The New Members' Thread

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reaction score
Hello Horsa glad you've joined us! Plenty for you to get stuck into here ... looking forward to your contributions.

I like your avatar picture and:-

'Be the light in someone's life.
Allow yourself to shine bright.
Keep yourself as sharp as a knife.
Always do what you think is right

We are a friendly bunch you'll soon get to know us. :)

Sollywos x
Hello!

I'm browsing now.

Thank you very much.

That quatrain was part of a longer poem I wrote.

That sounds good. I look forward to getting to know everyone. I was going to put I look forward to & posting a video of "Getting to know you" but I read the rules & realised it was frowned upon. :0)

Ann.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Hello!

I'm browsing now.

Thank you very much.

That quatrain was part of a longer poem I wrote.

That sounds good. I look forward to getting to know everyone. I was going to put I look forward to & posting a video of "Getting to know you" but I read the rules & realised it was frowned upon. :0)

Ann.

Horsa

Reaction score
Don't read anything into this other than information you may not know, if you wish to have a private conversation you can 'private message' someone by clicking on their avatar and clicking 'start conversation' any PM's you receive will show as a number (of messages) on the envelope icon on the toolbar at the top of the screen, the lightning symbol refreshes the 'latest posts' , the bell tells you if you have any replays or 'likes' to your posts or if you are 'watching' any thread, tell you if new posts have been made, and the magnifying glass is a search tool as usual. :)
It's o.k. I take that as you trying to help newbies. I've been on a few forums so already knew but you didn't know & were only trying to help. Thank you very much.

Horsa

Reaction score
That's the exact song I was thinking about but the creator of that youtube video was wrong. Julie Andrews did not play the part of Anna Leonowens in "The King & I" where that song comes from. Deborah Kerr did. Listening though, the creator has done a voice-over of Julie Andrews voice on the scene from "The King & I" so it shows Deborah Kerr.

Thank you very much for sharing.

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Don't read anything into this other than information you may not know, if you wish to have a private conversation you can 'private message' someone by clicking on their avatar and clicking 'start conversation' any PM's you receive will show as a number (of messages) on the envelope icon on the toolbar at the top of the screen, the lightning symbol refreshes the 'latest posts' , the bell tells you if you have any replays or 'likes' to your posts or if you are 'watching' any thread, tell you if new posts have been made, and the magnifying glass is a search tool as usual. :)
Thank you.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Hi!

Thank you very much.

That sounds good.

I sometimes think in rhyme so the fact you said I could post anything I like as long as it's not political means I can think in rhyme without worrying about the repercussions sounds good. :0)
If you want a laugh and to see what happens when you break the rules this thread is where you will find yourself if you do, I'm on there quite a few times :hahazebs:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/nailed-to-a-tree-the-warning-ban-log.23687/

Horsa

Reaction score
Last edited:

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
I'm not.
lol.
Well I suppose the '666' should have alerted me to your true nature!! Actually have you always been Trevp666? I've been saying your name in my head as 'Trevpoll' am I going senile or is that what you used to be? Oh heck I'm all of a confusion now what other names am I mis-reading?

Sollywos x

Horsa

Reaction score
If you want a laugh and to see what happens when you break the rules this thread is where you will find yourself if you do, I'm on there quite a few times :hahazebs:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/nailed-to-a-tree-the-warning-ban-log.23687/
I get you.

The rules are there to be obeyed.
If you don't there are consequences to be paid.
That thread shows what happened to those who strayed.

Everyone else can have plenty of fun.
Chatting & playing games can be done.
Fascinating conversations can be had & you can share the odd pun.

Other jokes though you'd best be careful with as not everyone can take the same jokes.
Some senses of humour escape some folks.
What women don't find funny might be hilarious to some blokes.

I just love the elegance of rhyme.
I have done for a long time.
I'm glad that on here it isn't a crime.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Ann.

I'm British.

I work in the arts/crafts, history & music side of heritage preservation.

My hobbies are reading, typing & singing. I'm interested in history & poetry.

I love animals & am interested in finding out about animals.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Welcome to the board, Horsa.

I'll let you discover who via their old posts, but we have a few members who work in associated industries to yours and plenty of historical topics to be discussed.

This is not something you need to consider much as a new member.

Nobody gets caned in his or her first term. :D

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Ann.

I'm British.

I work in the arts/crafts, history & music side of heritage preservation.

My hobbies are reading, typing & singing. I'm interested in history & poetry.

I love animals & am interested in finding out about animals.

I look forward to getting to know you better.
G'day Ann - How's it going?

If you like strangeness - you are exactly where you need to be.

It is my experience to realise that there are some incredibly brilliant and gifted people on this forum, who are always there to help. Travel well mate.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Hello, I was just recommended this site today and decided to sign up. I live in New Mexico, U.S.A. where there are lots of UFO stories and wide open spaces. I am interested in a lot of different things and will spend some time perusing the forums.

Hello JahaRa, and welcome.

Whoever recommended us has done you a favour.

This site is a bit of a rabbits hole, so expect the unexpected at any turn. Welcome aboard mate.

Horsa

Reaction score
Welcome to the board, Horsa.

I'll let you discover who via their old posts, but we have a few members who work in associated industries to yours and plenty of historical topics to be discussed.

