The New Members' Thread

INT21

Antediluvian
Possibly you could point to the post where someone accused you of not existing ?

I suspect you are referring to my post where I tried to Google your writing, and nothingcame up. The same post that I refered to Iain M Banks.

INT21

Possibly you could point to the post where someone accused you of not existing ?

I suspect you are referring to my post where I tried to Google your writing, and nothingcame up. The same post that I refered to Iain M Banks.

INT21
Yes, that's the one. There are a reasonable number of results if you Google my name.

INT21

Antediluvian
Shady,

You uttered the 'B' word.

Clearly in need of 're-programming' A man with a rain coat, grey hat smoking a cigarette will shortly be picking you up off the street. Resistance would be futile.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Welcome, dissolution!

Hmmm ... Do you mean you'd previously been registered here under another username? If so, and if you'd like to reactivate your old account or username, send a PM to me (or any of the staff) and we'll look into the possibilities.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
I'm new to Fortean so I don't know. It was deemed to be by someone else - i.e. it was described as "Spy-Fi" on one of the forums here (personally I don't consider my book to be a genre book and I wasn't even aware of the term "Spy-Fi" until it was so described).
Well this is a board for discussion of things of a Fortean nature so if it’s not Fortean then it’s not relevant to the topics here. You seem to be saying Spy-Fi is Fortean which it isn’t. Here are some definitions https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fortean

Well this is a board for discussion of things of a Fortean nature so if it’s not Fortean then it’s not relevant to the topics here. You seem to be saying Spy-Fi is Fortean which it isn’t. Here are some definitions https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fortean
I'm not saying Spy-Fi is Fortean. I'm just saying that my book was mentioned on these forums in that context.
The book is quite mysterious, difficult to figure out and makes use of speculative technology.
I imagine that is why it was mentioned on your Soy-Fi forum.
I joined Fortean on the assumption that it would be a good idea to refute the idea that I don't exist (an idea originating in a reply to the initial post).

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
I'm not saying Spy-Fi is Fortean. I'm just saying that my book was mentioned on these forums in that context.
The book is quite mysterious, difficult to figure out and makes use of speculative technology.
I imagine that is why it was mentioned on your Soy-Fi forum.
I joined Fortean on the assumption that it would be a good idea to refute the idea that I don't exist (an idea originating in a reply to the initial post).
Ok just politely asking you to keep on topic to the forum. Thanks

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
I take umbrage, sir!

It is not for individual members to act as judge and jury as to what constitutes `Fortean` and what doesn't! This forum covers a very broad spectrum of ideas and approaches - and that is its strength I think the overall drift mught be something like: `weird`, `overlooked` `speculative` and `fantastical`..(And anyone who refers to the `urban dictionary` as their go to source of reference is already beyond help anyway).

Spy-Fi is a genre of fiction which constitutes both a subset of Science Fiction and of Mystery and as such is well placed to ponder on, and speculate about, the reaches of new technologies and of psychological manipulation techniques - particualrly in relation to espionage and other forms of covert warfare between power blocs.

Fu Man Chu is Spy Fi. The Avengers/New Avengers (TV Shows) are Spy-Fi. Much of Bond is Spy-Fi. `1984` is Spy Fi... and I would suggest that Mr Rodger's novel falls within that same general remit too.

If you're still not convinced, then we have had a popular Spy Fi section on this board for a year and about seven months. Do check it out:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/spy-fi-the-new-trend.63730/

INT21

Antediluvian
By this reckoning, Asimov's trilogy (caves of steel, Robots of Dawn And ?) should be in this category as they are all basically detective stories set in a sci-fi arena.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I'm new to Fortean so I don't know. It was deemed to be by someone else - i.e. it was described as "Spy-Fi" on one of the forums here (personally I don't consider my book to be a genre book and I wasn't even aware of the term "Spy-Fi" until it was so described).
Klaus, regardless of your genre, welcome aboard.

I should have said so sooner, but I've been away/busy.

I like your avatar/book cover.