• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Optical Illusions Thread

Um... straight away I can only see it as grey and turquoise.

Mr Zebra on the other hand can only see it is pink and white.

How fascinating! What does that mean, then?

EDIT: That's both of us looking at it simultaneously on the same computer, by the way... so we can rule out differences in monitors or whatever.

A clue to the correct colour is to look at the hand holding the shoe.

It's all wrong.

I make it ten or possibly eleven concealed faces.

EUBJaj7WsAUnyrL.jpeg

10 for me, struggling to find an 11th.

I make it ten or possibly eleven concealed faces.

Most sources agree the maximum number is 10. It's difficult to verify a definitive answer, because this tree / face illusion is itself a mystery.

It's often circulated under the label "Leaders Tree" or "National Leaders Tree." It can also be found circulating under the title "Indian Leaders Tree" and claimed to illustrate only Indian leaders' faces.

This illusion / puzzle is commonly described as having originated with an unnamed Harpers Illustrated cartoonist in the 1880s. I have a very hard time believing that, but I can't disprove it. I suspect someone has mistakenly correlated this more modern illusion / puzzle with a very similar one from the 19th century.

In case you'd like to check the claim the faces all represent Indian leaders, here are the (spoiler-protected) graphic key to the faces and the textual list of whom they're supposed to represent.

how-many-faces-tree-puzzle-answer.jpg

1. Rajiv Gandhi
2. Indira Gandhi
3. Dr. Radhakrishnan
4. Chandrashekhar Azad
5. Subhash Chandra Bose
6. Rabindra Nath Tagore
7. Mahatma Gandhi (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)
8. Gopal Krishan Gokhale
9. Jawahar Lal Nehru
10. Lal Bahadur Shastri

Edit to Add:

SOURCE: https://metro.co.uk/2016/01/01/how-many-faces-can-you-see-in-this-tree-5595695/

Last edited:
The one halfway down on the left (so elegantly described by the Snail as "doing something cinematic with a penis"... really Escargot...
you'd never catch me making cheap jokes about dicks.

I'm not angry, but I am disappointed)

Er... what was I saying... oh yes.

Looks like Nehru

Edited to add: Just seen Enola's post. I'm right!

I found 11 faces in that.

In case you'd like to check the claim the faces all represent Indian leaders, here are the (spoiler-protected) graphic key to the faces and the textual list of whom they're supposed to represent.

1. Rajiv Gandhi
2. Indira Gandhi
3. Dr. Radhakrishnan
4. Chandrashekhar Azad
5. Subhash Chandra Bose
6. Rabindra Nath Tagore
7. Mahatma Gandhi (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)
8. Gopal Krishan Gokhale
9. Jawahar Lal Nehru
10. Lal Bahadur Shastri

Number 3 could be 2 faces, if you look at it.

I see... another hipster! You can't escape them even in lockdown!

The one halfway down on the left (so elegantly described by the Snail as "doing something cinematic with a penis"... really Escargot...
you'd never catch me making cheap jokes about dicks.

I'm not angry, but I am disappointed)
If you're not angry and disappointed, then you're not paying attention!

Back