• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Optical Illusions Thread

I've just posted this on the Lookalikes thread:

not that guy 2.jpg

Is it just my computer - or does that bit of debris recorded in the image look like something actually stuck to your screen too?

Focus on central figure. Observe and note direction of spin. Focus on left or right figure. Observe direction of spin. Return to centre: direction of spin has changed. This is clearly mind control. Explanations? Clearly you use the guidelines on the outside figures for reference, but why is it so hard to 'overrule' one direction of spin without them?

4r8KslR.gif

Last edited:
Focus on central figure. Observe and note direction of spin. Focus on left or right figure. Observe direction of spin. Return to centre: direction of spin has changed. This is clearly mind control. Explanations? Clearly you use the guidelines on the outside figures for reference, but why is it so hard to 'overrule' one direction of spin without them?

View attachment 10009
This worries me somewhat, as the advertised effect only kicks in when I shift focus to the right-hand figure. Shifting to the left-hand figure has no effect on the central figure's apparent direction of rotation. What's going on?!

This worries me somewhat, as the advertised effect only kicks in when I shift focus to the right-hand figure. Shifting to the left-hand figure has no effect on the central figure's apparent direction of rotation. What's going on?!

You are broken.

Focusing left changes the central figure's rotation to clockwise; focusing right changes it to anti-clockwise.

Try again.

You are broken.

Focusing left changes the central figure's rotation to clockwise; focusing right changes it to anti-clockwise.

Try again.
It was my second attempt that prompted the forlorn post. Now, when I look again, the middle figure is changing rotation at random if not at will. :crazy::truce:I think that is the universe telling me it's time to go to sleep.

It was my second attempt that prompted the forlorn post. Now, when I look again, the middle figure is changing rotation at random if not at will. :crazy::truce:I think that is the universe telling me it's time to go to sleep.

giphy-2.gif

This is simply two circles, but reaching that conclusion has hurt my brain. ...

This particular item represents the best figurative illustration I've seen to date of the 'just out of reach' character of the migraine-related visual distortions that plagued me in my earlier years.

Wish I had a photo of this one. Maybe I'll take one next time we're there.

Over the weekend we were driving uphill towards a t-junction. Across the junction was a tall street light, and it lined up exactly with the white lines along the centre of the road, which looked truncated because of the hill; so the lamp appeared to be standing in the middle of the road.

I gaped for a second until we neared the junction and I saw the gaps between the lines. Wonder what it looks like at night? Would you worry about avoiding it?

Back