The New Members' Thread

FunkyTT

Fresh Blood
hello all,

I'm been called Tomo since school (Im a girl , everyone a!ways thinks it's a lads name) , and I like think I'm funky. I've used this handle on all forums over the years. Used to post on the David Icke forum a little , but the new one is lizard - free. (The reptilian threads were the most entertaining IMO "I'm only here for the lizards!!). I've !lurked here while and love it. Im well into conspiracy, cryptids, ect so it's right up my street. I've also read the mag for many years now.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
If that is you in the pic, I love your hair colour, welcome

Eslop971

Vampire Ambassador
Hey I saw this community and thought it could help me find others of my kind I'm a luck energy vampire I turned myself into what I am now by using a ritual I made by having a demon's essence weaved into my flesh based loosely off of the ann rice vampire books as to how vampires were first created and I love H.P. Lovecraft what is dead may not die so that eons might survive

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Hey I saw this community and thought it could help me find others of my kind I'm a luck energy vampire I turned myself into what I am now by using a ritual I made by having a demon's essence weaved into my flesh based loosely off of the ann rice vampire books as to how vampires were first created and I love H.P. Lovecraft what is dead may not die so that eons might survive
.. 'sup homey? ..

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
If you come here to genuinely contribute and research, you are very welcome, but please be aware that this is not a roleplaying forum.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Do they all look like lil live helicopters?

Sorry, that is what i am envisaging

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Completely new to all this and a bit shy so I may be more of a lurker type. I am into cryptids, folklore, the supernatural, conspiracies, anything odd. Looking forward to browsing around and maybe going down a rabbit hole or two.
Welcome on board. Everyone's friendly, so get active and enjoy yourself.

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Completely new to all this and a bit shy so I may be more of a lurker type. I am into cryptids, folklore, the supernatural, conspiracies, anything odd. Looking forward to browsing around and maybe going down a rabbit hole or two.
Good to have you here.

Please feel free to dig up old discussions with new questions and comments and get in touch if you have any problems.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Welcome! :)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
What's an octopi ?
We've had this discussion before and the conclusion was that Octopi is not even the correct plural. If it's Englished (that's a new word I just made up): it's octopuses, but if you want to keep it authentic 'octopus' is Greek (not Latin), so the plural is 'octopodes' (ok-TOP-uh-dees, like antipodes). It looks like a second-declension masculine noun (like dominus, plural: domini), but it was an Greek loanword.

Last edited:

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
We've had this discussion before and the conclusion was that Octopi is not even the correct plural. If it's Englished (that's a new word I just made up): it's octopuses, but if you want to keep it authentic 'octopus' is Greek (not Latin), so the plural is 'octopodes' (ok-TOP-uh-dees, like antipodes). It looks like a second-declension masculine noun (like dominus, plural: domini), but it was an Greek loanword.
I never studied that other popular ancient language, so it is all very much Greek to me. I was aware of the controversy over cephalopodic spellings, but this is the first time I learn of the pronunciation, thank you. But I haz a question: does that mean that a singular antipode is in fact an antipus?

Hello and welcome to all newcomers, incidentally. You keep us on our tentacle tips toes, and that's a very healthy position to maintain.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I never studied that other popular ancient language, so it is all very much Greek to me. I was aware of the controversy over cephalopodic spellings, but this is the first time I learn of the pronunciation, thank you. But I haz a question: does that mean that a singular antipode is in fact an antipus?

Hello and welcome to all newcomers, incidentally. You keep us on our tentacle tips toes, and that's a very healthy position to maintain.
I'm a bit of a faker in as much as the only Greek I had to learn was for my ancient philosophy, which required almost no grammar, but as far as I can see...

An antipode is already a singular.

However, a quick search suggests that the word 'antipode' didn't exist as a Latin or a Greek word; it is an English back-formation from 'antipodes'.

Antipodes (ἀντίποδες) was the Greek plural noun:

Anti (ἀντί) = opposite + podes (πόδες) = feet. So idiomatically that which stands opposite.​

The singular of 'podes' (πόδες) was 'pous' (πούς), which gives a singular for antipodes as antipous, I think, but that might be notional and never have actually existed for all I know.

And, yes, that's the same 'pous' that is 'Englished' as 'pus' as in octopus (ὀκτώπούς), which is what probably sparked your question.

If, like me, you're wondering why it isn't 'octopodes' for the singular, one creature having eight legs (not 'eight foot'), it's because octopus in Greek means 'eight-legged' not 'eight legs' (it's identical as both adjective and noun, the noun implied it being a thing: 'eight-legged one').

As to the correct pronunciation, I just looked it up. I know that the stress in Greek can only fall on the last, the second from last, and the third from last syllables (the ultima / the penult / the antepenult), and that which it is frequently depends on the vowel length of the ultima, but the niceities are beyond me.

Should you be masochistic in this area, see here:
http://www.chioulaoshi.org/BG/Paradigms/accents.html

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Could you settle an old teaser for me please Yith ? Television is 'tele' (Greek) far and 'visio' (Latin) sight.
My mate used to say it could have been called ??? if far was in Latin and sight was in Greek.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Could you settle an old teaser for me please Yith ? Television is 'tele' (Greek) far and 'visio' (Latin) sight.
My mate used to say it could have been called ??? if far was in Latin and sight was in Greek.
Sorry, I missed this.

I don't know!

My guess--and it's a guess--is to use procul (Latin) + hórasis (ὅρασις) (Greek).

That gives Proculhorasis, but the constituents of the word 'television' had gone through (Old) French before they made it to modern English and I am not qualified to tell you what the resulting form could be if the same had been done with my Frankenconstruct.

@Krepostnoi?

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
Sorry, I missed this.

I don't know!

My guess--and it's a guess--is to use procul (Latin) + hórasis (ὅρασις) (Greek).

That gives Proculhorasis, but the constituents of the word 'television' had gone through (Old) French before they made it to modern English and I am not qualified to tell you what the resulting form could be if the same had been done with my Frankenconstruct.

@Krepostnoi?
I'm flattered you'd think I might know. I did dabble in Latin when I was younger, but as I said, Greek may as well have been a foreign language to me. Proculhorasis has (whiter) shades of prog rock to it, but Wiki suggests the band was actually named after a pedigree cat they knew... Which is unhelpful, but it's all I've got.