• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Orville

Let's hope it makes its way onto normal telly. I can't help but think that these pay-to-view streaming services, whilst making a lot of money for their owners, do limit a lot of otherwise popular programmes to a smaller audience behind a paywall.

Let's hope it makes its way onto normal telly. I can't help but think that these pay-to-view streaming services, whilst making a lot of money for their owners, do limit a lot of otherwise popular programmes to a smaller audience behind a paywall.
I'm surprised the streaming services are not lobbying for the UK TV license to be discontinued.

Everything seems to be subscription. I, for one, can't afford them all.

I wouldn't mind so much if you only had to pay for what you watch, but it seems that everything is lumped together in packages with stuff that you have no interest in.

Actual monster movie episode this week, reminded me a bit of Event Horizon. Thought it was going to be a boring relationship story, but could not have been more wrong. They're certainly racking up the baddies.

I hope you do, @Shady ! It's been rather good. This week's was a disorienting one, but very watchable all the same. The ship does seem to have a habit of picking up signals that lead to danger, though, you'd think they'd learn their lesson by now.

LOL well without the danger there would be no show. Yep, I may go to Amazon again, if they have it, and then i can watch several in a row.

I've quite enjoyed this last season of Seth MacFarlane's solution to not having been prominently cast in a Star Trek series. I wasn't keen on season 2. It's not really either a comedy or parody or a science fiction show with its own identity and message. But this season has been okay so far.

I've only noticed this is the last couple of episodes. Is the incidental musical style they're currently using very reminiscent of Charles Schneer/Ray Harryhausen movies. I'm thinking the Sinbad movies. I can't find a particular composer it reminds me of without rewatching a bunch of movies, but they seem to be going for a particular antiquated style.

Excellent time-travel plot for today's episode. I'm really enjoying this season.

Looking forward to seeing it, eventually.
It is on Hulu or Netflix, can't remember which. I liked the first two seasons, haven't seen the new episodes though.

Its on Disney, I watched it at my sisters house i've already seen series 1 and 2 and am now on series 3 I have one or two epis to watch to catch up.

I think that there was less humour in series 3, I miss that, but we shall see, if it returns gradually.

What is it with the cast tho, Scott Grimes and Adrienne Palicki get married then divorced not long after, Seth McFarlane sleeps with Halston Sage and breaks up, only, as far as I know, starts sleeping with her replacement Jessica Szohr
Quote:
Unfortunately, it was Alara's unique Xelayan super-strength that led to her departure from the USS Orville crew.18 Mar 2020

Bull, the new one has the same strength, someone didn't watch it

I've just watched the finale of season 3 of The Orville, and in my opinion it's really found its voice. It seems to be dealing with subjects more deeply and with more humour than the franchise to which it will always be compared. The first season felt like a Star Trek parody, which I liked, but nobody else seems to have and, besides, Star Trek is parodying itself perfectly well these days. The second season felt too serious to me, in which case, why not just watch Trek? This season felt like it had a balance.

One thing that occurs to me, not something about which I have much to say, just an observation. A lot is spoken of about how society is becoming more litigious. I read the other day that, in 1978, 20th Century Fox sued Universal Studios claiming Battlestar Galactica had stolen '34 distinct ideas from Star Wars.' (Quote from Wikipedia). Aside from laser shootouts and space dogfights, I can't think of much. Given The Orville's world building is largely Star Trek with some words changed, I wonder how that works.

Back