The New Members' Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Thank you for letting me into your sanctum. I came across the board after doing a search on robins. What I found intrigued me enough to start looking up links about the Charles Fort Institute, thus cementing my interest in wanting to belong to a forum such as this. It's what I have been hoping to find. I'll say no more for now as there is nothing worse than newbies going on and on but I am going to begin checking out some of the threads on here and look forward to getting to know you better.
Was it the thread about robins being symbols/messengers of the dead?

Edit: This one: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/are-robins-symbols-of-dead-loved-ones.13202/

Because it's amazing how many reads that gets from non-members--some of who then sign up.

Welcome, by the way.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Hello Violetincornwall. I'm a newbie too. Theres so much to read here, it's very exciting.
If you can't find something you'd like to look at, chances are we have a thread on it. The search function is a little unpredictable but you can ask t'Mods to dig things out for you.

Threads aren't automatically closed to replies so you can resurrect an old one with a new post if the fancy takes you. We love that!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

Rahere

Junior Acolyte
As a by-product of a huge IQ, I'm hyperperceptive and hyperserendipitous - in the hardest of terms. Don't ask me what's going to win the 2:15 at Cheltenham, though, it doesn't work that way. I'd likely answer "A horse" and leave it at that. Unless the exact horse winning were for some Fortean reason significant on a different scale of things.
I'm a founder member of The Warburg Institute's Esoteroic Studies Reading Group, I recognise the odd quirk of the Poisson low-odds distribution, which implies the possibility of low-odds events gathering in a clump, which may be a key to some of the Fortean sense ofi causative coincidence, but have channelled the exoteric as well - it's not esoteric.
At the moment, I'm interested in examining the inner workings of my mind, given that the information I needed had been withheld from me for most of my life - I joined the IQ baseline group aged 12, and so could never test. Part of that includes the element of autosuggestion, in the use of Ganzfeld techniques to compensate for sensory deprivation.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
As a by-product of a huge IQ, I'm hyperperceptive and hyperserendipitous - in the hardest of terms. Don't ask me what's going to win the 2:15 at Cheltenham, though, it doesn't work that way. I'd likely answer "A horse" and leave it at that. Unless the exact horse winning were for some Fortean reason significant on a different scale of things.
I'm a founder member of The Warburg Institute's Esoteroic Studies Reading Group, I recognise the odd quirk of the Poisson low-odds distribution, which implies the possibility of low-odds events gathering in a clump, which may be a key to some of the Fortean sense ofi causative coincidence, but have channelled the exoteric as well - it's not esoteric.
At the moment, I'm interested in examining the inner workings of my mind, given that the information I needed had been withheld from me for most of my life - I joined the IQ baseline group aged 12, and so could never test. Part of that includes the element of autosuggestion, in the use of Ganzfeld techniques to compensate for sensory deprivation.
I think that you're going to fit in here very well.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
Seriously, it has almost twice as many views as the next most-viewed thread in the forum:

View attachment 15395
As a relative newcomer myself, I'd like to encourage anyone who's ever doubted whether or not they may have something to contribute here, that they absolutely do. We all have our own experiences, opinions and beliefs and this is a forum to share them in, with a like minded and friendly, welcoming bunch.
A small aside regarding the robin thread, I once ran a quite successful paranormal blog (no longer in existence) and it's most popular story that garnered the most comments was one titled 'Do our pets visit us after their death?'

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
IQ? what's IQ ?, is that the guy from ST:NG stating who he is with bad grammar ?

Rahere

Junior Acolyte
Numbers can go up to 170?
Actually, base 163. And my score there was once 10, intersecting the two data sets. I'd love to meet the other one at that level.
Part of the headaches I've experienced is the Army telling me nobody'll understand me, and colleagues doing the sightseeing tour. What I've experienced is that it's indeed like the military - the odd five minutes when it matters followed by years of recovery.