• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Onania Club: Schadenfraude Fetish

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Expect the worst from Tom Six, known for memorable films like The Human Centipede 1, 2 and 3.

This one goes perhaps one step further in bad taste. People masturbating to videos of terrorist attacks.

Teaser probably not safe for work.

Pff. Back in the 80s The Toxic Avenger featured the villainess masturbating to children killed in car crashes. Still not sure why that film's supposed to be funny.

Yes. I liked Crash - the movie. I watch horror movies often and gore and jump scares and anything that has Christian symbology ( like The Exorcist) as part of its horror isn't scary to me. Crash creeped me out because I realized that there could very well be people out there like the characters in the movie.

I notice in the new Sight & Sound Best of 2020 list, Kim Newman names The Onania Club one of his Top Ten best of the year! Don't know how he saw it, it has no release as far as I can work out.

Expect the worst from Tom Six, known for memorable films like The Human Centipede 1, 2 and 3.

This one goes perhaps one step further in bad taste. People masturbating to videos of terrorist attacks.

Teaser probably not safe for work.

Paraphilia is an actual thing.

Tom Six explains why you haven't seen The Onania Club (if you want to):

I do feel sorry for him, if it really is as good as those who have seen it say, if he can't get distribution. At least he went on the record as to why it hasn't been released.

Latest interview while Six still awaits a distributor...

I live for making films, but I would never sell my soul to put out safe, mass-pleasing films. Life to me is only meaningful if I can create what is inside of me, and if I am not being limited by other people’s boundaries. I am certain that The Onania Club will be debated, enjoyed or hated for decades to come. It will have longevity and reach a huge audience. It just needs the right, visionary, distributor to wake up and release it.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/3abzvj/tom-six-onania-club-interview-human-centipede-director

John Waters has seen it. And includes in his Top Ten of the year...

THE ONANIA CLUB (Tom Six)
OK, I’m really going out on a limb here, replacing Pedro Almodóvar’s exquisite Parallel Mothers, a film everybody should love, with this loathsome unreleased feature everybody will probably hate. The Human Centipede director tops himself with a story of rich Los Angeles women who gather together to masturbate while watching news footage of the world’s misery. Often wrongheaded but sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, it has been rejected by film distributors worldwide. All I can say is that the movie sure as hell delivers. You will probably never be able to see it. Maybe that’s a good thing . . .

https://www.artforum.com/print/202110/best-films-of-2021-john-waters-87205

Back