• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The OA

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
(So if there is a thread for this I can't find it)

Has anyone seen this on netflix? series 2 (sorry, part 2) dropped last week.

Part one. A young woman called Prairie turns up after being missing for 7 years. refusing to talk about where she has been. she then assembles a bunch of 'outsider' teenagers, and their teacher, and they meet nightly where she tells her story.

she was kidnapped by a man called Hap who kept her and 4 other people prisoner in an underground greenhouse. all of them had Near death Experiences at some point in their lives and Hap is experimenting on them by drowning them to the point of death, and bringing them back, in order to research what happens after death.

Eventually, it gets more and more silly, with added modern dance(!). Prairie says her 'real' name is 'the oa'. but is her story the truth, is she lying, is she delusional?

part 2, completely bonkers, taking in inter dimensional travel, a magical, mysterious spooky house, and a telepathic octopus called Old Night.

I have no idea what the ending of part 2 was about, so if anyone can enlighten me...?

(So if there is a thread for this I can't find it)

Has anyone seen this on netflix? series 2 (sorry, part 2) dropped last week.

Part one. A young woman called Prairie turns up after being missing for 7 years. refusing to talk about where she has been. she then assembles a bunch of 'outsider' teenagers, and their teacher, and they meet nightly where she tells her story.

she was kidnapped by a man called Hap who kept her and 4 other people prisoner in an underground greenhouse. all of them had Near death Experiences at some point in their lives and Hap is experimenting on them by drowning them to the point of death, and bringing them back, in order to research what happens after death.

Eventually, it gets more and more silly, with added modern dance(!). Prairie says her 'real' name is 'the oa'. but is her story the truth, is she lying, is she delusional?

part 2, completely bonkers, taking in inter dimensional travel, a magical, mysterious spooky house, and a telepathic octopus called Old Night.

I have no idea what the ending of part 2 was about, so if anyone can enlighten me...?

I liked Part 1, so I'm looking forward to Part 2.

Watched the first episode, I appreciated that it did things I've never seen a "TV" series do before but was unsure what to make of it. Having read about the rest of the series and speaking to a friend that watched it all I'm glad I gave it a miss.

oh-aay. it stand for 'original angel'.

its intriguing tv, but not great tv, but covers a few fortean interests.

I have seen them all and can explain it if you like.

The part 2 ending sends everyone into an alternate dimension where they become the actors playing them.

Season 3 will probably have them as characters trying to play actors and navigate the "real" world, at least for an episode or two.

Last edited:
Watched the first episode, I appreciated that it did things I've never seen a "TV" series do before but was unsure what to make of it. Having read about the rest of the series and speaking to a friend that watched it all I'm glad I gave it a miss.

Hardly enough to form an valid opinion. Tenuous logic at best. Season 2 takes it in another direction completely.

Hardly enough to form an valid opinion. Tenuous logic at best. Season 2 takes it in another direction completely.

Perhaps, if you like it, good for you. I watches the 120 minute opener, was non-plussed if mildly intrigued. I can;t watch all TV and get cold feet over committing to something that may go on and on, I gave up on The Walking Dead a season later than I should have. Ultimately it's a judgement call, I'm happy with mine.

Perhaps, if you like it, good for you. I watches the 120 minute opener, was non-plussed if mildly intrigued. I can;t watch all TV and get cold feet over committing to something that may go on and on, I gave up on The Walking Dead a season later than I should have. Ultimately it's a judgement call, I'm happy with mine.

I get that, but the proof of the pudding is in the tasting, don't judge a book by it's cover, walk a mile in another man's moccasins etc.

I have seen them all and can explain it if you like.

The part 2 ending sends everyone into an alternate dimension where they become the actors playing them.

Season 3 will probably have them as characters trying to play actors and navigate the "real" world, at least for an episode or two.
Yeah but that's just....silly. I hope they don't make a series 3.

Yeah but that's just....silly. I hope they don't make a series 3.

I found it more clever than silly, Hap had already told Prairie that they were going to an alternate universe (Hap has a map) where she would not believe she was the OA, even if she found out that she was. Sending them into the actors allowed that to happen. As an actor, she would have to believe that she was the character she portrayed. Also, Hap as Jason Isaacs is married to Prairie as Brit Marling and they arent in our reality. So it's closer to real life but is still an alternate universe.

Season 3 hasn't been confirmed yet, but the creators say they have season 3, 4, and 5 planned out and hope to make them.

Supernatural did that in an episode.

Back