• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I read somewhere recently - probably on a link in the Breaking
News on here - that the earliest TV shows are just reaching the
nearest stars. The article specifically mentioned The Lucy Show and
speculated whether aliens would
understand the difference between the mask on The Lone Ranger
and the one on What's My Line?

Intergalactic Media Studies beckons. :rolleyes:

My dad did a ouiji board once with his brothers. We do'nt what happened he wo'nt speak about it at all. All I know is that it terrified him. My dad is very sceptical and not easy to scare but whatever happened it was not good. Me and my sister have asked what happened but all he does is shake his head and say "believe me , you do'nt want to know." My aunt witnessed a wierd incident with a ouiji board as well. She was at school and at lunch some of her friends suggested playing with a ouiji board. They did .She watched. They got through to someone and it was a laugh at first until the girl who was the main instigator started to shake uncontrollably. Blood started to pour from her ears , mouth , nose. They called an ambulence but once at hospital they found nothing wrong with her. It did'nt put them off and some of the girls did another ouiji in a graveyard. One of the girls started to hear voices afterwards. It was a young man who had died and had become attached to her. She was seen walking around and talking to herself. Sometimes she was seen violently falling backwards as if something pushed her.Some other girls had a go (They still had'nt learnt the lesson) and tried to contact this girl who had been in their year but had been murdered. Her boyfriend had been convicted of it but the message came through on the ouiji that he was innocent.As far as I know he's still in prison. All I can say is I would'nt use one. I do'nt know how true the stories are but the girl bleeding I spoke to her boyfriend who had been there at the time and he confirmed it.

Ouija related injuries

When I was at school in the 1980s I remeber a girl telling of a Ouija session she was involved in going horribly wrong. I heard the tale several times later from different people and the details were fairly consistent. It would be interesting to no if anyone else who went to school in the Bolton area (Lancashire, UK) is out there and can give more details.

The story went that a group of teenage pupils held a Ouija session at one of their houses. They began to get some fragments of a message but one of the boys refused to take the thing seriously and started laughing. The glass then began to spell "GET OUT" repeatedly. The boy who still thought the whole session was a joke got op to leave the table and the glass flew up and smashed on his head. He was away from school for some weeks whilst having glass splinters removed from his scalp.

There were a few other first hand stories of "sucessful" Ouija sessions at the time, plus others which were friend of friend stories.

The glass that hits the unbeliever seems quite a common occurence it seems. A friend i knew during the 80's was holding a session with a mate and his very sceptic brother. After the glass had started moving it was spelling out that "one" is not genuine. The sceptic got up and said that it was one of them spelling this and was quite peed off; and just as he reached the doorway which was about 5meters from the table, the small shot glass (apparently unbreakable) flew towards him and even thou it never hit him, exploded in midair into thousands of small pieces. some where embedded in the sceptics skin. my friend who saw it happen said it couldn't have been any of the others if they tried.

Strangely enough if I hear any more similar stories it can only mean two things: a) it's a serious point that should be checked by paranormal reserchers or b) a nice new FOAF.

:hmph:

Slight change of subject (sorry)

Heard loads of these ouija stories, both the dubious mate of a mate ones and the kreepy kosher sounding ones, i was wondering if anyone had had any strange experiences with reading the cards. Me and arkid had a deck years ago that led to all kinds of weird goings on.

Urban Myth?

Dingo said:
Strangely enough if I hear any more similar stories it can only mean two things: a) it's a serious point that should be checked by paranormal reserchers or b) a nice new FOAF.

Presuming that Dingo's friend didn't live in Bolton :) we could indeed have a new FOAF story. I think the story I heard was first hand but I can't even remember the girls name now!

Nothing to do with Ouija

James Whitehead said:
I read somewhere recently - probably on a link in the Breaking
News on here - that the earliest TV shows are just reaching the
nearest stars.

The nearest stars are just over four light years away, so theoreticaly anyone with a TV receiver orbiting Proxima Centuri should be watching Diana's funeral right now! The earlest TV programmes were broadcast in the 1930s so the signals should be reaching stars over 60 light years away (I'm not sure how many stars that is, about 200?). Carl Sagans novel "Contact" (I haven't seen the film) hinged on the idea that aliens orbiting a star 26 light years away could watch the TV Broadcast of Hitler's Berlin Olympics and send a reply by 1986.

I think in reality it has been suggested that the actual picture components of the TV signal wouldn't be strong enough to reach other stars.

Re: Slight change of subject (sorry)

durriti said:
Heard loads of these ouija stories, both the dubious mate of a mate ones and the kreepy kosher sounding ones, i was wondering if anyone had had any strange experiences with reading the cards. Me and arkid had a deck years ago that led to all kinds of weird goings on.
Tarot reading interested me for some years. Mostly it was fairly innocuous stuff but there were two occassions where something else seemed to *take over* my body. Both times I was aware but isolated, as if there was a glass sphere surrounded me. What I was saying came out without editing and both times I was fortelling something bad. In both cases the events occurred within the time span my voice had given. I'll try and write it up sometime.

Tarot reading interested me for some years. Mostly it was fairly innocuous stuff but there were two occassions where something else seemed to *take over* my body. Both times I was aware but isolated, as if there was a glass sphere surrounded me. What I was saying came out without editing and both times I was fortelling something bad.

The scary incidents revolving round ar Caroline´s cards were more to do with what happened to me after I started reading. She brought them back from a holiday in Scotland with her mates family august 93. We both started mucking about with them doing readings for friends and family, using the idiots guide to tarot included in the pack. We both realised soon enough that the trick to it is to improvise around the cards, bending the literal meanings of the cards into a performance that entertained the person we were reading for, and amking sure any concrete predictions we made were a long way in the future (as I was 15 and arkid 13 that meant about 3 months) Eventually we got bored of the cards and they were shut away in a draw in arkids room. Anyway, about 3 years later when I was going away to university I found the cards and nicked them to take with me. I started doing readings again for mates using the cold reading technique Id used years earlier, but I started to make predictions that were quite accurate. The cards began to lose their individual meanings entirely and the whole picture of the cards began to translate directly into words that came from my mouth without me having to think about them. I did a reading in my girlfriends room in a halls of residence that had a rep for being haunted (dont they all) and the hand that I had to read was an absolute nightmare so I said that I couldnt see anything and told my mate I was reading the cards for I wanted to go to bed. Mhy GF went to sleep strait off but I felt weird and coudnt sleep. I was worried about the corner of the room, and when I looked up I saw a very tall figure stood there. I curled into the duvet absolutely terrified with my head facing the wall, hissing "turn the f***ing light on" untill my GF wekkened and did just that. She said shed seen and felt nothing strange and the feeling of imminent dread was replaced by run of the mill quaking fear. The girl I was reading the cards for lived in the room above and moved out the next day saying "something" had been in her room that night and she wasnt going to sleep in the room any longer. The trance like readings mentioned above certainly ring a bell though.
In a rush so sorry for bad grammar/spelling.

She was, u wouldnt catch her lobbing a glass at your head during a seance neither, Shane McGowan on the other hand.....

Jack,
Durriti's sig is a quote from a Kirtie McColl song. (Have I spelt her name right this time or not?) Poor girl drowned this time last year while on a holiday which was supposed to take her family's mind off the recent death of a friend.

On a lighter note-
A coconut to the first wag who mentions 'Shane McGowan', 'seance' and 'spirits' in the same posting!

Durriti's sig is a quote from a Kirtie McColl song. (Have I spelt her name right this time or not?) Poor girl drowned this time last year while on a holiday which was supposed to take her family's mind off the recent death of a friend.

Full marks for spelling and punctuation Escargot. Stranger death than you reckoned though, she was run over by a jet ski off Acapulco, with resulting horrific head injuries, after pushing her kids out of the way of the imbecile driving it (we get eejits like that killing 3 or 4 people every summer over here). Her (excellent) last album released a couple of weeks b4 her death was entitled "Tropical Brainstorm". Ok its not quite "Ride a White Swan" spooky, but it is a nasty coincidence. Que descanses en paz, Kirsticita.

So close to xmas too, how awful for her kids....

The world is far too nasty for my liking. I mean just stuff like that. It's horrible. How can it be that you can die for absolutely no good reason at all? It's just not on. That's why I never learned to drive (I bet the gliding club wish I had though) I've lost too many mates in RTAs. Doesn't seem worth the risk, if I can get the bus.

Re: Nothing to do with Ouija

Austen said:
I think in reality it has been suggested that the actual picture components of the TV signal wouldn't be strong enough to reach other stars.
Quite right - the actual wave-signal would travel on for ever, but the modulation (which carries the information) would degrade pretty rapidily.
A seond difficulty is that even if the signals were undegraded, aliens would need 20th-century type TV receivers to pick them up and display them.
Even if they could do that, would they actually be able to see the pictures and make sense of them? A TV picture consists of lots of coloured dots flashing on and off in a precise rythym. I believe this rythym corresponds to the neural firing of the human nervous system and that we share this particular neural pattern only with cats; other animals see only patternless coloured flashes.
Yes, I know - completely off-topic. But this "aliens watch our old TV shows" thing gets trotted out so often, I felt I had to show why they probably aren't.

The world is far too nasty for my liking. I mean just stuff like that. It's horrible. How can it be that you can die for absolutely no good reason at all? It's just not on. That's why I never learned to drive (I bet the gliding club wish I had though) I've lost too many mates in RTAs. Doesn't seem worth the risk, if I can get the bus.

Beautiful place though. I think we expect there to be a reason for everything, particularly in this day and age when science claims to have most sh1t sussed, which makes tragic acidents frightening. The things that scare me most are things that people actually mean to do. Did you see the front cover of the Mirror after the fall of Kabul? What groups of people will do to individuals they have in their power...it happens over and over again in any culture where the rules suddenly change and human life loses its value. I wonder if its something inherent in the human condition that we actually want to turn into a snarling lynch mob every now and again. I have this recurring nightmare about watching a roman circus and being dragged down from the audience to participate , "price is right" style. I think the audience accepting the horrors in the arena scares me more than whats going to happen to me below. I hope there is a devil and its not just us! :devil: :eek:

Re: Re: Nothing to do with Ouija

Annasdottir said:
I believe this rythym corresponds to the neural firing of the human nervous system and that we share this particular neural pattern only with cats; other animals see only patternless coloured flashes.
Yes, I know - completely off-topic. But this "aliens watch our old TV shows" thing gets trotted out so often, I felt I had to show why they probably aren't.

Dogs can see TV too. There was a "One man and his dog" programme where the sheepdog liked to relax after a hard day in the fields by sitting on the sofa watching reruns of... "One man and his dog" !!

They were clearly paying close attention. I'd love to have been able to understand the 'conversation' they were having about it.

"I don't think he really wanted to do that! ... Look at the one on the left, you idiot! ... Too impulsive, that one, these youngsters are all the same..."

I didnt know Kirtie McColl was dead until just now:(
I'm off to listen to Fairytail of New York,have a drink and maybe shed a tear.

Hello all, if anyone wants to try an online OUIJA board, there is an interesting site:

http://www.portage.co.uk/ouija/

I copied the picture, increased the size, printed it, photocopied it to A3 sized, laminated it and instant board!.

Well, I did have some spare time on my hands...

My only noteable success with a OUIJA board was at university when several of my friends tried it one night using a made-up board.

The first few "contacts" were jumbled and incoherent but eventially a contact was made with a spirit called Peter who claimed to be a student from the same halls of residence that we were in. We were to scared to follow up on the information given as to "prove" it as being real to us would have been a bit too much for us youngsters.

It was not nasty or threatening and did not predict anything unpleasant but the first time I had a "reading" by a psychic some 10 years later she recounted the experience to me in too much detail for my liking. There was lots of "he is staying with you to help you heal" type stuff which I was skeptical about, but it did arouse a deep interest in ghosts and the paranormal which has lasted ever since.

I still don't believe in ghosts, but have seen too many things to make me disbelieve. In true fortean style I am looking at what evidence can be established before making up my own mind.

thanks

Uncle Bulgaria

People seem very convinced by all this so why don't a bunch of us go up to James Randi's place and earn ourselves an easy million?

hi there people, this is my first post. me and my mates we're talking the other day about messing about with home made ouija boards in school and how we hadn't done that in years. just wondering where you can getting a smart looking ouija board here in the UK. tried looking on the net but the only ones look like kids toys.

I always made them myself with scraps of paper and a glass . Personally I find the whole thing draining and pointless , I don't believe you are talking to spirits , just stuff out of the peoples minds who are using it ( and yes the glass does move without people pushing it )

Personally I think it's a dangerous thing to mess with.
And yes, I have done it, but that was with a group of friends, none of whom took it seriously.

We used to sell'em in our shop.

One of our popular lines was a photocopy one for 99p- easily burnable in an emergency!

I dabbled in this with me mates at school and we 'raised' the actor Pete Duel, supposedly, who had recently died.
A chair moved behind us- we ran off screaming like bean sighs.

My BF hung his impressive collection of boards on a wall facing his neighbour's house- this neighbour began being haunted around that time!

This has all been dealt with most illuminatingly on a previous thread- bump time?

used to do them as a kid, remember the fun with weirdness happening and bouts of paranio. just thought it would be better to give on a go now i'm older and wiser (last part of the statement could be questioned...). so if any one knows where i can get a funky wooden cheap (!) one in the UK (not on an online auction, i don't really trust them) then please post.

Back