This is not something you need to consider much as a new member.

Nobody gets caned in his or her first term. :D
Thank you very much, Yithian.

That sounds fascinating. I look forward to getting to know those people, reading those posts & hopefully joining in.

I nearly always try to be good.
I nearly always do what I know I should.
I guess if I do something wrong at 1st I'll get told.
If I wasn't to know you'll just warn me & scold.
I'll have the chance to live & learn.
You'll expect then that another page I'll turn.
Rules are made to keep order.
I just hope that I don't cross that border.
If I obey the rules I'll be fine.
If not I'll cross the line.

Oops! I found myself thinking in rhyme.
It's something I do from time to time. :0)

Horsa

Reaction score
G'day Ann - How's it going?

If you like strangeness - you are exactly where you need to be.

It is my experience to realise that there are some incredibly brilliant and gifted people on this forum, who are always there to help. Travel well mate.
G'day Mungoman!

It's going fine, thanks. How are things going for you?

That's great. I look forward to getting to know everyone, mate.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
am I going senile
Well, I didn't want to say anything......but it seems that way.
I have never been 'Trevpoll'.
I did have a previous incarnation on t'board, but I think it was most likely to have been 'WGCtrev'.....but my own lack of mental agility prevents the memory from forming.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Hi!

Thank you very much.

That sounds good.

I sometimes think in rhyme so the fact you said I could post anything I like as long as it's not political means I can think in rhyme without worrying about the repercussions sounds good. :0)
There's a limericks thread:). Doh, I didn't finish reading and see that this was already suggested to you.

Horsa

Reaction score
There's a limericks thread:). Doh, I didn't finish reading and see that this was already suggested to you.
Thank you very much for the information. You all seem so helpful. I'll have a browse. :0)

You mean you like your poems like this:-

There was an old woman from Cork.
My, my! She couldn't half talk.
She just wouldn't shut up.
Not even to drink from her cup.
Away from her, you just had to walk.

I like most poetry that rhymes, sonnets, rhyming couplets, quatrains, you name it, I like it. I've had a go at writing many types of poetry & songs. (I sing so work everything out vocally after writing a song.) (I just love the elegance of rhyme & have done for a very long time.) I've even had a go at blank/free verse even though I don't really care for it.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Hello to JahaRa and Horsa!

JahaRa, I've been to New Mexico and I can attest that UFOs are only a bit of what makes it interesting. My wife swears she saw a tarantula the size of a housecat crossing the highway!

And Horsa, there are two limericks threads, both are communal in nature, where you add to a poem started by someone else. "Limericks" is one line per post, and "Blitz Limericks" is first two, then last three. If you finish one, you start the next!

Horsa

Reaction score

JahaRa, I've been to New Mexico and I can attest that UFOs are only a bit of what makes it interesting. My wife swears she saw a tarantula the size of a housecat crossing the highway!

And Horsa, there are two limericks threads, both are communal in nature, where you add to a poem started by someone else. "Limericks" is one line per post, and "Blitz Limericks" is first two, then last three. If you finish one, you start the next!
Hello ChasFink!

Thank you very much.

I like the collaborative poetry idea but isn't there a collaborative poetry thread where someone writes a complete Limerick & then someone else responds with a poem that is a relevant reply to the 1 written before or a mixed poem 1 where you can write whatever style poem you want as long as it is a relevant response to the 1 before & then the next person joins in etc?

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Hi JaHaRa, welcome to the board. Hope you are settling in. New Mexico has always seemed an intriguing place to me, feel free to share any tales of strange/interesting stuff!

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Hi Horsa! Hope you are enjoying the forum, I'm sure you'll find plenty interesting threads (and people) to discover- it's a really friendly place and full of great info!

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Hello ChasFink!

Thank you very much.

I like the collaborative poetry idea but isn't there a collaborative poetry thread where someone writes a complete Limerick & then someone else responds with a poem that is a relevant reply to the 1 written before or a mixed poem 1 where you can write whatever style poem you want as long as it is a relevant response to the 1 before & then the next person joins in etc?
I don't think so but feel free to start one :)

Horsa

Reaction score
Ditto!

It should probably go in the Chat section with the limerick ones. "Dueling Limericks" or "Verse Wars" or something like that.
O.K. Thank you very much. Wouldn't "Rhyme challenge" sound friendlier though because it makes it sound as though people are challenging each other to a rhyme-off for the fun of it? Which is what we're doing it for, it is fun & it does inspire & motivate people to create.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
O.K. Thank you very much. Wouldn't "Rhyme challenge" sound friendlier though because it makes it sound as though people are challenging each other to a rhyme-off for the fun of it? Which is what we're doing it for, it is fun & it does inspire & motivate people to create.
Hey, you start it, you get to name it! :twothumbs:

JahaRa

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

There is a highway between I-25 and Roswell where the tarantulas used to cross in droves at dusk. They were not as big as house cats but they can get pretty big for spiders. My dad kept one as a pet for a while when I was a kid.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I like most poetry that rhymes,
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Some poems rhyme
But this one doesn't.

There was a young poet from Dublin
His verses were always quite troubling
He managed to rhyme
Most of the time
But he couldn't always get the last line to scan properly for some reason.