• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Notion Of A Flat Universe

That's one of the things that is up for discussion.

Was there any form of 'space' before the formation of the Universe.

If there was then there is the question of where this space was.

And then there is the business of 'Dark Matter' that apparently is forming all the time and may be driving the expansion. And, of course, if one adds matter of any sort to a volume the density stays the same if the volume is getting bigger pro rata.

Anyway, I would suggest watching the BBC Four Horizon program 'How big is the Universe ?'.

At minute 50 (or thereabouts) there is an explanation of how it was decided that the Universe is flat.

I misremembered it as using two stars for a baseline. It was two points of equal temperature on the Cosmic Microwave Background.

Well worth a watch it you can find it. Possibly on BBC Iplayer.

INT21.

I imagine the Universe to be just one of an infinite number of universes, all like bubbles in soap suds. Some bubbles pop and are joined with adjacent bubbles, leading to their sudden expansion.
What space are all these universes contained within? We will never know. It's too much for even the smartest people on the planet.

Off topic note.

Has anyone here been having problems viewing YouTube on their Virgin Broadband tv ?

The vacuum is there because space has expanded to such a huge size. The matter within is not enough to fill the space. Even so, space is not a complete vacuum.
In the early Universe, the matter created by the Big Bang was closer together, so space (at some point) would have had a dense atmosphere.[/QUOTE)

And then there is the business of 'Dark Matter' that apparently is forming all the time and may be driving the expansion. And, of course, if one adds matter of any sort to a volume the density stays the same if the volume is getting bigger pro rata.

Anyway, I would suggest watching the BBC Four Horizon program 'How big is the Universe ?'.

At minute 50 (or thereabouts) there is an explanation of how it was decided that the Universe is flat.

I misremembered it as using two stars for a baseline. It was two points of equal temperature on the Cosmic Microwave Background.

INT21.
("Definitely guess work here!") If the Universe really was initiated by the occurrence of an outward 'Big Bang,' I imagine a lot of the created matter would have been used up in it's creation, even totally consumed in the first few nano-seconds of that event itself - before it even began to expand? Maybe the resulting conversion of the 'first matter,' is the so-called 'dark matter' which was pushed out along with all the other matter in the resulting sudden expansion?

How would matter created during the big bang be "used up" in the creation of the big bang?

INT21.

Universe.png

INT21: New update on the Big Bang. Possibly no such thing as the Big Bang, but something - or nothing else!
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/tech...-than-the-universe/ar-AAFmo8W?ocid=spartandhp
"Seems that there are stars in the Universe that are older than the Universe itself!"

Well...there's the Steady State theory...

So how does the Steady State Theory allow for the fact that galaxies are measurably moving away from each other ?

So how does the Steady State Theory allow for the fact that galaxies are measurably moving away from each other ?
I'm not sure. But maybe space has gone from a steady state to an expansion phase as a result of a merger with an adjoining universe. Space expanding suddenly and explosively would allow all matter within to float apart.
We can never be omnipotent or omniscient enough to ever know.

Perhaps the universe is not expanding, but pulsating.

I'm sure others have suggested it. If spacetime is not restricted by the laws of motion I guess there is no reason why it can't switch from growing to shrinking on it's own.
Not sure it fits with the problem of enthropy though.

On this subject I would like to draw your attention to the work of Colin Guilespe, specifically his book Time 1: Discover how the Universe Began.
This cosmological sleeper classic of a book has proven surprisingly predictive, and is approachable for non-Physicists like myself. I read it about 18 months ago. Guilespe postulates the intriguing idea that all matter (i.e. particles) is actually due to curvature in spacetime. I understand there are a number of physicists out there saying they are a bit disappointed they didn't think of Guilespe's approach themselves.

I imagine the Universe to be just one of an infinite number of universes, all like bubbles in soap suds. Some bubbles pop and are joined with adjacent bubbles, leading to their sudden expansion.
What space are all these universes contained within? We will never know. It's too much for even the smartest people on the planet.

I've been having a look at how bubbles (in soapy-liquid form) are formed and how they react with other bubbles around - or, within them! Thought it very interesting to note that bubbles can exist within bubbles!

Imagining that the Universe might well be in the form of 'bubble' in-some-form-or-other, might give a basis to theorise, that our 'newly' formed Universe (the one that we live inside) could exist inside many previous bubbles... now there's a thought?

There is the idea that black holes are literally baby universes.

I've been having a look at how bubbles (in soapy-liquid form) are formed and how they react with other bubbles around - or, within them! Thought it very interesting to note that bubbles can exist within bubbles!

Imagining that the Universe might well be in the form of 'bubble' in-some-form-or-other, might give a basis to theorise, that our 'newly' formed Universe (the one that we live inside) could exist inside many previous bubbles... now there's a thought?
Sounds like the Wikileaks "Contiguous Universe".

Back