• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Optical Illusions Thread

Ha. . . me too 'PeteByrdie!'
Just 'Pete' is fine.

Or anything really, it's not my real name anyway. Yet I still feel I'm being told off if I'm called 'PeteByrdie'.

Reactions: Sid
Just 'Pete' is fine.

Or anything really, it's not my real name anyway. Yet I still feel I'm being told off if I'm called 'PeteByrdie'.

I'll have to work on trying to remember that then Pete!

Last edited by a moderator:
My
Well I spent two minutes turning the screen all over and it still looks the same to me.
My daughters tablet did it too honest. Rotate the screen around the vertical axis so you are looking virtually edge on along the dark blue lines - get the picture as big as you can on your device.

The only way I can get it to (almost) work is to squint until my eyes are almost shut, whilst looking straight on at the screen.

My

My daughters tablet did it too honest. Rotate the screen around the vertical axis so you are looking virtually edge on along the dark blue lines - get the picture as big as you can on your device.
The non-effect must be down to the increase in perspective, and closing out the allusivity of the smaller detail on the effects to the 'eye.'

Many years ago, I had a 'magic eye', optical illusion book and have never known this to work on a mobile phone.

Made another attempt and it obviously does!

It occurs that neither my granddaughter, or her friends, are likely to be aware this illusion exists and are old enough now to possibly make sense of these pictures (not everyone can do so).

If likewise, something you have never come across before, it can take quite a few minutes until the first one suddenly - and an amazing experience that first time - reveals a hitherto, hidden 3D image.

The tips are that you should put your eyes sightly out of focus, then repeatedly move the image close to your eyes and slowly away again.

It does require practice, however, after the initial success, it seems to become increasingly easier.

This is a sample image and best viewed in landscape mode (maybe best to download separately).

Magic_Eye_00.jpg

There are plenty images available online and these are a few of the more challenging:

www.forteanmedia.com/Magic_Eye_06.jpg
(215k)

www.forteanmedia.com/Magic_Eye_07.jpg
(232k)

www.forteanmedia.com/Magic_Eye_09.jpg
(315k)

www.forteanmedia.com/Magic_Eye_10.jpg
(1.7Mb)

I will be interested to see what little one and her friends think about it. Different from my day, of course, as they can share images. Plus, even better, they also all have prerequisite school iPads at home!

I suspect though, because it doesn't sing or dance and isnt on TikToc... :)

It takes me a while to 'lock in' on those images. I find that moving my head side-to-side a bit helps to find the 3D part of the image.

These are not really optical illusions, but something which still breaks my brain. It is called tensegrity, where you can make a rigid sculpture using loose strings.
Those yellow lines are not solid or fixed but simply strings, yet still manage to hold something up in the air.

tensegrity-anti-gravity-structure-01.jpg

These are not really optical illusions, but something which still breaks my brain. It is called tensegrity, where you can make a rigid sculpture using loose strings.
Those yellow lines are not solid or fixed but simply strings, yet still manage to hold something up in the air.

View attachment 53563
I can see how it would hold the structure in the air, but I can't see how it can be called a rigid structure, as the top frame would tend to tilt downwards either to the left, or to the right.

I can verify the above numbers. I pasted the pic into a bitmap editor and adjusted the gamma, which made the numbers more visible.

So what didn't stop the other cars from proceeding along the road? Did they not pay attention? This video imo shows how much people just don't question anything and keep doing the same thing day after day. What if it was a great hole? No one else even slowed. I would definitely trust driving with this guy who noticed the odd thing on the road before taking rides with the others.

For example, there was a flooded area of road, which I didn't drive through as I didn't know if it was a sink hole. A friend of mine drove right through it, only to realize later that it was deeper than she thought, though not a sink hole.

Part of the illusion relates to the initial scene appearing to show a road surface that's a continuous upward slope.

Once he drives past the pooled water you realize the pool had to have collected at a low point in the road surface.

By inverting the perceived slope of a road out front of a vehicle this illusion is related to the mystery / gravity hills illusion:

Magnetic / Gravity / Mystery Hills (Where Things 'Roll Uphill')
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...mystery-hills-where-things-roll-uphill.21091/

The red circle is sticking out for me? Great illusion though!

Call me an optimist, but I also see no recession.

I took ten second to 'click' but the red circle is now projected forwards for me, too.

Back