• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Number 23

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Scheduled for a 2006 release:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0481369/

Carrey, Schumacher eye 'Number 23'

By JAM! Movies

Funnyman Jim Carrey and director Joel Schumacher may join forces again in the thriller "The Number 23," Variety reports.

The plot centers around a man (Carrey) who becomes obsessed and haunted upon reading a book that seems to be about his life but ends with a murder.

Schumacher ("Phone Booth," "A Time to Kill") and Carrey previously worked together on 1995's "Batman Forever."

"The Number 23" will begin shooting in November.

Carrey can next be seen in the comedy "Fun with Dick and Jane," set for release in December.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Artists/C/Ca ... 30718.html

See also the 23 thread:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5869

Interestingly enough (or so i thought), Shane Warne - him of amazing wrist-action, wears number 23 for his county and 20/20 & 1 day matches.

That got me to thinking, i wonder how many other - very good - sports people use this number, either cognisant of the "23" effect, or for other reasons?

p-SAL23!712.jpg

Interestingly enough (or so i thought), Shane Warne - him of amazing wrist-action, wears number 23 for his county and 20/20 & 1 day matches.

Warne also sports a small necklace with the numerals 23 upon it.

The movie starts off OK, it's pretty good for 20, 25 minutes (*)... then becomes more and more silly and tedious :x

(*)probably 23 minutes exactly.

Didn't go down well with the Garudian (although either they missed the point or wanted to make one of their own):

The Number 23

* (Cert 15)

Peter Bradshaw
Friday February 23, 2007
The Guardian

Jim Carrey goes into frazzled mode with this mind-numbingly silly conspiracy thriller about a dog-catcher who gets obsessed with the number 23. The number 23, it seems, is the key to a terrifying sex murder. Jim Carrey believes he holds the key to a global occult conspiracy of which it is a part. If only he can work out how the number 23 is involved.

Now, all Douglas Adams fans know that the universally important number is in fact 42. But never mind that. We, the audience, are invited to suspend our derision and disbelief and buy into this creepy number 23 thing.

And it's strange. According to some Talmudic scholars, 23 is the exact age at which Jim Carrey stopped being any good. Twenty-three was the exact number of times I stood up in the cinema and shouted: "Why are we watching this rubbish?" Twenty-three is the number of times director Joel Schumacher should have been slapped for inflicting it on us. Twenty-three is the number of emails Virginia Madsen's agent should have sent her, begging her to turn it down.

And 23 is the number of pounds that some central London cinemas are going to charge two people to go and see it.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/C ... 10,00.html

I was just going to the newsagents for some cigarettes and noticed that Number 23 is on at the local picture house and made a mental note to check out its oddity level.
Anyway, inside the newsagents there seemed to be what I call a confusion field. You know, a number of people gathered in a location and no-one seems to know what they're doing and it seems as the world is on autopilot. It was taking this guy about ten minutes just to buy 3 bars of chocolate and the till wouldn't take his money and it was all getting a bit bizzare.
Then Doctor Who walked in. Not the new one but Sylvester McCoy which added a bit to the weird atmosphere.

I got my fags and set off for home, only slightly bemused by the sight of 3 ducks (mallards) waddling past the kebab shop.

I don't know about you lot but I think Robert Anton Wilson and other patapsychologists would have loved it.

message in the movie?

Strangely enough, I was just watching this movie, and approximately an hour and eight minutes into it, I saw words flash at the bottom of the screen. The scene was when the main character and his son go to the grave site. I couldn't make out what the words were since they were all cut off halfway down.

I know it is probably a gimmick thought up by the film marketing crew, but when I tried to review the same scene, I saw nothing. I guess I'm kind of a novice at this technology, but I didn't realize they had the capability of imprinting a message and then preventing a rewind review of the message.

Has anyone else seen the DVD and experienced the same thing?

BTW, not a great movie.

Hello, got directed here after posting the following on the 'Coincidence' Thread :
The following happened back in 1987. Have been advised to check out the Jim Carey film '23' .

" I admit to thinking that there might be some substance in coincidences related to the number 23. Many years ago I went to see the alternative rock band Psychic TV who were great advocates for '23' coincidences. After the gig, I was waiting for the night bus with a friend of mine, and admitted that I didn't really believe in anything special about the number 23. My friend looked across the road, and started laughing. Virtually all the houses in the street were in darkness, but one house number- an Edwardian type villa with the number painted in glass above the front door - was lit up, And that of course was number 23.
A bit later on the night bus, a mutual acquaintance got on and sat with us. We explained that we had just seen Psychic TV, and he snorted in quite a cynical fashion, and said 'I suppose you are going to tell me that you've just had a number 23 coincidence'.
Just found this article - not by coincidence but by googling the topic: "
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-facts-about-number-twenty-three-6262624.html

I thought we had a much longer thread on this. In the statistical analysis component of my MA I often came across 23 and could swear I contributed lists of examples.
On reflection, possibly so boring to anyone but a statistician they were 'lost' in one of the board moves. :chuckle:

I wonder how much of this is down to frequency bias though. I bet if we suddenly put forward another number - 131 say, we'd suddenly start seeing that everywhere instead.

I wonder how much of this is down to frequency bias though. I bet if we suddenly put forward another number - 131 say, we'd suddenly start seeing that everywhere instead.
Try it! :)

My youngest, born on the 23rd, has found herself living at different numbers 23 several times in her life. The number often crops up in other ways.

Back