The Optical Illusions Appreciation Thread

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Curiously enough, I don't think this is a Superior Mirage. There is no distortion near the bottom of the boat, which is what I would expect with a mirage. The photographer, David Morris, seems to have a better idea of what caused this- it is a 'false horizon', the result of different colours in the sea itself.
View attachment 36297

I spotted something similar the other day, (not a floating ship), the sea appeared to have two very distinct layers. The bottom layer was light grey and the top was almost like a wall of darker grey. Very odd. I see the sea every day and have never seen anything like it.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Another one of these, from Cornwall:

1615383151256.png

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Curiously enough, I don't think this is a Superior Mirage. There is no distortion near the bottom of the boat, which is what I would expect with a mirage. The photographer, David Morris, seems to have a better idea of what caused this- it is a 'false horizon', the result of different colours in the sea itself.
View attachment 36297
experts have enhanced the above image to bring out more detail...
X34-landspeeder.jpg

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Not sure if i should post tjese here, fortean art thread or the photo you need to really look at to understand thread, feel free to move if you like.

I waa looking at some amazing street art and i thought i would share some images here

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
ba3dbb083528fa7ff75f2757403ea5c8.jpg

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Am I missing something here?
My tentative understanding of the point is that the motion of the graphic elements is illusory.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Am I missing something here?

Are you not seeing the movement when the video plays, or is it that you aren't detecting the video at all?

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score

flannel

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
@Swifty , @flannel

Put in a few words of explanatory/editorial comment please :)

Doing it without messes things up for accessibility.

This was my relatively mild Mod post on the subject:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/good-posting-practices.16430/page-5#post-2071346

and this is EnolaGaia being rather more forceful:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/good-posting-practices.16430/page-5#post-2071365

Frides
I would normally, but optical illusions are fairly self-explanatory.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
They're not very self-explanatory when simply pasted in from a social media posting in a non-English language.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Yes, I can't imagine why someone with impaired vision would be looking at a thread about visual things.

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I can't imagine why someone with impaired vision would be looking at a thread about visual things.

People can and do appreciate all sorts of things.

Not everyone who struggles with this is totally blind as in absolutely nothing. Even then, they have the right as board members to scan down a list that says

* Amazing pavement art of chalk drawings (mountain, gorge, skyscrapers) which appear 3D
* Vertical stripes of black and white which appear to wobble although they are stationary.
* Two rocks which seem to be one dark and one light. They are really the same colour, with a contrasting dividing line.

Think tunnel/peripheral vision, think cognitive issues, think cataracts and tremors. Think of all the vision issues which don't take any notice of other people's failures of imagination.

A lack of imagination is a severe handicap. I don't know what the accommodations would be. Fortunately for many other conditions or differences there are very simple things which make a huge difference. The guidelines are intended to make the place as accessible as possible to as many actual and potential members as possible.

Please do let me know in PM if something isn't clear and/or you want to discuss the difficulties further. I've had several very positive conversations about this recently. :)

Frideswide

Edit to add: Rather than derailing this thread further, please take discussion to PM as suggested or the General Website Queries thread:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ueries-2018-onward.66436/page-13#post-2076944

Last edited:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Are you not seeing the movement when the video plays, or is it that you aren't detecting the video at all?
I could only see Japanese text, and had no idea what it was meant to be.