The New Members' Thread

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Hello eziofan and welcome back :)

Will the exponential rise of mobile phone cameras, CCTV, dashcams, etc see the end of cryptic sightings such as Bigfoot and lake monsters, phantom hitchhiker, etc. We shall see...
Maybe in some cases but the rise in editing software has muddied the waters. Still with us Forteans on the case the fakers aren't getting away with much. ;)

btw I clicked for a closer look of your avatar .... I can definitely see some friendly monsters in the trees behind the dear little child!!! Is it you?

Sollywos x

eziofan

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Hello eziofan and welcome back :)

Maybe in some cases but the rise in editing software has muddied the waters. Still with us Forteans on the case the fakers aren't getting away with much. ;)

btw I clicked for a closer look of your avatar .... I can definitely see some friendly monsters in the trees behind the dear little child!!! Is it you?

Sollywos x
Yes its me! 1958 in East London :chuckle:

Jabberwocky

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here. I’m originally from the north of England but have lived in Ireland for around 15 years now.

I have a lifelong interest in Forteana, starting as a young lad looking at my dad’s ‘Unexplained Mysteries’ PG Tips card collection. I was particularly taken with the photo of Patty.

As I’ve got older I’ve grown more sceptical, but still hold a strong interest in cryptozoology especially.

AndyDuncan

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Hello, all. I was active on the Forums years ago, but got distracted. I'm happy to be back. I'm a professor of English at Frostburg State University in the mountains of western Maryland, where my Fall 2021 sabbatical project focuses on regional Forteana. I'm a lifelong journalist, a longtime writing teacher, and a short-fiction writer in the fields of fantasy and science fiction, where my honors include a Nebula Award, a Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award and three World Fantasy Awards. I look forward to joining the conversation!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, all. I was active on the Forums years ago, but got distracted. I'm happy to be back. ...
Welcome back, Andy!

Would you like your new member account to be merged with your old / retired one, so your prior posts are credited to your current "self"?

If so ... Let us know.

AndyDuncan

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Welcome back, Andy!

Would you like your new member account to be merged with your old / retired one, so your prior posts are credited to your current "self"?

If so ... Let us know.
That would be great, thanks!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Hello, all. I was active on the Forums years ago, but got distracted. I'm happy to be back. I'm a professor of English at Frostburg State University in the mountains of western Maryland, where my Fall 2021 sabbatical project focuses on regional Forteana. I'm a lifelong journalist, a longtime writing teacher, and a short-fiction writer in the fields of fantasy and science fiction, where my honors include a Nebula Award, a Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award and three World Fantasy Awards. I look forward to joining the conversation!
Welcome back! I loved An Agent Of Utopia.

Frostburg sounds like a magical city!

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Hey all. My name is Paul, I'm a comic artist and illustrator. Treated myself to a subscription to FT recently and read the feature about the forums so thought I'd join :)

I'm generally quite sceptical but respectful though I definitely have had experiences I can't explain (or to a satisfactory level, at least).

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Paul!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've read FT for years and have an interest in anything weird or strange. Recently given up on all "social media" so I thought I'd give this a go instead.
Welcome! :cool:

If you have any weirdness of your own, or even a close friend's, ;) please do share! :D

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've read FT for years and have an interest in anything weird or strange. Recently given up on all "social media" so I thought I'd give this a go instead.
Welcome DeadZebedee!

I've not given up on facebook but I can only cope with it as I have this place as a refuge. You have made a wise choice. :)

Sollywos x

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I just closed my FB on Christmas Day! I recently read a book about the whole Cambridge Analytica thing and that whole aspect of manipulation IS concerning, but the main reason I left is because I noticed the news feed had turned me into a bit more of a passive observer of friends lives rather than someone who directly interacts with people as I hardly text or message anybody anymore. So I thought I'd take an extended break in the hope of it changing my habits.

However, I am self-employed and have no workmates so I often turn to the internet for my social contact in the day, hence why I'm (also) here :)

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all! Finally took the plunge and joined the forum after reading the article in the last issue of FT. Long time Fortean, wide range of interests!
Welcome to the forum! Feel free to rummage around in the forum archives and post to any threads - new or vintage - that strike your fancy.

Okarin

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Hey all. My name is Paul, I'm a comic artist and illustrator. Treated myself to a subscription to FT recently and read the feature about the forums so thought I'd join :)

I'm generally quite sceptical but respectful though I definitely have had experiences I can't explain (or to a satisfactory level, at least).
welcome Paul I'm a relatively new FT subscriber look forward to hearing your "It happened to me"!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, just joined up today, I hope my stay here is a strange one ;)
Welcome aboard, Damien.

Nice avatar.

Don't hesitate to dig up old threads with your thoughts and questions.

Damien

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Damien.

Nice avatar.

Don't hesitate to dig up old threads with your thoughts and questions.
Thanks Yithian, Funny you should say that, there is one case (from the FT magazine "It happend to me") that I would like to dig up.