• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Ghislaine Maxwell's trial is about to to begin.
Guardian link -

Ghislaine Maxwell finally goes on trial after 15 months on remand

Ghislaine Maxwell is to emerge from her New York prison cell on Monday after a 15-month wait for the start of a trial for sex trafficking children, perjury and the enticement of minors while she was a close associate of the late financier Jeffrey Epstein.

The 59-year-old, the youngest child of the British newspaper magnate Robert Maxwell, has been held on remand in a Brooklyn detention centre since shortly after her arrest in July 2020.

During lengthy jury selection procedures, international interest will focus on two key issues: first, the likelihood that Maxwell and her lawyers will offer up details of prominent names implicated in the case, including Prince Andrew’s, and second, the alleged poor state of the defendant’s health.

Anyone taking bets on when she will be suicided ?. Or can Reddit allow one of it's senior mods to be offed?.

Anyone taking bets on when she will be suicided ?. Or can Reddit allow one of it's senior mods to be offed?.
Techy and I're surprised she's still with us.

We've been through all this before. It's the Kind Hearts and Coronets conundrum - which apparently random accident could befall her?

Her powerful enemies are capable of arranging anything short of a major geological incident.

Or they make a deal, where she keeps her mouth shut and gets smuggled out of prison after 6 months, when nobody is paying attention anymore.

Or they make a deal, where she keeps her mouth shut and gets smuggled out of prison after 6 months, when nobody is paying attention anymore.
Don't think I would trust any Maxwell to keep their gob shut. If early release comes about, I'd give her 12 months at the most.

"The poor state of the defendant's health" - oh dear predictable or what? About time this was legally prevented from being an excuse.

Don't think I would trust any Maxwell to keep their gob shut. If early release comes about, I'd give her 12 months at the most.

"The poor state of the defendant's health" - oh dear predictable or what? About time this was legally prevented from being an excuse.
I often wonder how ill was Leon Britton ?

Prison time can be very good for one’s health. Only ten months of a 5-year sentence cured Ernest Saunders of his Alzheimer’s.

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

@Xanatic* -
Do you mean a plea bargain? Any sign of that and she's a goner for sure.

Her problem is that there are too many people to make deals with/over.

How many powerful men would want their names keeping out of it? 50? A hundred? How would Maxwell even know who they all were?
Then, who is going to negotiate on her behalf?

It's all sooo complicated. :)

@PeteS -

Yup, she will clutch at any straws she can find and drag down anyone else she needs to.
(Which is not as mixed a metaphor as it first appears. :chuckle:)

To people involved in Epstein's shenanigans, Maxwell is a serious liability. They will NOT want her free to talk either in prison or outside.
It would only take one worried party to arrange a mysterious house fire or car crash.

Have to say, I am enjoying all this and have no pity. :cool:

It could play out in the same way as some of the major drug cartel supergrasses, ie no immunity, but a lifetime in anonymous house-arrest. Not free but not prison either, and safer under federal protection.

It could play out in the same way as some of the major drug cartel supergrasses, ie no immunity, but a lifetime in anonymous house-arrest. Not free but not prison either, and safer under federal protection.
That's when they give evidence that puts others away though. Maxwell is trying hard not to have to do that.

Both she and we know that she'd be signing her own death warrant at any whiff of co-operation.
American prisons are corrupt and brutal places. She wouldn't be safe.

In fact, the moment a trial starts and evidence is presented about who might have been supplied to whom and by whom and how famous the purchaser was, it's all over for her. :cool:

If she were given the 'supergrass' way out, which actually might suit a number of interested parties, we'd never hear from her again until she was found floating face-down in a swimming pool or chilly ocean.

Until that time she'd have a life of fear, constantly looking over her shoulder and maybe moving from place to place, always at night, and of course having to work out how to avoid handing over half her remaining fortune when the husband she hurriedly married while on the run tires of living like a fugitive...

Ahhh, the 'eart bleeds dunnit. :rollingw:

Last edited:
Yep, but if she's a pragmatist she'll know that some chance is better than no chance. She'll never be "safe" so will probably go with comparatively "safer".
There's no chance whatosever that she'll be safe though; the best she can hope for is to put off the inevitable for a while.
Moreover, even if she did by a miracle live 30 more years, she'd still spend that time in daily fear.

Machiavellian characters like Epstein and others, including her own father, could benefit from others' fear of exposure after being compromised. Maxwell knows this doesn't apply to her.

While Maxwell was useful to him when he wanted a supply of girls to abuse and pass around that didn't make her any more than a willing employee.
It is the opposite of what Epstein had: he enjoyed power without responsibility, whereas Maxwell had responsibility without power.
This is what will get her killed.

