• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Parsonage At Port Arthur, Tasmania

Quake42

Warrior Princess
I wondered if any board members had visitied this building - supposedly one of the most haunted in Australia.

I went there with a friend without knowing its reputation, and we both felt overwhelmed with a sense of something being "not quite right" - we got out of there as soon as possible! We didn't see anything, but apparently a number of apparitions have been spotted there.

Port Arthur was a convict settlement with a brutal reputation, yet the rest of the site had a peaceful feel to it. It seems odd that any malign presence would manifest itself in the Parsonage, as opposed to one of the prison blocks.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences of the building, or the site in general?

I found the whole or Port Arthur eerie - I had looked forward to visiting there, but somehow didn't enjoy it at all.

I left much sooner than I had planned to drive up north and felt all the better for it.

Like Quake42 I found the whole Port Arthur experience rather ... fractured, if that makes sense.

It was a beautiful winter's day (rare in Tassie, but wonderful when they appear) and the buildings and the surrounding environment looked beautiful but it didn't feel beautiful. I just got a sense of detachment - the only way I can describe it is that it was like walking through a photograph rather than a place (like there was a dimension missing or something).

Can't say that I experienced anything 'spooky' and all the photos I took came up 'orb free'.

I would have thought the 96 massacre would have something to do with the feel of the place.

Ronson8 said:
I would have thought the 96 massacre would have something to do with the feel of the place.

Definitely - I wish I'd been there before then to see if the knowledge of that made an impact on me. But I've been told even before then it wasn't known as a "happy" sort of place, if you know what I mean.

I visited Port Arthur in 1994 armed with my my copy of "The Ghost of Port Arthur". The little book made the claim the place was indeed Australia's "most haunted" location. The Parsonage was also said to be the most haunted building on the site. Oh boy was I keen to see the upstairs rooms where most of the activity was said to have occurred. How disappointed was I when I discovered the upstairs section was closed off! But the explanation given by the guide blew my mind, he said it was closed off because people had had fits up there, or serve panic attacks. All I could do was stand at the bottom of the stairs and take pictures up into the mysterious 2nd floor.
I visited in winter so the famous night Ghost Tours were not operating, but I gotta say, during the day there wasn't any particular place in Port Arthur that gave me the creeps, not the graveyard or even the suicide cell. This was before the Massacre though, which no doubt has cast a darker shadow on the place then it's convict past.

/On a side note, I have vague memories of a TV program about Australia's most infamous ghost stories, with creepy re-enactments of the stories, included was the parsonage and a haunted hospital. Any Aussie's remember this or know what it was called?

Update: It was called "Haunted" here's the bit on the Parsonage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnLiZ7BE ... re=related

2nd Update: Holiday style footage on youtube suggests access to the upstairs section is open.

"The Parsonage is said to be one of the most haunted places at Port Arthur, with rumours of ghostly sightings going back to the middle of the nineteenth century. The Reverend George Eastman died in an upstairs bedroom. When he was placed in his coffin it was too awkward to carry down the stairs so a rope was rigged to lower it out of the window onto the ground. However the coffin was too heavy, the rope broke and the corpse was tipped into a gutter. For many years after this unfortunate incident people reported smelling rotting flesh, hearing unearthly moaning noises and seeing strange lights inside the parsonage.

A nineteenth century writer, George Gruncell, described a number of strange events that occurred at the Parsonage in the 1870s. The Hayward family had been visiting Melbourne and the Reverend Hayward had hurried back leaving his family to follow. One night after his return, the doctor at the settlement, seeing lights from the upstairs rooms of the Parsonage, thought that the parson's wife and children had returned. When he went to welcome them home, he found only the Reverend Hayward and a servant. No one had been upstairs and when the rooms were inspected they were found to be in darkness. But others in the settlement had also seen the lights and assumed that the family had returned.

On another occasion the Reverend and his wife were sitting in the drawing room when they became aware of an intense light shining under the door of the study across the landing. When they peered through the keyhole the room appeared to be brilliantly illuminated, yet when they opened the door it was in complete darkness. A few months later they had Judge Flemming staying with them and they told him the story of the mysterious lighted room. He was not inclined to believe the story but that same night the lights appeared again exactly as they had before. They all peered through the keyhole at the brightly lit room but when they opened the door it was completely dark.

The guest chamber gained a reputation as a haunted room. A lady guest was driven from her bed one night by unexplained knocking noises that seemed to come from the walls and floors in the room. When she fled up the stairs she heard the patter of feet behind her.

"Some months later, a servant was sent to check the fire in this room. Suddenly she let out a terrific shriek and collapsed senseless in the middle of the room. When she was revived, she explained that she had seen the figure of a man looking at her through the window. He had a knife or dagger in his hand and he held it as though about to strike. She would never again enter the room after dark.

Shortly before the penal settlement was disbanded, Mrs Hayward's mother and sister came to visit. One night Mrs Price, the mother, was unable to sleep. The moon was shining through the window and as she lay with her eyes open she became aware that somebody had entered the room. It was a human figure draped in white. She lay still and watched the figure through half open eyes, afraid that it might be a burglar after her jewels.

The figure appeared to strike a match and then made its way to a cot in which a child was sleeping. After looking at the sleeping child for a moment it turned and glided out of the room. "

more here:
http://www.essortment.com/all/ghostsportarth_rnas.htm

Thanks for the link to the Australian "Haunted" series - I'd never seen that one before or even heard of some of the cases.

That 1960s Poltergeist with hundreds of onlookers certainly was new to me.

....I'm off to the Monte Cristo Homestead in Junee next week, this has also been dubbed "Australia's most haunted house". Apparently the Monte Cristo has up to ten ghosts in residence........

http://www.montecristo.com.au/

Wow! What a spooky place! Thank you for posting about it.

Here is an interesting factoid about Port Arthur.

It was named after Sir George Arthur 1st Baronet of Upper Canada, who was the govenor there.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_George_Arthur,_1st_Baronet

In November 1888, in Whitechapel, his grandson, Sir George Compton Archibald Arthur, 3rd baronet, was arrested on suspicion of being Jack the Ripper.

https://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/non-fiction/cjmorley/9.html

Coincidence? I think not.

Here's a link to the ghost tours:

https://portarthur.org.au/tour/ghost-tour/

And how about this for a picture of the place... certainly looks foreboding :)

port-arthur-ghost-tour-spooky-supernatural2.jpg

Back