• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Nicolas Cage Thread (Was Left Behind)

Spotted at Cannes...

2175.jpg

Or, rather: Oh, the Humanity Bureau, as it is being called on Twitter. This looks like one of those trashy films Nicolas Cage periodically makes to pay off the tax bill on his mansion in Bath. The tagline is quite intriguing, though: Escape From New America. Has Cage made the first great film of the Trump era? No, no he definitely has not.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...and-haunted-airplane-bad-cannes-films-posters

The expression that says, "Yeah, I have made another talent-squandering cheapo movie! Wanna make something of it?"

Intriguing Cage news:
Cage Team-Up

He's teaming up with Richard Stanley, returning to feature making, for an adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space. It's already been a middling Boris Karloff movie, but this new one could reach Mandy levels of weirdness.

Don't know why this went viral this week, but hey, we could do with a laugh:

That is Nicolas Cage in a 1988 film called Never on Tuesday. That's all he does in it. So many questions.
That was seriously bad. And they gave him a huge nose.

"They" gave him a huge nose? Or he gave himself a huge nose? Which is more likely, hmm?
Hmmm. Maybe he asked them to anonymise him? Is that a possibility?

I do hope he chews the scenery again. I look forward to those moments.

Has anybody else in the world actually ever seen the Alan Parker film Birdy?
Haven't watched it for ten years yet it still haunts me. Something special. 5/5

PS Nicky Cage is in it. He's the lead.
M Modine is awesome.
You might change your mind about Nicky Cage if you appreciate this performance.

birdy is flawless, great score also, improves upon the novel, seen once, stays with you ! in fact its on our list of saturday movies ... cage is very cool in birdy, and never thought id say it but he had great hair

Has anybody else in the world actually ever seen the Alan Parker film Birdy?
Haven't watched it for ten years yet it still haunts me. Something special. 5/5

PS Nicky Cage is in it. He's the lead.
M Modine is awesome.
You might change your mind about Nicky Cage if you appreciate this performance.

Saw it when I was a kid with a friend's family, so could have done without the bit with the tits (easily embarrassed here). Not feathered tits either.

Nic had teeth taken out to play his role better. I didn't notice any difference in his performance, it was still as eccentric as ever, but it's a curious film anyway.

Nic's going full Malkovich (or full Bruce Campbell, if you want to get obscure):
Nic news

Yes, it's a new film where he plays himself having to act out his most famous roles to save himself and others from a Mexican cartel. Because of course he is. I'm doubting this is based on a true story, because if it was the universe would have folded in on itself.

Another day, another weird Nic clip:

From his debut. Crispin Glover's debut too. The strange thing is, you can imagine them making exactly the same clip now.

Watched The Frozen Ground on Netflix last night.
Cage needs the help of a teenage prostitute to catch a serial killer and rapist in Alaska.
Based on real events.
Thought it was a pretty good movie.
Definitely one of Cage's best.

Just finished watching Kill Chain.

A sprawling, convoluted mess of a movie, which made no sense whatsoever.

If Frozen Ground was a solid 7/10, this turkey merits no more than 3/10.

Mr Cage's films have become a real lottery over the years, sometimes you strike it lucky with the crazy (Trespass, Mom and Dad, Mandy), others he's phoning it in with his mind on buying another rare comic or castle with his paycheque (too many others to mention).

Running With The Devil: Nicolas Cage has every opportunity and reason to chew up the scenery in this film but he resists the the temptation. A tale of drug running, following the trail from a remote farm in Colombia via mexico and the US to Canada. Cage is sent by his boss to find out who is hijacking shipments and also to discover who is cutting the coke with dangerous additives. Laurence Fishburne is a middleman with Leslie Bibb as a DEA agent with a personal score to settle. Extreme violence, double-crosses, nobody ever quite who they seem to be and a few plot surprises. Nothing particularly original but certainly a watchable thriller. Directed and written by Jason Cabell. 6/10. On Netflix.

Nicolas Cage to play...Nicolas Cage!
Nicolas Cage to recreate Con Air and Face/Off roles for bonkers new film
Nicolas Cage will play Nicolas Cage in a new film about Nicolas Cage, called The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent
NEWS
Kirsten Howard
Feb 21, 2020

The actor told Empire magazine that The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent, which is set to begin filming imminently, will see him “taking the piss” out of himself after a long cinematic career filled with spectacular highs and baffling lows where sometimes, due to his electric on-screen presence, those can still be interchangeable.
The film’s writer and director, Tom Gormican, has just one feature directorial credit to date - 2014 rom-com That Awkward Moment with Zac Efron - but Cage seems to trust that he’ll be in good hands when playing both his present self and a younger, way more egotistical version from back in the day.
etc
https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies...on-air-and-faceoff-roles-for-bonkers-new-film

Back