Not a bargain with the court people, with the people behind the scenes.
Yes, but there are too many and none of them will trust each other. It will be like a Mexican stand-off. :chuckle:

She might just be gunned down by a father or mother of one of the children, one never knows, how evil does a woman have to be to hand over one of her own sex?, did she ever consider that that could be her child or a friends, or was it just the dollar signs she saw? was she not rich already? I just do not understand it and never will, such a disgusting thing she is, as well as the so called men

You all seem very confident this will go somewhere. I bet ultimately it will do no more than scrape the surface - probably not even that.

The elite have made themselves drastically more powerful than even a few years ago - almost back to feudal levels.

was it just the dollar signs she saw?
That's about it. What a disgrace.

Not unheard-of though. When I worked with teenagers in care we'd occasionally meet teenagers, both girls and boys, whose own parents had put them into prostitution.
Their own parents. Usually their mothers. It was like something from W T Stead's The Maiden Tribute of Modern Babylon.

One, whom I've mentioned before, had a huge dragon tattoo winding around her torso to please the Chinese men her mother farmed her out to.
It seemed all Chinese prostitutes have tattoos so the girl's was to reassure the men that she was indeed someone they could abuse. :mad:

So yeah, women do entrap others into sexual abuse. I'd belabour every one of them with a broken-off pickaxe handle.

You all seem very confident this will go somewhere. I bet ultimately it will do no more than scrape the surface - probably not even that.

The elite have made themselves drastically more powerful than even a few years ago - almost back to feudal levels.

The feudal system never really went away, there has always been a financial/political elite, from time to time new members join - "new money" of whatever sort, Tech Bros and the like at the moment but they're always there.

I think you're right that little will come of this, the most will be Maxwell "falling down the stairs" or perhaps the "health issues" recently mentioned can be turned into a sudden heart attack or suchlike.

The feudal system never really went away, there has always been a financial/political elite, from time to time new members join - "new money" of whatever sort, Tech Bros and the like at the moment but they're always there.

I think you're right that little will come of this, the most will be Maxwell "falling down the stairs" or perhaps the "health issues" recently mentioned can be turned into a sudden heart attack or suchlike.
All true.

However, this bit - there has always been a financial/political elite, from time to time new members join - "new money" of whatever sort covers the likes of Epstein who try hard to slip in there but don't quite manage it.

Think I've mentioned this before.

They might be the most desperate social climbers, expert arselickers, willing to chuck money around to court favour, but they're never quite in.
When things wrong their erstwhile friends close ranks against them. That's how Epstein ended up dying of an apparently assisted suicide, with no particular outcry except from the conspiracy theorists who wanted to know what secrets had died with him.

They might be the most desperate social climbers, expert arselickers, willing to chuck money around to court favour, but they're never quite in.
Indeed - if you watch the ITV dramatisation about Lord Lucan (highly recommended) this is portrayed quite vividly, with a definite inner and outer circle, the former to be protected at all costs regardless of their activities and the latter expendable despite in many cases having been to the same schools, in the same regiment, belonging to the same club etc etc. It's a hugely complex set of criteria across a range of conditions - social, familial, financial, etc etc, and for those who score uniformly high on each normal rules do not apply. I'm sure we can all think of examples, but let's not.

Indeed - if you watch the ITV dramatisation about Lord Lucan (highly recommended) this is portrayed quite vividly, with a definite inner and outer circle, the former to be protected at all costs regardless of their activities and the latter expendable despite in many cases having been to the same schools, in the same regiment, belonging to the same club etc etc. It's a hugely complex set of criteria across a range of conditions - social, familial, financial, etc etc, and for those who score uniformly high on each normal rules do not apply. I'm sure we can all think of examples, but let's not.
Sure we can. Jimmy Savile for a start. He inveigled himself into every powerful circle you could think of and his influence still continues.

All true.

However, this bit - there has always been a financial/political elite, from time to time new members join - "new money" of whatever sort covers the likes of Epstein who try hard to slip in there but don't quite manage it.

Think I've mentioned this before.

When things wrong their erstwhile friends close ranks against them. That's how Epstein ended up dying of an apparently assisted suicide, with no particular outcry except from the conspiracy theorists who wanted to know what secrets had died with him.

I don't disagree and wasn't necessarily thinking of him as part of the "true" elite, just adjacent to and in service of it.

Interesting comments from Eric Weinstein (unfortunate surname in this sort of conversation) about Epstein which relate to our conversation:

Back