The New Members' Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Hi - new to this forum but been reading the magazine on and off for 20 years, I'm interested in a wide range of strange beliefs (i was brought up as a catholic!) whether it's UFOs or faeries or werewolves, magick, the dark gods or whatever. I like first-hand accounts, especially if there's a drawing or two! On the ufology side I enjoy the 50s and 60s era of benevolent space brothers etc - just got Wilhelm Reich's Contact With Space - could be hard going! Currently I'm reading an Arthur Machen anthology.
Hoping for some more reading tips (e.g. is Montague Summers readable at all?) and entertaining discussions.
Onwards!
smnmy ... can I borrow a fiver? . I'm good for it on payday? ..

Brown Jenkin,

Pleased to meet you.

...but will poke my nose into any threads that I feel a poked nose is necessary. ..

Not only is it deemed necessary, it is almost mandated.

INT21.
Haha, cheers. I now know one of the unwritten rules of the forum ;)

Thanks for the welcome by everyone. I know I could search myself, but just to be lazy I will ask on here is there a book section on the forums? I imagine it might be sacrilegious to some on here, but I only recently began reading some HP Lovecraft. And so you can see from my profile name - after one of the characters I encountered in a story called 'The Dreams in the Witch House'. Some wonderful and OTT descriptive lines and, indeed, whole paragraphs every page or so have me smiling when I probably should be shuddering.

smnmy

kurious oranj
Naa .. just me being daft and joking around .. sorry if I've stepped over the line and welcome to Forteana.
no lines crossed, joking understood, glad to be here.

Thanks for the welcome by everyone.
Hi Brown Jenkin - It's a long time since I read Lovecraft (30 yrs!) so didn't spot the reference - i thought you were called Brown Jerkin! The stories that have stayed with me most are The Evil Clergyman and At The Mountains of Madness. I would find his overt racism hard to take as a reader these days though.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
Thanks for the welcome by everyone. I know I could search myself, but just to be lazy I will ask on here is there a book section on the forums? I imagine it might be sacrilegious to some on here, but I only recently began reading some HP Lovecraft. And so you can see from my profile name - after one of the characters I encountered in a story called 'The Dreams in the Witch House'. Some wonderful and OTT descriptive lines and, indeed, whole paragraphs every page or so have me smiling when I probably should be shuddering.
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/suggestions-for-a-good-read.13479/page-49#post-1815646

I think there are other book threads in Fortean Culture.

Lovecraft thread here:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...hy-did-nobody-make-me-read-this-before.50350/

I'm a big Lovecraft fan and imagine others are too, post away!

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Nice combination of gifs there; Frideswide.

I sometimes have dream very similar in content.

INT21.

Hello. I just heard about this forum from a friend and decided to give it a try. I'm a Ceremonial Magick practitioner and I also wrote a couple of books on the topic. Can you please direct me to the threads on selling stuff? Couldn't seem to find them. Thank you!

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/suggestions-for-a-good-read.13479/page-49#post-1815646

I think there are other book threads in Fortean Culture.

Lovecraft thread here:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...hy-did-nobody-make-me-read-this-before.50350/

I'm a big Lovecraft fan and imagine others are too, post away!
Hi and thanks for the information. I just checked on the link for the Lovecraft thread and it seems like nothing new has been posted there for years. So I am going to post a couple of lines I liked reading the other day from his story 'The Lurking Fear'.

no lines crossed, joking understood, glad to be here.

Hi Brown Jenkin - It's a long time since I read Lovecraft (30 yrs!) so didn't spot the reference - i thought you were called Brown Jerkin! The stories that have stayed with me most are The Evil Clergyman and At The Mountains of Madness. I would find his overt racism hard to take as a reader these days though.
Hi and thanks for the recommendations. I'll put them on my (very long) list of things to read. I've only read a few of his short stories so far and I don't think I've encountered his racism yet. Although I admit I'm generally a little forgiving of writers from 'the old days' in terms of things being of their time and perhaps not being unusual or unacceptable back then. Well, I thought Brown Jenkin was a dodgy name to use but you've just shown how, by swapping just one letter, it could've been a hole lot worse, hehe.

AmCuriousNJ

Junior Acolyte
Welcome! New Jersey eh, noticed any fat mobsters loitering?
Thank you for welcoming me. I'm not sure about the fat mobsters, but my neighborhood does have some bad people with violent criminal backgrounds. And many of the people in this neighborhood are just mean-spirited nasty people. (All the more reason to try to find some Fortean-related people to associate with.)

AmCuriousNJ

Junior Acolyte
Glad to be of assistance. :) Good to see you posting on the new forum.

That is strange. One might even say Fortean. Looking at the Wikipedia entry for Hoboken Cemetery, I see that it says:

The Secaucus Junction was built on land that was partially the Hudson County Burial Grounds. The exhumed bodies were to be re-interred at the Hoboken Cemetery but that was cancelled when the cemetery was found to have been recycling older full graves that did not have tombstones, and selling them as virgin plots. The cemetery said it has no record of any bodies being buried in those plots.

I wonder if something similar could have happened in the Machpelah Cemetary which is right next door.

(Not sure how to quote everything when I post a reply, yet.)
I've often wondered if something like that has happened, maybe someone being buried in what was her grave. That part of town also gets flooded pretty easily, and I've also thought that maybe her grave became damaged from flooding. My parents used to visit her grave fairly often, but they've been dead for some years. The more distant relatives don't seem to care what has happened to her grave, a shame.

AmCuriousNJ

Junior Acolyte
Glad to be of assistance. :) Good to see you posting on the new forum.

It's sad that there don't seem to be any Fortean groups left in the area.

Yes, it is a disappointment that there don't seem to be any Fortean groups nearby. It is especially frustrating that Manhattan is promoted as offering endless cultural events. But my experience is that ever since about the 1980's when Wall Street Finance become Manhattan's most intense focus, Manhattan has become a place that lacks a sense of adventure. That probably has much to do with why there is a lack of any Fortean groups currently in this area. (Also, the rents are outrageous, which also probably has something to do with any Fortean groups moving to other places.)

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Thank you for welcoming me. I'm not sure about the fat mobsters, but my neighborhood does have some bad people with violent criminal backgrounds. And many of the people in this neighborhood are just mean-spirited nasty people. (All the more reason to try to find some Fortean-related people to associate with.)
You're among friends here!

I'm a big Sopranos fan and would like to visit NJ and take a locations tour.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
..I'm a big Sopranos fan ..

Yes, we've seen the pictures.

Or maybe you are a big fan of the Sopranos...

INT21 ;)