• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Old Man in the Old Truck Filled with Old Trash

Tangent7

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I’ve tossed around whether or not to put this up on the board mainly because it is such a relatively innocuous event, albeit in my humble opinion, probably fortean. Once I explain what happened, there will be those out there who will immediately assume that it was simply a mistake on my part. I swear to you, it could not have been a mistake. I’ll explain.

A couple of days ago, I picked my wife up from her work. Rush hour traffic was thick since we live in a small city. As we waited at the traffic red light to enter the main thoroughfare, an old seventies-style pickup truck slowly went through the light on the thoroughfare, all the way off the side of the road, driving on the shoulder. The truck was tan and dark brown, and the bed of the truck was filled with what looked like a lawn mower handle sticking up, dirty two-by-four boards and other old junk. An old man was driving, and there appeared to be someone in the passenger’s seat, though I could not tell even what gender that person was.

The light turned green for us, and I entered the main street. The truck was still moving slowly off the side of the road. I slowed, waited for a chance to safely pass the truck that was apparently having either driver issues or the driver was afraid that the loose trash would fly out of the truck because of the strong wind that day.

We passed easily, accelerating, leaving the truck behind. The old man was smoking, holding his cigarette in his left hand, his elbow on the window. He was shabby-looking and had a thick head of grey hair and full beard. I still could not tell who was in the passenger’s seat. We traveled through the thick traffic, and fortunately made it through two lights without stopping.

At that point the road ahead could be seen with all the cars lining up passing through the lights ahead. That’s when we saw—you guessed it—the old tan and brown truck, far up ahead of us on the thoroughfare, this time in the left lane, still filled with the same trash, moving with traffic.

There was no way that the slow-moving truck could have gotten ahead of us. My wife and I both were stunned, because the whole experience felt weird to us. We considered all the explanations that could have come up, that it was a similar very unusual truck with similar trash in it, or we somehow got stuck at a light and the truck somehow went through the light and got ahead. Nothing seems to fit the circumstances. We purposely have not told anyone else because we figure that most people would logically assume we were somehow mistaken.

A small experience, but one that has been on my mind in quiet moments.

Has anyone else had a similar experience that they would care to share?

Its the little strangenesses in life like this that can freak you out the most - almost making you question the nature of reality itself.
Weird.

With multiple lanes of traffic it's quite possible for specific vehicles to end up ahead or behind each other at various times. Just yesterday I was commuting home in rush hour traffic and had such a 'positional exchange' with a white SUV. I passed him on the expressway, then he got ahead of me on the multi-lane exit ramp. I ended up passing him (by virtue of being in a more quickly moving line of cars) and a few blocks later he moved well ahead of me as my line of vehicles got bogged down by people turning off.

Years ago I had what I thought was a similar bizarre experience involving what seemed to be a single pickup truck over the space of a half-hour. I finally realized I'd seen two different - but remarkably similar - vehicles / drivers when I noticed something about the second that definitely hadn't been the case with the first.

I've also experienced similar 'how'd he get ahead of me' situations that turned out to be the result of the other driver taking a shortcut I didn't know about.

EnolaGaia said:
With multiple lanes of traffic it's quite possible for specific vehicles to end up ahead or behind each other at various times. Just yesterday I was commuting home in rush hour traffic and had such a 'positional exchange' with a white SUV. I passed him on the expressway, then he got ahead of me on the multi-lane exit ramp. I ended up passing him (by virtue of being in a more quickly moving line of cars) and a few blocks later he moved well ahead of me as my line of vehicles got bogged down by people turning off.

Years ago I had what I thought was a similar bizarre experience involving what seemed to be a single pickup truck over the space of a half-hour. I finally realized I'd seen two different - but remarkably similar - vehicles / drivers when I noticed something about the second that definitely hadn't been the case with the first.

I've also experienced similar 'how'd he get ahead of me' situations that turned out to be the result of the other driver taking a shortcut I didn't know about.

There were two lanes of traffic, and the shoulder that the truck was driving down. There would be no way for the truck to pass us without us noticing it. The entire episode took maybe two minutes at the most. The truck that was ahead of us had the same trash in the back of it that the truck (lawn mower handle, etc.) we passed had, positioned the same way. The truck was exactly the same color and year as the first truck.

These are the things that I think about. This feels different to me than experiencing a coincidence would. If it is a paranormal experience, why on earth is it so seemingly minor? Do things like this happen to provide humans with a sense of wonderment that the impossible CAN happen? Does the experience hold any meaning that I can't seem to figure out? What forces in this reality cause something like this to happen or appear to happen?

Sorry, I guess I'm rambling on about the nature of personal reality. I'll climb back into the background for a while.

EnolaGaia said:
With multiple lanes of traffic it's quite possible for specific vehicles to end up ahead or behind each other at various times.
True, but I also seem to recall we have a thread already about multiple and apparently impossible sightings of vehicles - trouble is, I can't recall what it was called! Perhaps some of the contributors to that thread, if they're still around, can help?

From your description of the way the truck was being driven and the rest of your account, it does sound unlikely that it could have passed you physically.
You do not mention any type of 'missing time' phenomena so we assume that not to be the case.
The passing, then being passed again thing that we all experience on the road does not seem to fit this, again going by your account.
IMHO things like this are happening all the time. Minor things that do not always register as they do not seem out of place. In this case the vehicle drew your attention to it so you noticed the whole thing. If the vehicle were a more modern saloon travelling at the general traffic speed the event would still have taken place but you would not have noticed it. On this occasion you were fortunate(?) enough that the circumstances allowed you to notice this one.

maybe he took another route u didnt no about or maybe twas a phantom it does happen i once overtook the same car a good 5 or 6 times without it ever passing me i no this cuz i remeber the driver was rather hot

Trivial but impossible events like these are among my favorites. What purpose do they serve? Maybe none, or maybe they're just there as quiet nagging reminders that we really do not know what the *** is going on around here. Thanks for posting it.

IamSundog said:
Maybe none, or maybe they're just there as quiet nagging reminders that we really do not know what the *** is going on around here.

I agree with you absolutely. :D

Back