• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Outsider Art Thread

From DangerousMinds. http://dangerousminds.net/comments/satan_amazing_trove_of_outsider_art_found_in_detroit

"SATAN! AMAZING TROVE OF OUTSIDER ART FOUND IN DETROIT"

"A very Henry Darger
ir
-ish story has begun to unfold in Detroit, USA—an asbestos inspector (what a thankless job THAT must be in Detroit) found several drawings in a house slated for demolition, and gave them to that city’s alt-weekly, the Metro Times."

I'm strongly reminded of the Ezekiel/UFO in Florida art that was found.

Probably just some bored kid who decided to have a go at doing a comic book.

Satan gets the headline - and indeed the leading part in the book - but it is a piece of graphic hell-fire preaching of the Christian, end-times-are-a-coming variety. I don't think a kid did it. :cool:

It's badly drawn if an adult did it.

A lot of outsider art is badly done. That's why it's mostly found in skips and junk shops rather than galleries and museums.

There used to be an old tramp with an obvious mental illness who'd wander about our town sketching doodles and writings. When he was finished, he'd leave them in hiding places (cracks in the church wall or behind things) or post them through local shop letter boxes. A man I know first alerted me to them and together we started collecting them .. I own all of them now. They're very strange, a mixture of symbols, drawings and equations. When I find them again, I'll try to post them on here or mail them to FT magazine. The nearest I got to finding out what they say was from someone who told me they resembled old theatre actor short hand ... all written on scraps of paper and scruffy bits of cardboard..

The above song by Paul MCartney always reminds me of him :) ... the weird thing was that he had incredibly powerful eyes .. it was even difficult to make eye contact with him, he clearly was living in his own reality ... when I find them again, I'll send you a pm and hopefully send them to you in the post (or an address of your choice) .. consider it a gift Dave, it's not like I'm going to do anything with them and they're pretty spectacular :cool:

The above song by Paul MCartney always reminds me of him :) ... the weird thing was that he had incredibly powerful eyes .. it was even difficult to make eye contact with him, he clearly was living in his own reality ... when I find them again, I'll send you a pm and hopefully send them to you in the post (or an address of your choice) .. consider it a gift Dave, it's not like I'm going to do anything with them and they're pretty spectacular :cool:
Nice one! No one's ever sent me tramp art before. Cheers Swifty.

I wouldn't mind having a peek either, any chance of just a little sample? :cool:

You got me thinking about way back, cira early 90s when I was somewhere I forget in central London with a friend, we stopped for a moment by this doorway, quite a large space set back from the street, which looked like someone had been sleeping there. There was weird writing on the wall in chalk, can't even remember what it said now but with hindsight think it was reminiscent of 'word salad'.

You've got me wondering if this chap's efforts are something similar?

I wouldn't mind having a peek either, any chance of just a little sample? :cool:

I'm crap at the whole scanning then posting pictures thing so sadly not yet ... I think it's safer if I send them to Mr. Plankton for you all to enjoy and ponder on .. the tramp (I was later told) was a paranoid schizophrenic although that doesn't rule out that he had something relevant to say .. I've just got to re - find them now and then it's all go .. I always intended to send them to FT headquarters and even showed them to some military types I met to try and decode them. One person reckoned they were old theatre performer shorthand. That's as far as I've got so I'll be mailing them to Mr. P as soon as ...

Thank Goodness for "outsider art".
Here's some from my neck of the woods
Howard Finster
image.jpg

Robert Johnson
image.jpg

Georgia Guidestones
image.jpg

Native American Artifact
image.jpg

From Saturn, via Birmingham Alabama
image.jpg

This is beautiful work ... (same video I've just posted in the good stuff thread)

This recent Van Gough parade was a bit mental ... I think we can safely call Van Gough an outsider. He's been pushing up daisies for 125 years now by the way. I remember reading somewhere about the last woman still alive who once met him when he traded one of his paintings with her Dad for a hot meal. She said that from memory, he was smelly and rude .. (so he'd have been from Norfolk then?) .. either way, here's some nutty floats ..

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/..._birthplace_honors_the_125th_anniversary.html

A documentary about the Toynbee Tiles and one man's obsession with them ..

Last edited:
I'm looking, in vain it seems, for an Italian recluse who sculpted the stones on his property over about 40 years around the 1950s and 60s, turning it into one highly unusual space. The stones feature hundreds of unique faces, each with its own character and personality showing through. His backstory was that he went to the USA as a young man in the thirties, fell in love with a woman who died or left him for another man, and he returned to this lonely hillside property in Italy (on an island?) to live alone and work out his demons through sculpture and landscaping. I found the original image on the Google maps travel game on the BBC site, and finally tracked down the artist, saved a bunch of links, and then promptly upgraded my computer. So the links are in my old PC. I may have to drag it out and hand crank the old girl up for the links.

Anybody heard? There was no English wiki on him, and the Italian wiki was very brief. I'll keep searching for a while.

Anybody heard? There was no English wiki on him, and the Italian wiki was very brief. I'll keep searching for a while.

The back story you provide sounds like Edward Leedskalnin, what with the unrequited love aspect but he was Latvian.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Leedskalnin

There was this Italian reclusive artist and sculptor. His first name was Americo, but it doesn't look like he ever went to the States. He did end up on a lonely hillside estate.
http://www.pordenonemontanari.it/home.html

Any help?

