• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Outsider Art Thread

Furriner.

Give it another twenty before you're considered even remotely familiar.
Definition of a Norfolk virgin : A girl who can run faster than her brother ..

(Stephen Fry's joke when he re opened Cromer pier ... somehow the locals didn't lynch him but cracked up laughing)

Last edited:
(Stephen Fry's joke when he re opened Cromer pier ... somehow the locals didn't lynch him but cracked up laughing)

Considering a North Norfolk crowd going to see Stephen Fry I'd imagine that about 90% of them were from Chelsea.

The other 10% wondering who the fuck that tall poofter was.

Bob Dylan confuses Blackpool pier for Norfolk, Virginia.

http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/painted-by-bob-dylan.html?m=1

(This is the second Bob mixing places up anecdote I've heard of .. the first one goes like this: Dave Stewart of The Eurythmics once invited Bob to drop by at his recording studio, Bob got the addresses mixed up so knocked on the door of an English suburban housewife instead with a "Hello, I've come to see Dave". Assuming he must be one of her husband Dave's mates she let him in, sat him down in her kitchen and made him a cup of tea but couldn't shake the feeling she'd seen this 'Bob' somewhere before. She went into her living room, flicked through a few LP covers and then the penny dropped. When her husband returned home from work she greeted him with the imortal "Dave, don't panic but I think we've got Bob Dylan sitting in our kitchen")

http://theglamourcave.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/bob-dylan-in-crouch-end.html

Last edited:
There's a crumbling car park on the near outskirts of Norwich city centre .. graffiti artist seem to be left alone to use that area ...
According to the latest edition of the local free rag, Anglia Square is going to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch with a mixture of residential and retail units.

We've heard all this before of course. Some consortium rustles up the money to buy it on the cheap, promises to turn it into the Garden of Eden, then realises it will cost too much and sells it on again.

There's a couple of good charity shops there and a cheap cafe so I'm happy enough with it as it is.

According to the latest edition of the local free rag, Anglia Square is going to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch with a mixture of residential and retail units.

We've heard all this before of course. Some consortium rustles up the money to buy it on the cheap, promises to turn it into the Garden of Eden, then realises it will cost too much and sells it on again.

There's a couple of good charity shops there and a cheap cafe so I'm happy enough with it as it is.

In the interest of restoring VHS's work before that happens then graylien (and thanks for the local gossip).. I'm sure you know this carpark ;) .. I plucked up the courage (because let's face it, graffiti artist prefer to stay unknown), work break sandwich in hand and had a nice chat with him .. he told me off a little for not break dancing anymore when I told him I used to .. it's alright for him to say that ! .. he only looked about 20 ! .. nice bloke though.
VHS1.jpg

VHS2.jpg

Last edited:

They've been saying that for twenty-odd years mate. Never happens.

Yeah it's alright...used to work pretty close by. Rough lol...but honest :) An oasis of normality in the Norwich morass of hipsterism.

I'd like to try that.....

Back in art college we also took photography .. as part of our schooling we were also exposed to the photographs of Diane Arbus .. she had mental health problems sadly that eventually caused her to commit suicide ... her images live on though, most famously the twin girls in Kubrick's The Shining .. her attitude to the world was very negative at that time, seeking to expose the fake, the weird and falsehoods in life ..

arbus1.jpg

arbus3.jpg

arbus2.jpg

Arbus4.jpg

Arbus5.jpg

... you're never supposed to feel comfortable looking at one of her pics ..

edit: and a fan art thingy on 'the girls' ..

http://richardshields.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/come-and-play-with-us-201011.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Arbus

Last edited:
Olivier de Sagazan's performance of Transformation ..

Stop giggling at the back of the classroom please ! .. here's an excellent painting of a vagina that people were too afraid to display until '95 ..
NSFW (can mods re help me out with editing this as a spoiler post please so as to not offend, thanks ?)

Last edited:
Stop giggling at the back of the classroom please ! .. here's an excellent painting of a vagina that people were too afraid to display until '95 .. NSFW (can mods re help me out with editing this as a spoiler post please so as to not offend, thanks ?)

