• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Optical Illusions Thread

Optical illusion captured by Rosie Patterson as ship appears to fly off coast of Porthleven
6266724.jpg

Emma Ferguson

At first glance it appears that a world first has been captured off the coast of Porthleven - a 'flying' container ship, apparently hovering over the water.
Closer inspection confirms, however, that in fact it is a stunning optical illusion that gives the impression of a hovering vessel.

In a rare state of conditions, the sea in the foreground of the picture is choppy, with waves, while further back out to sea where the ship is anchored the water is calm and mirror-flat.
This creates the illusion of the ship apparently sitting in the sky, with the horizon line placed along top of the choppy water.

This stunning image was captured by Rosie Patterson, who has posted it on the Porthleven Facebook page to rave reviews.
Commenters have described it as "crazy" and "totally mad" with one even questioning if the photo was real.
Another wrote: "Who needs Derren Brown when you have Rosie Patterson?" :D

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...Porthleven___but_there_s_a_twist/?ref=mr&lp=1

I don't think that's a container ship. If it's the same one that's still there, it's the bulker Navios Buena Ventura, which arrived from Gdansk, Poland, a couple of days ago.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/author/profile/76887.Emma_Ferguson/

I don't think so .... perspective tricks .. I just can't work out the angles in my head, I think the table top is the starting point to this illusion, it's usually foreground but buggered if I know .. one clue is that it looks like it was filmed with reverse photography (spot the cards on the ground at the very last second seeming to raise up and into his hands ?) ... this is at least partially a reverse engineered effect (on camera) IMO, we might be able to work out the rest of the trick from there ..
That guy is famous for his CGI/film editing illusions. This is a film cut and not a perspective trick. You can see his left elbow behind the cards in the beginning of the piece which would be impossible if the larger cards were standing on the floor from the beginning.

There's loads more from him om Youtube.

That guy is famous for his CGI/film editing illusions. This is a film cut and not a perspective trick. You can see his left elbow behind the cards in the beginning of the piece which would be impossible if the larger cards were standing on the floor from the beginning.

There's loads more from him om Youtube.
I hadn't noticed the elbow part .. well spotted Sir.

Took me a while.

Can you see the sixteen circles?

(some people find it extremely simple and others struggle)

View attachment 7020

Ha! That's interesting: it didn't take long using the 'magic eye picture' technique of sort of focussing a bit wrongly to see all sixteen, and then I found individual circles popping up apparently at random - number 7 being the worst offender.

Optical illusion captured by Rosie Patterson as ship appears to fly off coast of Porthleven
6266724.jpg

Emma Ferguson

At first glance it appears that a world first has been captured off the coast of Porthleven - a 'flying' container ship, apparently hovering over the water.
Closer inspection confirms, however, that in fact it is a stunning optical illusion that gives the impression of a hovering vessel.

In a rare state of conditions, the sea in the foreground of the picture is choppy, with waves, while further back out to sea where the ship is anchored the water is calm and mirror-flat.
This creates the illusion of the ship apparently sitting in the sky, with the horizon line placed along top of the choppy water.

This stunning image was captured by Rosie Patterson, who has posted it on the Porthleven Facebook page to rave reviews.
Commenters have described it as "crazy" and "totally mad" with one even questioning if the photo was real.
Another wrote: "Who needs Derren Brown when you have Rosie Patterson?" :D

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...Porthleven___but_there_s_a_twist/?ref=mr&lp=1

I don't think that's a container ship. If it's the same one that's still there, it's the bulker Navios Buena Ventura, which arrived from Gdansk, Poland, a couple of days ago.

Cold water mirage

Back