• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Everyone wants to be healthy and live to whatever their natural age limit is. I know I'm slightly overweight ... but most of it came on when I passed 30 years old. Sure, I confess - some of it is beer. However, I cook healthy and nutritious meals from scratch, I am not a 'snack eater'. If anything, I can forego meals because I've never been food-driven. I'm cutting down on on alcohol consumption but I've also been a very active person - with regular walks - and my past work has included very physical activity. However, I'm struggling to lose any inches from my waistline - it's happening but it aint fast.
Thing is, any consumer is caught in the middle, between food producers - who want you to eat more of what they make - and diet companies who want you to pay them to lose the weight you've put on by the first 'pressure'. It's not blame transference - it's pointing out why it's difficult to be healthy, not just to be as heavy or as skinny as 'They' tell you, you should be.

“Wobblebottoms need to be hugged less, and to be told more often, “You’re a fat bastard and it’s all your own fault. Eat less; move more!

Could you attempt to piss fewer people off, please?

I've had a long day.

===================================

Caveat: what is effective for many is less so for some.

My own path to weight-loss (from slightly overweight to the lowest zone of average) simply began with the recognition that three regular meals were enough food that I almost never felt actually hungry.

My exercise, as it has been for three years now, is 30 mins brisk walking five times a week and a long ramble on Sundays.

Rather than counting calories, I took three actions:

I stopped eating most foods that had any significant list of 'ingredients'; no real need to check the label for raw carrots, bananas, homemade yoghurt, 100% peanut butter, asparagus, fried eggs, grilled mackerel and endless salmon steaks. Assumed I'd be short of some vital stuff, so took an assortment of vitamin supplements.

I simply did not eat anything until I actually felt significant hunger pangs (physical ones, not mere cravings); and then I would often delay the meal further with hot black coffee or green tea. Morning was only 'breakfast time' if I woke hungry. Some days, my first meal or the day was late afternoon. Within a fortnight, I was eating only once or twice a day and filling my stomach with low-carbohydrate meals most of the time.

After a month or so, I allowed myself to eat at a restaurant every Saturday night if I wanted to (it's important for families to eat together, but work gets in the way), yet I found that my stomach had shrunk to the extent that it was almost impossible to over-eat to any significant extent.

Had to buy a lot of new clothes.

Edit: unwhinge thread says this method saw me drop 11kg in 5 and a half months.

Could you attempt to piss fewer people off, please?

I've had a long day.
Puts me in mind of the fabled quote of Gilbert Harding's when asked on a US visa application

"Do you intend to undermine the Constitution of the United States of America?”

Replied

"Sole purpose of visit”

Although there may be some doubt as to the veracity:
it was an anecdote told to members of the Savile Club by Wynford Vaughan Thomas. He and Gilbert Harding were travelling from Toronto to New York to attend a reunion of war correspondents at CBS news.

My path to weight loss, eat less and swimming! Swimming has to the best exercise beats all the gym workouts and works all the body out, (I swim 4 times a week before work minimum 1000 metres) I have a home made smoothie for breakfast and just one main meal in the evening I also log everything I eat in an app, once you get into the habit it really does help it means I make conscious decisions about what I eat once you start logging your food you will never look at mayonnaise again!

Can't touch the wealthy and powerful food industry?
Blame the consumer, eh?

Blanket condemnation of 'wobblebottoms' completely ignores those with real, medically-recognised physical and mental illnesses. Nice bit of empathy for your fellow human there.
People's bodies are all different, and respond to different chemicals and foodstuffs differently. If it was a matter of 'eat less, move more' then that is so easy that there would be no 'obesity', let alone an 'epidemic'.
I'm going to tiptoe through the minefield to say: just what percentage, do you think, of overweight people can attribute their size to some medical condition not related to overeating? Is it a bigger percentage, do you think, than the number of overweight people who don't have a medical condition and just overeat? How about the percentage of overweight people who ate themselves into a health condition?

I understand what you're saying, don't judge everyone by appearance and I totally agree. But on the other hand, offering an easy excuse (I'm not fat! I'm big boned!) can send a message that "it's fine if you overeat, I'm sure there's a health problem you have that will justify it..." and I'm not ok with that. I'm overweight and have been most of my life. It's only been the last 5 or 6 years that I've started making changes and lost around 60lbs and kept it off. That only comes with conscious consideration of everything that goes into your mouth and until someone reaches that point, little will change.

I'm going to tiptoe through the minefield to say: just what percentage, do you think, of overweight people can attribute their size to some medical condition not related to overeating? Is it a bigger percentage, do you think, than the number of overweight people who don't have a medical condition and just overeat? How about the percentage of overweight people who ate themselves into a health condition?

I understand what you're saying, don't judge everyone by appearance and I totally agree. But on the other hand, offering an easy excuse (I'm not fat! I'm big boned!) can send a message that "it's fine if you overeat, I'm sure there's a health problem you have that will justify it..." and I'm not ok with that. I'm overweight and have been most of my life. It's only been the last 5 or 6 years that I've started making changes and lost around 60lbs and kept it off. That only comes with conscious consideration of everything that goes into your mouth and until someone reaches that point, little will change.
Bloody well done A.D.H.D!!