Swifty...to edit it as a spoiler, select it all and then click on the + icon (next to the filmstrip icon). Then select the 'Spoiler' option from the menu.

Last edited:
Swifty...to edit it as a spoiler, select it all and then click on the + icon (next to the filmstrip icon). Then select the 'Spoiler' option from the menu.
Thanks dude .. have done ..

That's the mural that's sparked a controversy, because it supposedly depicts Jewish people as part of the Illuminati - and Jeremy Corbyn got sucked into the whole debacle.
Not sure what this bloke's trying to achieve with this.

Edit: Hmmm. After watching the video, I can see no person in it who can be described as 'obviously and stereotypically Jewish'. So, I've no idea what the fuss is all about. Perhaps the real fuss is that he's had the temerity to highlight the NWO/Illuminati conspiracy?

Last edited:
An article about two exhibitions and their catalogues.

In Their Own Worlds

Sanford Schwartz
JUNE 7, 2018 ISSUE
Outliers and American Vanguard Art
ir

an exhibition at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., January 28–May 13, 2018; the High Museum of Art, Atlanta, June 24–September 30, 2018; and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, November 18, 2018–March 18, 2019
Catalog of the exhibition by Lynne Cooke and others
National Gallery of Art/University of Chicago Press, 396 pp., $65.00; $39.95 (paper)

Vestiges and Verse: Notes from the Newfangled Epic
ir

an exhibition at the American Folk Art Museum, New York City, January 21–May 27, 2018
Catalog of the exhibition by Valérie Rousseau and others. American Folk Art Museum, 154 pp., $38.00

Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C.

William H. Johnson: Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, 28 5/8 x 26 1/2 inches, circa 1944
In recent decades, a tale unfolding within the larger story of contemporary art has been our gradually learning more about, and our trying to place, outsider artists. Problems begin at once, with the label. It is a description that many remain ambivalent about, and often believe should be put in quotation marks, to indicate its tentativeness. The situation somewhat echoes the moment, beginning in the 1920s and 1930s, when folk art was first being taken out of attics and looked at anew, and commentators were not sure whether that term—or the labels “self-taught,” “naive,” or “primitive,” among others—was the appropriate one or would merely suffice. “Self-taught,” though imprecise in its way—it has been said, for example, that most of the significant painters of the nineteenth century were essentially self-trained—has remained interchangeable with “folk art” for many commentators. It is sometimes used interchangeably with “outsider,” too. It strikes far less the note of a judgment from above.

Yet “outsider” catches better the quality often evident in the work of such creators of being a surprising, or possibly strange, one-of-a-kind accomplishment. Put roughly, an outsider artist is a figure who makes a body of work while operating in relative isolation, unaware of, or indifferent to, developments in the work of professional artists—though this isn’t always the case and it doesn’t mean that such a person is unaware of being an artist. Nor should it suggest that an outsider artist is a sporadic creator. Many are mightily prolific.

An outsider artist might be someone who resolutely, and perhaps eccentrically, wants to live and work only on her or his terms. An outsider artist might be someone who has been institutionalized, or who suffers some physical impairment, which keeps the person at a remove from others. But an outsider artist, as the term has evolved, might as easily be someone whose daily experience—as, say, a black person in the South—has kept that person from having any real contact with the larger culture beyond his or her immediate community.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2018/06/07/outsider-art-in-their-own-worlds/

I was looking for an appropriate thread for this but this one will have to do for now .. contemporary eccentric Wintergaten doing new weird sounds for us in new weird ways .. again ..

Alive? Is that just a way of saying 'right here now, in the flesh'?

Alive? Is that just a way of saying 'right here now, in the flesh'?

Yes - It was a common annotation on sideshow banners of that era.

The 'Alive' notation is ubiquitous on Snap Wyatt's banners, but I'm not sure it originated with him.

My theory has been that it was a way to insinuate the subject was 'actual' without using words like (e.g.) 'real', so as to dodge being accused of actionable fraud or deception.

Back