The Nicolas Cage Thread (Was Left Behind)

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
skinny said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
If not always on top form, he's certainly done some of the most memorable turns of any actor in Hollywood.
Birdy
Raising Arizona

... to name but two.
His best performance for me was in Kick-Ass

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
He was actually pretty good in Con Air. It was an incredibly stupid film, true, but the cast did a pretty good job with the material they had.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Con Air is a great movie!

Stupid - yes.

But...

Cage, Malkovich, Meaney, Cusack, Buscemi, Rhames fighting on or near a plane full of convicts.

Now stop arguing or the bunny gets it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Buscemi's in it - that's like the seal of approval!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Isn't Con Air the one with the bunny scene? Top entertainment, I agree.

As for Satan's lack of endorsement to Left Behind, I suspect reverse psychology may be at work. What would Beelzebub like more than a Nic Cage movie, ask yourself that?

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
gncxx said:
What would Beelzebub like more than a Nic Cage movie, ask yourself that?
Obviously something with Jennifer Aniston in it. God doesn't even know how they keep coming out.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
Bugger me! So that's what David Flint is doing these days!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I remember reading the odd David Flint fanzine way back when. And they were odd. Anyway, safe to say he wasn't keen on Left Behind.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
Yeah, a good 20 years since I've seen him in the flesh, he was publishing Divinity back then. Can't remember from sh*t anything about it. o_O

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Divinity! That's what it was called. Saucy and serious at the same time. Only article I remember was on a Japanese bondage movie star with loads of photos, which made me think, that looks painful and uncomfortable and more or less the same thing over and over again. Maybe Nic Cage could take some tips?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I've now seen Left Behind! It is rubbish! But not in a good way, I was hoping for a wacko laff riot and got two hours of extreme boredom. There's only about three chuckles in it, and one of those is a glance at a page in a diary. Nicolas Cage doesn't even get to go crazy, mostly he just stays in the cockpit of his plane and mopes. Then they have the cheek to end it with him saying "It's not the end... it's just the beginning!" Not if we have anything to do with it, mate.

Seriously, we were led astray, it's time to go back to the straight and narrow... Plan 9 from Outer Space... Valley of the Dolls... Endless Love... The Room... these are the Hollywood movies we should be celebrating as so bad they're good, not this garbage.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I've now seen Left Behind! It is rubbish! But not in a good way, I was hoping for a wacko laff riot and got two hours of extreme boredom. There's only about three chuckles in it, and one of those is a glance at a page in a diary. Nicolas Cage doesn't even get to go crazy, mostly he just stays in the cockpit of his plane and mopes. Then they have the cheek to end it with him saying "It's not the end... it's just the beginning!" Not if we have anything to do with it, mate.

Seriously, we were led astray, it's time to go back to the straight and narrow... Plan 9 from Outer Space... Valley of the Dolls... Endless Love... The Room... these are the Hollywood movies we should be celebrating as so bad they're good, not this garbage.
You gave away the ending!

May Yahweh smite you!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I could really give away the ending if you want. Doesn't change my message - don't watch it! It's terrible! Don't give these clowns your money!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I could really give away the ending if you want. Doesn't change my message - don't watch it! It's terrible! Don't give these clowns your money!
Might watch it online but from what you say its not bad enough to be good.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
World’s Most Awesome Hotel Will Bring You Complimentary Nicolas Cage Pics

Hotels everywhere need to step up their Nic Cage game.

posted on Jan. 29, 2015, at 1:20 a.m.

Erin La Rosa

BuzzFeed Staff

At a San Antonio hotel, a concierge was given this challenge by a guest: to bring up a Nic Cage photo from Con Air by 6 p.m.

imgur.com
Thankfully Ramon the concierge obliged, and left the framed photo waiting on the bed.

imgur.com
Is there anything else you’d rather go to bed with, really?

When a second request was made for more Nic Cage, (because duh), it wasn’t clear if the concierge would pull through…

i.imgur.com
Better a late Nic Cage than no Nic Cage, amiright?!

imgur.com
The game continued, and the hotel provided a photo of The Cage in 8MM

imgur.com
And one final, beautiful gesture before the hotel guest completed their stay.

i.imgur.com
Nic Cage said farewell with, “Hope you enjoyed your stay with us! It was truly a pleasure! — Hotel San Antonio Indigo Team”

Thanks to this awesome Imgur user for sharing the best hotel experience ever!

Touchstone Pictures
And I guess we’re all going to San Antonio now!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Hell, Nic Cage would probably have shown up in person for a small fee.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Dammit, I was convinced he was playing a shark.

Mag-ona

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Most evangelistic Americans LOVE that movie. So if you want to get any insight on that Am. demographic, which is a large one in the US, watch the movie. This said, if you ever find yourself in the company of anyone from that demographic, don't ever, ever, ever say to them that you thought the movie was a comedy.

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
I browsed though one of the Left Behind novels in a charity shop once. It mainly consisted of long chunks of dialogue in which characters quote the Bible at each other.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Most evangelistic Americans LOVE that movie. So if you want to get any insight on that Am. demographic, which is a large one in the US, watch the movie. This said, if you ever find yourself in the company of anyone from that demographic, don't ever, ever, ever say to them that you thought the movie was a comedy.
I wish I could say it was a comedy, it would have been entertaining then. Funny how the "dedicated" Christians can forgive so much terrible filmmaking as long as it delivers the message of faith (basically "We're the best!") that appeals to them. But Christianity is all about forgiveness, I suppose.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
This seems to be the dedicated "Nicolas Cage: Nutter" thread (perhaps a retitling is in order?), so here's his latest insanity:

Based on a true story, it says. This is so good, they're not even going to bother releasing it in cinemas.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Is that really Nicolas Cage? He's unrecognisable!

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Last i'd heard Cage was heavily in debt, so he was appearing in anything that paid. Weird seeing him with that beard though.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
Weird seeing him with that beard though.
...in anything, really.

He was reasonably-good as Mindy / Hit-Girl's father, in 'Kick Ass', but to me he always just looks like the lost awkward love child of David Schwimmer and Tom Hanks. That's how they were able to have him utterly killed in the storyline, it's called castoff casting.

Something about his odd sad eyes unsettles me....

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Cage is a funny one. Has made some fantastic movies. And then had made a whole lot of crap...