That only comes with conscious consideration of everything that goes into your mouth and until someone reaches that point, little will change.
One on level this is very true and I don't want to make out that personal responsibility does not matter at all. On the other though, it is a bit tough to expect every single person to be able to withstand the constant barrage of cheap, crappy and tasty food that is thrown at us all day every day. And often with a misleading "health" message such "omega 3s!!" "Low fat!!" etc. And not to mention the difficulty in getting fresh food for many people because it just isn't sold in a shop near them.

Something like 2/3 of adults in the UK are overweight or obese. Is there something fundamentally wrong with 2/3 of the population (seems unlikely) or is there something fundamentally wrong with our environment that makes it that way?

If you make it a gigantic effort for people to source and prepare good food and extremely easy and cheap to buy nasty food-like substances, what is going to happen?

Chucking all this crap at people and then berating them for eating it does not work. So something else has to change.

:omr:

I'm old enough to think extra weight and the ban on smoking are linked.

When I smoked, my weight never even reached 9 stone (not sure what that would have been in kilos).
I gave up smoking 30 years ago, when my first granddaughter appeared, and I am now 76 kilos (somewhere abouty 12 stone I think).
I do try to keep myself under 80 kilos, but who the hell is gointg to want to see me naked at my advanced age? Only a doctor, surely!

(No I don't want to be married again. Looking after myself and the cat is quite enough! I'm the wrong side of 75!)

Morbidly obese here.

Is my condition my responsibility…?
95% yes (I have an inherited medical condition which both slowed growth, so, yes, short and fat, and slowed my metabolism).

However, to put the case for the defence; I had lost 4 stone (went protein heavy, carb light, no refined sugar) up until September last year, when my father passed away, and I was made redundant two weeks later.
Since that point, I have had to juggle job hunting/starting a new job, my own emotional state, winding up my father’s estate, being de factor carer for my aged mother who is in the first stages of dementia, and trying to hold a relationship together.

So, sadly my diet collapsed, and my weight has once again increased, as I have been relying on ready meals etc as I do also like to sleep occasionally.

My point is that, yes, pretty much all fat people are culpable for their own condition, however I would refrain from judging them without understanding what personal circumstances they may have.

As for fat health professionals; whilst I’m not the biggest cheerleader for our health service, what I would point out is that those who work in hospitals, generally work shifts, and hospital canteens tend to close at about 6pm, leaving those working evening/night shift few options but vending machines, brought in ready meals, or delivery services.

And that’s assuming they have enough time to have a proper break, where they could eat something more nutritious than chocolate bar.

I'm old enough to think extra weight and the ban on smoking are linked.

When I smoked, my weight never even reached 9 stone (not sure what that would have been in kilos).
I gave up smoking 30 years ago, when my first granddaughter appeared, and I am now 76 kilos (somewhere abouty 12 stone I think).
I do try to keep myself under 80 kilos, but who the hell is gointg to want to see me naked at my advanced age? Only a doctor, surely!

(No I don't want to be married again. Looking after myself and the cat is quite enough! I'm the wrong side of 75!)
An interesting point you've raised.
I've often heard of weight gain being a side-effect of stopping smoking, I wonder at the root cause.
Does smoking (or an element of it such as nicotine) act as a hunger suppressant?
Is it displacement hands/mouth activity - such as quitters fiddling with biros etc.

Another one to throw into the mix, all calories are not created equally, you get a lot more food for your calories by eating chicken etc than crisps and chocolate

I was told that the confusion of the health benefits of eggs in particular the cholesterol in them was pushed by the makers of breakfast cereals and now there is so much confusion about them that no one really knows (BTW eggs are one of the best foods you can eat in terms of what they give you and the way they fill you up)

Also next time you have porridge make it with oat bran rather than rolled oats, it's got far more in it and fills you up for ages

Stating the obvious as usual, but:

When I was hungry, I used to crave crisps even though a) I'm not really keen on 99% of the flavours, and b) predictably, they always failed to fill me up & so end my hunger. Several centuries later, I realised why I (seemingly irrationally) craved them: I don't like salt and never even have it on chips (and so on) - my craving for crisps was actually a need for salt.

My path to weight loss, eat less and swimming! Swimming has to the best exercise beats all the gym workouts and works all the body out, (I swim 4 times a week before work minimum 1000 metres) I have a home made smoothie for breakfast and just one main meal in the evening I also log everything I eat in an app, once you get into the habit it really does help it means I make conscious decisions about what I eat once you start logging your food you will never look at mayonnaise again!
Swimming is great for exercise but, sadly is becoming less and less easily accessible. Many of the local pools have closed down, it can be an expensive gig just to get in to a pool if the Council run ones are all closed and you have to go to a local gym. The government attempts to save money have shot them in the foot when it comes to reducing obesity, when they've made it harder to go anywhere by public transport or to take any exercise!

I am very lucky in that I can run where I live because the roads are very quiet with infrequent traffic and plenty of bridleways to off-road on. Can't say I'd fancy running in the city much, with traffic whizzing past my earhole all the time.

Stating the obvious as usual, but:

When I was hungry, I used to crave crisps even though a) I'm not really keen on 99% of the flavours, and b) predictably, they always failed to fill me up & so end my hunger. Several centuries later, I realised why I (seemingly irrationally) craved them: I don't like salt and never even have it on chips (and so on) - my craving for crisps was actually a need for salt.
One of my cousins told me 'If your body was short of salt, Nature would tell you to eat ants.'
:eek:

Why? Because of the grains of salt they might be carrying? In my experience, it turns out to be grains of sand.
Lugworms, however, are very gritty in texture and very salty to taste. I have direct experience.

Back