• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Outsider Art Thread

Colourful murals transform derelict windows at Camborne Tesco
By wbchris | Posted: July 23, 2016

14950193-large.jpg

A SERIES of colourful murals depicting Camborne's heritage have been capturing the attentions of shoppers at one of the town's supermarkets.

The Images of Camborne project presents the town through the eyes of some of its residents and has transformed five derelict windows at Tesco Camborne into striking pieces of art.
The designs on display have been made using artwork that was created in a community art project, led by art organisation Tough Dough, and involving schools, community groups and the public.

Participants, inspired by some of Camborne's key buildings, spaces and views, took part in activities like drawing, bookmaking, screen printing and collage.
The resulting work is a positive, colourful and vibrant reflection of Camborne and its people.

etc...

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/colourf...mborne-tesco/story-29540753-detail/story.html

More pics on page.

Which one's you, Swifty? Blue t-shirt or white fedora?
I'm one of the gulls ..

edit: here's the view to the left of that picture Ramon .. we also have muntjack deer running in and out of the cliff scrub then onto the beach that you can see. I know because I rescued one the second day I moved here and then it head butted me and bounced off.

cromer beach.jpg

Last edited:
Holbein's considered a master. There's a good book called Humanism, by John E Carroll, which delves into this painting as one of the inspirations for the decline of civilisation as we know it. Other works examined include John Ford's film The Searchers. A parable of our hopelessness and despair, apparently.

Holbein's considered a master. There's a good book called Humanism, by John E Carroll, which delves into this painting as one of the inspirations for the decline of civilisation as we know it. Other works examined include John Ford's film The Searchers. A parable of our hopelessness and despair, apparently.
On a parallel, I remember once reading somewhere that Da Vinci secured the commission to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel by illustrating that he was able to draw a perfect circle free hand ..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=leonardo da vinci perfect circle&biw=907&bih=429&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjF14bbjZPOAhVKBcAKHTcwAgcQsAQILQ

He's from Norfolk?

No but John Craske was.

Lovely article about a lost world and a damaged man in The Guardian last summer:

Admired by the likes of John Betjeman and Peter Pears, John Craske spent a spell in an asylum before taking up painting and embroidery. Now, seven decades after his death, his dramatic seascapes are finally getting wider acclaim.

John Craske was a fisherman from a family who had been fishermen for as long as anyone could remember, but he became too ill to go to sea. The sea was in his blood, he felt at home there, both when it was calm and breathing like a great beast and when it was wild and holding his life by a thread. And so he learned how to go to sea in his mind, making pictures of the element that mattered to him and that he understood...

Rest here.

No but John Craske was.

Lovely article about a lost world and a damaged man in The Guardian last summer:

Thank you so much. He's a local lad to me and never heard of him. His embroidery is remarkable. Many thanks!

Amateurish and unpolished can be a good thing :)

I agree, I was replying to a previous comment about something being 'badly drawn for an adult'. That a lot of Outsider Art has a naive quality to it that you can't learn at art school.

I'm not sure any art can be badly done.

Oh, I see what you're getting at now. How about - all art is done well, but the results vary wildly? ;)

If you get into Norwich near Magdelain St, there's a large open car park where the police turn a blind eye to graffiti artists .. my favourite is VHS, I sat eating a work break sandwich and chatting one day and was impressed with how fast he could work .. sublime stuff as well ..

I've just tried to upload one of his 'arts' but the file was too big although you can google 'VHS Norwich graffiti' or something similar ..

The world record for the largest marzipan pig sculpture in Norway and sponsored by a bank ..

Is your mate a graffiti artist?

I filmed this a few days ago, my mates living room

Very, very cool. You Cromer lads are fucked in the head.

Reminds me of the sort of places I spent huge amounts of mind-blowing times in.

Very, very cool. You Cromer lads are fucked in the head.

Reminds me of the sort of places I spent huge amounts of mind-blowing times in.
I'm not from Cromer or Norfolk but my mate's a free spirit for sure :) ...

You're there now Brum. Coastal places like Norfolk's will get to you...insidious...altering...
I've been in Cromer for just over ten years ... I've always called it to 'A-Cromertise' .. as an ex city boy, the Twilight Zone to me factor is a bonus ...

You're there now Brum. Coastal places like Norfolk's will get to you...insidious...altering...
'A local place for local people'.
'You're my wife now, Swifty'...etc.

They've sometimes got FOUR seasons a day .. no one told me that first ! ...

Back