• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Parting Glass, Good Night And Joy Be With You All, All the Money That Ever I Had

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
And probably other titles too. I have known this song for over fifty years. It was the last thing sung as my grandparents Sunday night music and a medicinal dram evenings drew to a close.

Its only melancholy was that the evening had finished. Recently I've been hearing it referred to as a suitable lament for funerals, a Very Sad Song which you wouldn't hear any other time. I'm also hearing it called The Passing Glass which may or may not be a connected idea.

How do others know this song? @ramonmercado ? @maximus otter ?

Wikipedia gives lyrics and a history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Parting_Glass

And here it is being used in Assassin's Creed 4 :)

And probably other titles too. I have known this song for over fifty years. It was the last thing sung as my grandparents Sunday night music and a medicinal dram evenings drew to a close.

Its only melancholy was that the evening had finished. Recently I've been hearing it referred to as a suitable lament for funerals, a Very Sad Song which you wouldn't hear any other time. I'm also hearing it called The Passing Glass which may or may not be a connected idea.

Wikipedia gives lyrics and a history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Parting_Glass

And here it is being used in Assassin's Creed 4 :)

I don't remember it from funerals but I first heard it in school.

Those of you of a certain age will remember a BBC radio program called 'Smokey Mountain Jamboree'. I believe it was imported from America.

The last song was always the same, and it's first lines were..

The clock on the wall says it's time to be leaving
each of us going our separate way.

anyone else recall it ?

Those of you of a certain age will remember a BBC radio program called 'Smokey Mountain Jamboree'. I believe it was imported from America.
The last song was always the same, and it's first lines were..
The clock on the wall says it's time to be leaving
each of us going our separate way.
anyone else recall it ?

According to Gifford's The Golden Age of Radio ...

The radio show was actually entitled Smokey Mountain Jubilee. It premiered in 1956, and continued for some years. The featured performers / hosts were a Canadian C&W vocal group called the Maple Leaf Four.

More generally ...

This group apparently had a long history of live appearances and recording during the 1950's and into the 1960's. The radio shows were known to have been distributed on long-playing vinyl, but I'm not sure this was the only means by which they were distributed. I can't find any indication of where the shows were recorded (e.g., USA versus Canada) or whether they were recorded during a live stage show.

As to the song ...

The Maple Leaf Four released a single at least as early as 1959 with a song titled "Clock on the Wall" on one side. This song was also included on the group's 1961 album entitled Smokey Mountain Jamboree (note the difference from the radio show's title). My guess is that this is the same song used for the radio show's closing.

The song was once accessible on YouTube, but the video is not currently available.

Enjoyed Liam O'Maonlai / Shaun Davey rendition on Waking Ned Devine - used to farewell, thank, celebrate and toast the dear departed. It follows on splendidly from the funeral oration track, Lux Eterna.

I listen to it pretty much weekly as I'm a Dubliners tragic. Ronnie's version has the air of a lament. Essential drinking song.

One of the best versions was by folk singer Liam Clancy, and it was sung at his funeral.

Here's a jaunty version I'd not heard before. The a cappella refrain is magnificent but it gets a bit too stadium grand for mine. Doesn't it swell out of proportion though. I suppose it would work well on a massive audience as it's designed to do. High Kings? Never heard of them.

One of the best versions was by folk singer Liam Clancy, and it was sung at his funeral.
Yes. The wiki says the Clancys were the ones to repop it in the mid20C.

No mention of The Dubliners in the wiki apart from the listing. That surprises me. It will Always be my favourite, with Barney's plaintive banjo.

The High Kings are a newish trad group. Been around for ten years or so. My brother is mad about them but I find them a bit soulless and commercial.

I'm very familiar with the song. I think it fits both the end of a gathering and the end of a life.

Recently I've been hearing it referred to as a suitable lament for funerals, a Very Sad Song which you wouldn't hear any other time. I'm also hearing it called The Passing Glass which may or may not be a connected idea.

lt’s a favourite of mine for those melancholy moments. Here’s the version l like best, performed live by Loreena McKennitt:

Fans of The Walking Dead might also have a vague memory of it being sung by Beth in Series 3, Episode 1:

maximus otter

Last edited:
Wikipedia gives lyrics and a history

Most of that page seems plausible but this statement can't be true:

"In 1800-1802, the song was incorrectly attributed to Joseph Haydn by Sigismund von Neukomm (1778-1858), who entered it in the Hoboken catalogue as "Good night and joy be wi' ye. Hob XXXIa 254. Mi mineur",[12] which text has been wrongly attributed to Sir Alexander Boswell (1775-1822)."

As Anthony van Hoboken (1887-1983) did not begin his catalogue until 1934, von Neukomm could not do that! The footnote [12] takes us to the BnF site, which needs translating:

"Scottish song arranged by Sigismund Neukomm for his master Joseph Haydn who sent it under his name to the publisher George Thomson on 1 July 1803. - Falsely attributed by Hoboken to Haydn. - Dates of composition: 1800-1802. - 1st ed. : Edinburgh: G. Thomson, 1805."

Hoboken clearly lists XXXI as consisting of arrangements of traditional songs. It is hardly surprising that the celebrated composer farmed-out some of this relative hack-work to a pupil. If the text was wrongly-attributed in Thomson, Hoboken may have neglected to question it.

Such pedantry apart, there was, I suspect, a Masonic agenda behind the industrial-scale discovery and publication of national airs and poetry at this period. Burns was closely associated with Thomson's project and took offence when payment was offered. Haydn was certainly a Freemason and there are Masonic signs all over Beethoven's work, though no one has ever pinned down Lodge membership.

[url=https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fda.beethoven.de%2Fsixcms%2Fdetail.php%3Fid%3D35399]Beethoven's works for Thomson are examined on this page translated from the German. Nice plates!
:)[/url]

The High Kings are a newish trad group. Been around for ten years or so. My brother is mad about them but I find them a bit soulless and commercial.

Agreed. The Riverdance of celtic folk.

The THK video is an example of its use in popular culture. Which is the purpose of this thread. Any questions? :sdevil:

Back