• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
At the local inquiry into the Plymouth shootings, lawyers for the families are asking why even farmers should be allowed to possess guns at home...
I didn't think it was appropriate in the case of the murdered head teacher and child by loony husband for him to be allowed to keep a gun on what is in effect school premises.

I didn't think it was appropriate in the case of the murdered head teacher and child by loony husband for him to be allowed to keep a gun on what is in effect school premises.
That case seems to have gone quiet. I have my theories though.

At the local inquiry into the Plymouth shootings, lawyers for the families are asking why even farmers should be allowed to possess guns at home...
Farmers are the last bastion of British public gun-ownership. The people most at risk from farmers' guns are themselves, when they suffer mental health problems and become suicidal.
(The other common method is ingesting agricultural chemicals like weedkillers.)

Jake Davison, perpetrator of the Plymouth shootings, was a 22 year-old incel gun fanatic with mental health problems. He wasn't a farmer. He held a gun licence for clay pigeon shooting.

While Davison would have had his guns and licence removed if police had listened to his mother's previous warnings about his mental state, of which there was plenty of supporting evidence elsewhere, he would probably have killed her some other way.
His other victims might have been safe though.

Police work these days is saturated in procedure and documentation. It's nothing like fictional representation in books or on TV. 50 years ago there might have been some similarity, not now. Whether things have improved as a result is open to discussion...

:clap:

maximus otter

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Round our way, many farmers have guns to control vermin (statement not opinion BTW) and walk the fields. When I asked one, he said that they all know where public paths, roads 'n' lanes are and are always conscious of the risk of accident. As he put it "it's not as if we're seeing summat, yanking the gun to our shoulder and letting loose like we're in a battle!"

Round our way, many farmers have guns to control vermin (statement not opinion BTW) and walk the fields. When I asked one, he said that they all know where public paths, roads 'n' lanes are and are always conscious of the risk of accident. As he put it "it's not as if we're seeing summat, yanking the gun to our shoulder and letting loose like we're in a battle!"
Yup, farmers know what they're doing around guns. They don't want no trouble, like.

Yup, farmers know what they're doing around guns. They don't want no trouble, like.
Last night I was watching the new series of 'My Lover My Killer' on Netflix (which I always see as 'My Liver My Killer'...) and there was a truly horrific case of an elderly man who had a dog breeding stud on a farm and who shot his girlfriend and her daughter. He'd used his guns to shoot his own dogs, horses and any animal that wouldn't obey him. He'd been reported several times and even had his guns taken away, but had asked for (and been given) them back 'to kill vermin'.

The murders were entirely due to the guns being given back. He was a frail old man and would have posed no threat to healthy younger women, had he not been armed. Truly tragic.

Last night I was watching the new series of 'My Lover My Killer' on Netflix (which I always see as 'My Liver My Killer'...) and there was a truly horrific case of an elderly man who had a dog breeding stud on a farm and who shot his girlfriend and her daughter. He'd used his guns to shoot his own dogs, horses and any animal that wouldn't obey him. He'd been reported several times and even had his guns taken away, but had asked for (and been given) them back 'to kill vermin'.

The murders were entirely due to the guns being given back. He was a frail old man and would have posed no threat to healthy younger women, had he not been armed. Truly tragic.
Was that John Lowe in Farnham? My neck of the woods.

Horrific. :(
Again, that's a most unusual incident and I'd say he could still have killed his girlfriend and her daughter without a gun.

I'm not defending anyone's right to bear arms here, just making the point that the public are mostly safe from being shot by farmers.
It'd be better if they didn't need guns and couldn't justify keeping them but as the law stands, it's allowed.
If there were widespread outbreaks of pubic gun violence by farmers we'd see a change in the law PDQ.

Some interesting new insights into this tragic case are emerging:

"Det Supt Becky Smith, the senior investigating officer, referred to Bulley's “specific vulnerabilities”, which led police to categorise the 45-year-old as what they define as a “high risk missing person”. They wouldn’t go into further detail about what that meant."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-64647967

This was on the BBC news site, quoting the police (my 'bolding')

"Bulley's dog: Asked if it was significant that Bulley's dog was running between the bench and the gate - not the bench and the water's edge - police said they couldn't speak to the dog and all they could say is that he was running back and forth in the area where Bulley's possessions were found."

No shit? No ruff translation even?

This was on the BBC news site, quoting the police (my 'bolding')

"Bulley's dog: Asked if it was significant that Bulley's dog was running between the bench and the gate - not the bench and the water's edge - police said they couldn't speak to the dog and all they could say is that he was running back and forth in the area where Bulley's possessions were found."

No shit? No ruff translation even?
What they meant was that they could bark questions at it all day but they'd get no answers.

Some interesting new insights into this tragic case are emerging:

"Det Supt Becky Smith, the senior investigating officer, referred to Bulley's “specific vulnerabilities”, which led police to categorise the 45-year-old as what they define as a “high risk missing person”. They wouldn’t go into further detail about what that meant."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-64647967
I heard that too!
This is something else the police weren't sharing. Was she feeling stressed, unhappy, worse? :(

I remember when our next door neighbour went missing they said that she was 'vulnerable'.
What they actually meant was that she was rather vague and 'twee' and a bit 'away with the fairies'. Not the sort of person you would expect would be able to cope in any sort of survival situation. (She was actually a bit nuts suffering with her mental health)
I wonder if they are using 'vulnerabilities' here in the same way? Maybe they do actually mean that Ms Bulley is not exactly, er,.... 'assertive'?

I remember when our next door neighbour went missing they said that she was 'vulnerable'.
What they actually meant was that she was rather vague and 'twee' and a bit 'away with the fairies'. Not the sort of person you would expect would be able to cope in any sort of survival situation. (She was actually a bit nuts suffering with her mental health)
I wonder if they are using 'vulnerabilities' here in the same way? Maybe they do actually mean that Ms Bulley is not exactly, er,.... 'assertive'?
Yup, just being a woman on her own is not a vulnerable condition according to the police.
The RAC calls a woman waiting alone, especially with children, in a broken-down car 'vulnerable' and she should get priority in the order of calls.

So when my car packs up on a country lane I'm vulnerable for RAC purposes, although nobody would normally call me that. ;)

Last edited:
Back