• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Optical Illusions Thread

Shiny legs?

Ft_95ZMWYAIuj1x.jpeg

And some architect will design the side of building to look like it.

Simultaneous contrast illusions like the one below are due to visual hardware, not brain processing:
https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/optical-illusion-solved/
View attachment 67730
Here's the paper:
https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1011117
I wonder if this explanation for visual process is the reason that I have to put a piece of clothing into natural light to determine what colour it really is. I can't match clothing when looking at it without natural lighting, unless I am already familiar with what colour it is - eg. light blues vs light greens, black vs navy.

I wonder if this explanation for visual process is the reason that I have to put a piece of clothing into natural light to determine what colour it really is. I can't match clothing when looking at it without natural lighting, unless I am already familiar with what colour it is - eg. light blues vs light greens, black vs navy.
Adults* did this in shops when I was with them as a child so it's normal to me.

*By 'adults' I mean women. Men seem to have assumed they'd judge it correctly right away. :chuckle:

Adults* did this in shops when I was with them as a child so it's normal to me.

*By 'adults' I mean women. Men seem to have assumed they'd judge it correctly right away. :chuckle:
I used to mix up water colour, acrylic and gouache paints in the artists studio where I worked in central London many years ago. The colours I mixed for other artists had to be spot-on, and the only aid I had to work with was daylight. During the winter time, it was a real headache trying to match-up colours for clients, as whichever room the colour samplers were viewed in could give a different result - nightmare! Being the newest artist of course, I always got the blame. (standing fall guy):slapd:

This was posted on the 'Terrible Art in Charity Shops' Facebook page earlier:

363777469.jpg

I can see now that's a child looking down to the left, but at first glance I saw a rather malevolent, crook-nosed sort of elf with sunglasses on looking directly at me, it gave me a bit of a fright!

(I've literally just noticed that it's very like that Victorian (?) young woman/crone illusion)

Look at the image below.
Just looks like 6 wavy lines with a few blobs.
Look across the image from side to side rapidly though (works best by tilting your tablet or smartphone) and you just may spot a legendary musician!

illusion.png

Back