The Ouija Board

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
New episode of the Knock Once For Yes podcast is a 2 hour special on Ouija boards with the opportunity to win a board and some other ouija related goodies.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
TBH IDK why ouija boards are in the esoterica heading. The ideomotor phenomenon isn't supernatural and is well reported on FFS.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
TBH IDK why ouija boards are in the esoterica heading. The ideomotor phenomenon isn't supernatural and is well reported on FFS.
The Esoterica section has long been the default home of threads relating to occult / occult-ish / divination practices.

Divination based on personal abilities (i.e., personal prescience; as opposed to ritual / game-like praxis) has typically been addressed in the Parapsychology section.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
This post makes me wonder if the hopeless jumbles of letters people sometimes report 'receiving' from the Ouija are actually textspeak-type acronyms, possbly from the future, The Vertical Plane-style.
Or not. IDK. I muste needs say, how cometh this, that ther are manye thyngs for whiche I hath no rekenyng.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The following story could easily have been posted in so many threads, but as the use of a Ouija board seems to have been the main objective, I've decided it fits in here. Let the idiocy begin.

ouija.png

YouTuber Admits He Faked Girlfriend's Death So He Could Stage A Séance
Proving that there really is no subject off-limits for YouTube pranksters, Jason Ethier - also known as ImJayStation - has admitted that he faked the death of his girlfriend so he could hold a blag séance to try and boost his subscriber count.
Anyone else had enough of this decade already?

The online prankster, who has more than five million subscribers, shared an emotional video last week in which he claimed his girlfriend - and fellow YouTuber - Alexia Marano had been killed by a drunk driver.

He followed up his first video with a second video in which he claimed to be in a memorial area for his 'deceased' beloved.
While his viewers responded with sympathy, Jason decided to go one step further and uploaded a video of himself using a Ouija board in an attempt to make contact with his partner from 'beyond the grave'. Jesus wept.
https://www.ladbible.com/news/viral...nds-death-so-he-could-stage-a-seance-20200128

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for waxing facetious when I didn't read the entire article, but the line "children played among the residues of dark rituals — little piles of cigar stubs, apples and severed chickens’ heads" reminds me of all the trash I see everyday: cigarette butts, candy wrappers, and dried out french fries (chips).

BTW, satan is supposed to be capitalized. Why can't publications hire proofreaders anymore?

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The deep psychological trauma that follows,(some people), using an Ouija board has always intrigued me.

I get the skeptics view of the unconscious movement of the planchette but it really misses the whole story.

But then again Skepticsim usually does miss the whole story.

What is usual in most (strange). Ouija stories:

Ouija is usually played by children or teens.

There is a message that apart from one individual participant nobody else should know.

There is activity during and beyond the session.

There is a deep psychological change in one or more of the participants that is persistent after the session.

And yet it is impossible to replicate/never gets replicated.

I'm wondering if the whole thing is linked to a similar state of mind such as shamanic drumming? What is going on in the brain when people are involved in a Ouija experience?

Why does the Ouija event follow some people and not others?

I've never met someone who has been "haunted' by a Ouija experience, I've met one person, who was no-nonsense and unimaginative who said she experienced something that terrified her.

I still find the whole thing fascinating and I fully believe that it's the state of the mind of the participant that influences the activity of a Ouija session.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
I agree entirely NF. I remember to this day my mother and my god mother using a Ouija board, on one occasion. Must have been well over 50 years ago. Can't remember what happened if anything, but the fact that I remember the incident (when I have only vague snapshot memories of my early childhood) shows how much of an impression it made even to me as an observer. Never got involved with the things myself.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The deep psychological trauma that follows,(some people), using an Ouija board has always intrigued me. ...
I'm wondering if the whole thing is linked to a similar state of mind such as shamanic drumming? What is going on in the brain when people are involved in a Ouija experience? ...
I still find the whole thing fascinating and I fully believe that it's the state of the mind of the participant that influences the activity of a Ouija session.
I think the reason some folks are deeply affected by using the Ouija relates to the Ouija method / procedure itself.

The Ouija is arguably the most extreme engagement in divination / communication / etc. one can experience because it is personally participatory. By this I mean everyone touching the planchette is directly involved in the process of generating the message in real time.

