpy Old Man` - and sometimes I actually am -but mostly I'm a sombre wonk.

One of my heroes is Boris Karloff.

Fantastic science is the blood in my veins. Credo: dignity before death.

I neither love nor am loved, but I am handsome: if you could just see me without this suit!

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger
Zeke's the name: it's a composite of a character in a trashy S.F novel and a character from a good one off TV drama, both from times past, and you'll never find them.

I live in a land faraway.I sip Dutch and Czech lagers in dim and secluded taverns and believe in flying saucers. I alternate between Red and Yellow. I am an agnostic who prays to the absence of God.

It would be good if I were a `bit of a lad`, or a `Grumpy Old Man` - and sometimes I actually am -but mostly I'm a sombre wonk.

One of my heroes is Boris Karloff.

Fantastic science is the blood in my veins. Credo: dignity before death.

I neither love nor am loved, but I am handsome: if you could just see me without this suit!

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Hello. I'm Recycled ("recycled teenager" or "reincarnated soul" -whatever!)
I'm a quite elderly lady who likes to write limericks and attend the local Spiritualist church (boo! hiss!)

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
Lurking is most honorable. I lurk much more than I post. In some forums I never post. I BELIEVE IN LURKING, YOU BASTARD BITCH MOD AT THE ETIQUETTE HELL FORUM!
Ooops, I lurk much more than I rant, too, just got a bit comfy here. This is a comfy forum. Enjoy.

Hild und hjalmi

The fantasy-loving singing Valkyrie
Hi. I'm Hild. My username comes from Norse mythology ("Hild under the helmet".). I'm an Australian woman in my 20s who's studying Arts at uni. I like to read Tolkien and write fantasy and science fiction stories and I'm interested in folklore. I'll probably lurk more than post.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm Hild. My username comes from Norse mythology ("Hild under the helmet"). I'm an Australian woman in my 20s who's studying Arts at uni. I like to read Tolkien and write fantasy and science fiction stories and I'm interested in folklore. I'll probably lurk more than post.
Welcome to the FTMB.

Hild und hjalmi

The fantasy-loving singing Valkyrie
Hi. I'm Hild. My username comes from Norse mythology.* I'm an Australian woman in my 20s who's studying Arts at uni. I like to read Tolkien and write fantasy and science fiction stories, I'm interested in folklore and I'll probably lurk more than post.

*"Hild under the helmet"*
Welcome to the FTMB.
Thanks.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Hi. I'm Hild. My username comes from Norse mythology ("Hild under the helmet".). I'm an Australian woman in my 20s who's studying Arts at uni. I like to read Tolkien and write fantasy and science fiction stories and I'm interested in folklore. I'll probably lurk more than post.

G'day Hild, and welcome - There's nothing I like more than a good old Lurk.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Well hello,

Not sure if I'm a newbie or not...kind of I guess.

I'm James, 39, I live in Norfolk. On the East Coast.

I have a dog and have little else to say about myself :)

I find myself in the strange camp of being both highly sceptical of most paranormal phenomena but also highly believing. I guess I feel that around 99.9% of reported paranormal shenanigans has a perfectly rational and mundane explanation however, for the remaining .1% I will defend it's genuine "reality" to the death.

My two favourite books on these subjects, and those that mould my understandings and belief on the paranormal are Patrick Harpur's "Daemonic Reality" and John Keel's "The Mothman Prophecies". Both come from very different times and places but essentially conclude the same thing - paranormal phenomena are real. However, it is our paradigm of reality and unreality that cause all the confusion and dissonance. For example, our desire for scientific evidence of the paranormal will never yield results as paranormal phenomena, by definition, don't play by those rules. All very simplified of course but they are two great writers that are very dear to me.

I have an interest in history, cryptozoology, the occult, psychogeography, psychoarchitecture, UFOs, art, natural history, folklore...too much to mention. Have an incurable thirst for ideas and the weird. Used to be a practising magician, not so much now.

Still awake? Hope so.

Cheers all.

James.

Last edited: