• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Is there a similar style that says "hello" as well as "goodbye"? "Goodbye" without "hello" seems a little forlorn.

The only canonical / mandatory elements on a Ouija-style talking board are the alphanumerics (individual letters and digits), because any message can be assembled from these elements.

Additional elements (e.g., whole keywords) afford the convenience of not having to repeatedly spell out common responses from the other side. The use of such "quickie" or "shortcut" elements apparently dates back to the 19th century talking boards that inspired the Ouija's creation, and some such precedent boards included more such keyword elements than the 4 commonly encountered on the Ouija.

The earliest mass-marketed boards (at least the earliest ones for which I've seen pictures) included "Yes", "No", and "Good Bye" but not "Hello." The first 3 are more or less canonical. "Hello" remains something of an option. Even the Wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija

... notes "Hello" as occurring only "occasionally."

Here's my take on why the "Hello" shortcut element is treated as an option ...

The Ouija is used as a collaborative game* board. The game that utilizes the Ouija involves a presumptive sort of "buy-in" on the part of all participants - i.e., a suspension of belief and an acceptance of / surrender to the protocol or logic of the game activity itself.**

The presence of a "Hello" element provides a shortcut that could short-circuit the process of one or more participants' achieving the sort of buy-in or engagement upon which the activity relies. A premature "Hello" could therefore leave one or more participants as-yet-unvested in the activity, and hence undermine the collective suspension of belief and openness to the outcomes.

* I'm not being facetious or condescending in alluding to "game" - I'm using "game" in the general sense of consensual collective play behavior a la Huizinga in Homo Ludens.

** This is the transition Huizinga called "entering into the ludic attitude."

A Ouija Board rug for sale on eBay.

Ouija Board rug on ebay

Here's a photo in case the listing expires -

ouija rug.jpg

New episode of the Knock Once For Yes podcast is a 2 hour special on Ouija boards with the opportunity to win a board and some other ouija related goodies.

TBH IDK why ouija boards are in the esoterica heading. The ideomotor phenomenon isn't supernatural and is well reported on FFS.

The Esoterica section has long been the default home of threads relating to occult / occult-ish / divination practices.

Divination based on personal abilities (i.e., personal prescience; as opposed to ritual / game-like praxis) has typically been addressed in the Parapsychology section.

TBH IDK why ouija boards are in the esoterica heading. The ideomotor phenomenon isn't supernatural and is well reported on FFS.

This post makes me wonder if the hopeless jumbles of letters people sometimes report 'receiving' from the Ouija are actually textspeak-type acronyms, possbly from the future, The Vertical Plane-style.
Or not. IDK. I muste needs say, how cometh this, that ther are manye thyngs for whiche I hath no rekenyng.

So i was looking at some videos on youtube of so called ghost hunters doing various investigations and then the eyes start rolling when one decides to pull out the "quija board" (hope i've spelt it right)

question is, why do people have to hold on to the plastic thingy? why can't the "spirits" move it on it's own? my guess it's because they know nothing would happen right? unless ghosts suddenly become 100% proven.

the reason people have to each have a finger on it is because one or all of them are moving it right?

i came across this arcticle which explains a specific body movement is responsable (well, when the people touching it aren't just faking it in the first place that is.) or it's a combination of the two.

https://www.vox.com/2016/10/29/13301590/how-ouija-boards-work-debunked-ideomotor-effect

thoughts?

are there any videos of people using the board without touching anything ? i suppose it could still be fake that way with magnets etc....

I've uncensored the thread title to make it more 'search-friendly'-- Yith

Last edited by a moderator:
GOOGLE suggests that 'Quija' is a common variant.

I hadn't ever seen it before, mind you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The following story could easily have been posted in so many threads, but as the use of a Ouija board seems to have been the main objective, I've decided it fits in here. Let the idiocy begin.

ouija.png

YouTuber Admits He Faked Girlfriend's Death So He Could Stage A Séance
Proving that there really is no subject off-limits for YouTube pranksters, Jason Ethier - also known as ImJayStation - has admitted that he faked the death of his girlfriend so he could hold a blag séance to try and boost his subscriber count.
Anyone else had enough of this decade already?

The online prankster, who has more than five million subscribers, shared an emotional video last week in which he claimed his girlfriend - and fellow YouTuber - Alexia Marano had been killed by a drunk driver.

He followed up his first video with a second video in which he claimed to be in a memorial area for his 'deceased' beloved.
While his viewers responded with sympathy, Jason decided to go one step further and uploaded a video of himself using a Ouija board in an attempt to make contact with his partner from 'beyond the grave'. Jesus wept.
https://www.ladbible.com/news/viral...nds-death-so-he-could-stage-a-seance-20200128

Apologies in advance for waxing facetious when I didn't read the entire article, but the line "children played among the residues of dark rituals — little piles of cigar stubs, apples and severed chickens’ heads" reminds me of all the trash I see everyday: cigarette butts, candy wrappers, and dried out french fries (chips).

BTW, satan is supposed to be capitalized. Why can't publications hire proofreaders anymore?

Back