The back story you provide sounds like Edward Leedskalnin, what with the unrequited love aspect but he was Latvian.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Leedskalnin

There was this Italian reclusive artist and sculptor. His first name was Americo, but it doesn't look like he ever went to the States. He did end up on a lonely hillside estate.
http://www.pordenonemontanari.it/home.html

Any help?
Thanks, but not the droid I'm looking for. The final link draws a malicious site warning from my net security.

Leedskalnin's tale looks tasty anyway. My quest continues.

Found him. Fillipo Bentivegna.
bentivegna.jpg.JPG

The best link I could find was a blogger on our very thread topic: https://outsider-environments.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/filippo-bentivegna-il-castello.html
Filippo Bentivegna, Il Castello Incantato/The Enchanted Castle

895-F.jpg

picture (2012) licensed under Creative Commons
Life and works

Born in the litlle community of Sciacca in Sicily, Italy, as the son of a fisherman, Filippo Bentivegna (1888-1967) as a young man couldn't find work in Italy, and so, like many other young Italians, in 1912 he migrated to the United States.

Where he stayed in the US is not very clear. One source says he was in Chicago, being employed by a company that constructed railroads. Another source says he stayed in Boston and worked in the harbour. This is probably correct, because Bentivegna had family over there (nowadays members of the Bentivegna family still live in Boston, according to Facebook messages).

The story is that he had a love affair, that (for him) ended in a traumatic experience. He probably courted a young lady, the daughter of an important man in town, who thought Filippo was no party and "teached him a lesson". i.e. had him attacked physically.

But it might also be that Filippo had an accident on the wharf were he worked. The accident or whatever it was, may have caused mental problems.

Anyhow, it was the end of the american adventure, and after WWI, in 1919, Filippo returned to his hometown Sciacca.

Back in Italy

Since he had fled his military service in Italy, he was convicted to some years in prison, but this was not affected, because at the same time he also was declared to be insane.

Probably because he had saved some money from what he had earned in the U.S., Filippo Bentivegna was able to buy a plot of ground in Sciacca, where he went to live in a small cabin.

While cleaning the terrain from the many rocks which were dispersed on the plot, he got the idea to carve them into impersonations of people.

picture (Flickr, apr 2010) courtesy of i-bluesky (Dario)
click to enlarge
Carving heads into the limestone rocks would become a project he has been doing the rest of his life, ultimately producing some three thousand of these heads.

When asked why he made these sculptures, Bentivegna would answer that he did this just for himself, without any intention of selling them.

picture from the Facebook album devoted to Bentivegna

Bentivegna also made frescoes on the wall of a cabin in the garden with memories of his stay in the US, urban scenes with skyscrapers, creations that nowadays are considered as art brut.
The people of Sciacca called him Filippo delli testi, he was mostly ridiculed and probably his behaviour in public was somewhat eccentric indeed.

The site has been saved for the future
Following his death in 1967, the site was left unattended for although some members of the family would allow visitors to look around after paying a small entrance fee.
In 1971 Gabriele Stocchi from Rome, an acquaintance of Jean Dubuffet, when on a study tour in Sicily, paid a visit to Bentivegna's art environment. He contacted Dubuffet and it was agreed that Stocchi would buy a number of creations for Dubuffet's outsider art collection. End 1971 some ten creations were sent to Dubuffet, which currently are part of the Collection d'Art Brut in Lausanne, Switzerland (More about this in a contribution by Lucienne Peiry to a 2015 conference about Bentivegna).
The sculpture garden gradually became better appreciated and in 1974 the government of Sicily bought the site and also implemented a (rather unfaithful) restoration.
Currently the Enchanted Castle is a well known outsider art environment, which has become a tourist attraction.

Here's another on atlasobscura, which was the link I'd saved last year.
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/castello-incantato

In 1929, Filippo Bentivegna left the United States after only 7 years and was a changed man. According to some, he had been assaulted and sustained brain damage. Others claimed his mind had begun to unravel after a woman broke his heart. Although the details are unclear, when he returned to his hometown of Sciacca in Sicily, he began a massive sculpture garden and was considered the village madman.

Having skipped out on military service under Mussolini to live in America, a prison sentence greeted Bentivegna when he returned to Italy. Luckily, or unluckily, he was declared too insane to serve his sentence, and instead bought a small plot of land on the outskirts of Sciacca. Living alone, he built a small cabin and began to develop the rocky land he had purchased.

Since there was little else he could do with his lot, he began to carve heads from the rocky outcroppings on his property. Resembling people he had met in America and in Italy, he spent the next 35 years sculpting until his garden had reached a total of more than 1,000 heads. During his life, his work was never appreciated, and his eccentric behavior earned him the title of village madman.

After his death in 1967, his family made his works a tourist site, where people began to come from all around Sicily to see the carvings, and a series of simplistic frescoes Bentivegna did inside his cabin. Renamed the Enchanted Castle, the under-appreciated works of this madman are now a major draw for visitors in Southern Sicily.
/QUOTE

Here's a slideshow from TripAdvisor - be warned the download is really heavy on TA.

And a video of the landscapes.

1,000 enough yet? Now they'll let me off everything and know I am sane - I mean insane, I mean, Mussolini dead! Pass me my mallet . . . :banghead:

Back