This affords a degree of experiential immediacy that isn't so readily induced when (e.g.) one shuffles Tarot cards and has another person across the table reveal and interpret them. If your fingers are on the planchette you're actively participating in selecting the elements of the message. Because the message is being assembled directly from the items to which the planchette moves there is no indirection in forming the outcome nor any intermediate step of interpretation by someone else. It is what it is, and you were party to selecting what it is.

There's also a measure of social reinforcement, because you're selecting the message elements collaboratively with whomever else is touching the planchette.

The Ouija is the one consultation / divination procedure that most directly engages the audience member with the process and hence leaves the least room for avoiding responsibility for the outcome. You can either accept or reject the outcome, but only at the expense of accepting or rejecting the procedure itself.

I can't think of another procedure that goes so far in forcing the participant to "buy into" the outcome. This induces a personal investment of belief / emotion that's unavoidable and inescapable.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
The deep psychological trauma that follows,(some people), using an Ouija board has always intrigued me. I get the skeptics view of the unconscious movement of the planchette but it really misses the whole story.
I think you'll find that psychology can scoop up the rest of what is going on, if skepticism doesn't do the job.
But then again Skepticism usually does miss the whole story.
It isn't that Skepticism doesn't take in the whole story, it's more that it isn't susceptible to the superstitious mindset, and so isn't victim material.
What is usual in most (strange). Ouija stories: Ouija is usually played by children or teens. There is a message that apart from one individual participant nobody else should know. There is activity during and beyond the session. There is a deep psychological change in one or more of the participants that is persistent after the session. And yet it is impossible to replicate/never gets replicated. I'm wondering if the whole thing is linked to a similar state of mind such as shamanic drumming?
And what are the children told that the Ouija Board entails? Talking to devils and the dead. Scary stuff. Imagine what could happen if the kid has an underlying mental condition that has gone undiagnosed?
What is going on in the brain when people are involved in a Ouija experience? Why does the Ouija event follow some people and not others? I've never met someone who has been "haunted' by a Ouija experience, I've met one person, who was no-nonsense and unimaginative who said she experienced something that terrified her. I still find the whole thing fascinating and I fully believe that it's the state of the mind of the participant that influences the activity of a Ouija session.
Well, much like drug abuse, or illicit sex, Ouija boards have the cache of being forbidden fruit, so naturally kids are interested. Then they experience the ideomotor effect. But what is the ideomotor effect? It can serve as a freeway to the unconscious mind, much like people who have an ability with automatic writing. Now let's suppose that the mind involved is not expecting this to work, or is laden with plenty of content that they aren't comfortable with. How many unstable people are trying to forget traumatic events that their unconscious mind is trying to get them to integrate and remember? It must be just like having a devil parading your secrets about when the ouija board begins to relay messages. We are our own devils and our own angels both.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I think you'll find that psychology can scoop up the rest of what is going on, if skepticism doesn't do the job.

It isn't that Skepticism doesn't take in the whole story, it's more that it isn't susceptible to the superstitious mindset, and so isn't victim material.

And what are the children told that the Ouija Board entails? Talking to devils and the dead. Scary stuff. Imagine what could happen if the kid has an underlying mental condition that has gone undiagnosed?

Well, much like drug abuse, or illicit sex, Ouija boards have the cache of being forbidden fruit, so naturally kids are interested. Then they experience the ideomotor effect. But what is the ideomotor effect? It can serve as a freeway to the unconscious mind, much like people who have an ability with automatic writing. Now let's suppose that the mind involved is not expecting this to work, or is laden with plenty of content that they aren't comfortable with. How many unstable people are trying to forget traumatic events that their unconscious mind is trying to get them to integrate and remember? It must be just like having a devil parading your secrets about when the ouija board begins to relay messages. We are our own devils and our own angels both.

I love this but I'm part of this pandemic and don't have the time to respond.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
The rate people are dying there may be a latency problem on the ouija network.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The rate people are dying there may be a latency problem on the ouija network.
Joking aside, you might be onto something - in the years of the First World War there was a greater interest in seances because of the amount of death around, people wanting reassurance about an afterlife. Could the same thing happen again?

Sabresonic

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Joking aside, you might be onto something - in the years of the First World War there was a greater interest in seances because of the amount of death around, people wanting reassurance about an afterlife. Could the same thing happen again?
Or taking DMT ??? I would love to try that but I think it would send you knutz ?