• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Pascagoula (Mississippi) Abduction (Hickson & Parker; 1973)

About the 12 October Mississippi Press article (earliest known press report) ... It seems clear from the text that this news report was drawn from contact(s) with the Sheriff's Office. Neither Hickson nor Parker are quoted as if the writer had spoken with them directly.

I've seen (and bothered to archive) two news stories run by southern newspapers on the 12th and the 13th - both carrying a UPI byline out of Pascagoula. I presume the Mississippi Press filed their initial story with the wire service.

As of this point we have identified only 3 documented sources preceding the Saturday (13 October) session in which Hickson (alone) was first hypnotized: The sheriff's comments and transcript; the 12 October local newspaper article, and the USAF interview transcript.

The flat-bottomed and domed shape doesn't match Hickson's consistent allusions to the object being egg-shaped.
Hickson does describe this exact flat-bottomed and domed shape - shall locate the source and let you know where exactly.

You are touching on a key aspect - realising there is so much significant evidence in the Keesler interviews, which may be relatively little- known, I have copied the transcription for easier access.

It does include some comments from Hickson abiut the object's appearance.

There is an enormous amount of data available therein.

Last edited:
Reactions: BS3
According to Hickson, then, an oval or oblong shape around 8 feet wide, over 8 feet high and a little longer than wide. Bright, "light blue" light(s) at or towards the front. An opening that appeared towards the front in some manner the men are not quite able to describe. Hickson cannot describe the material other than it "has a glow".

One immediate observation is that like so many of these cases, the 'craft' is not only far too small for whatever seems to take place within it, it seems too small even for all of its 'pilots'.

As for the 'pilots' themselves: "It had features of a human being, but it didn't have any hands. It had pinchers, or something like that"; two arms, two legs; "real pale"; an apparent "eyes, mouth and nose" (said by Huntley referring to something Hickson said earlier - note that the MUFON transcript was 'edited for length'). The nose "a sharp thing that come out about middleways of the eyes"; "things on the side like ears". Parker: "it just looked like a ghost out there. It was like if something came through that wall there".

Last edited:
I'm still interested in the match of Soviet naval personnel and aspects of the 'creatures'; naval infantry below.

b9ue6nxaf9p31.jpg

Interesting: pointy ear things, 'crab claws', a sharp 'nose' between the eyes, wrinkly, probably an 'opening' in the right place to match the mouth if the rebreather was disconnected.

Problematic: not really pale; Hickson later seemed to dispose of the 'eyes' in his descriptions, whereas the goggles here seem prominent enough to surely be noticed; I doubt many Soviet special forces operatives were 5 foot tall; the floating movement.

PASCAGOULA - KEESLER AFB INTERVIEWS ON FRIDAY 12 OCTOBER, 1973

PART 1 OF 2

As we appreciate, events earlier that evening, were reported by Charles Hickson and Calvin Parker to the Sheriff's department in Pascagoula, on the night of Thursday 11 October, 1973 and their pristine witness testimonials, recorded on tape.

Additionally, the following day, further crucial interviews were conducted at Keesler AFB.

A transcript of the Keesler AFB proceedings later became available and a copy, edited for length, was published, in the MUFON UFO Journal, May/June 1984 issue.

As this publication is freely available to download, the following, related extract is presumed to have no copyright issues.

Furthermore, I should expect that MUFON would be in favour of it being highlighted.

The importance of this documentation is not being addressed here - that is a separate matter for discussion.

THE AIR FORCE AND PASCAGOULA
Transcript of Hickson-Parker Interrogation

On October 12, 1973, the day after Charles Hickson and Calvin Parker reported being taken aboard a UFO while fishing in Pascagoula, Mississippi, they were taken to Keesler Air Force Base in nearby Biloxi to be interviewed by Air Force officials. The transcript of that interview has never been released, although Air Force officials had promised to send a copy to the sheriff of Jackson County while refusing to give Hickson or his attorney, Joe Colingo, a copy. Now a copy of that transcript has surfaced, being given to MUFON by Ran Stanford, of Austin, Texas Stanford said he received a copy of the transcript from the father of one of the Air Force officers who took part in the interview.

Following are major portions of the transcript, which was edited down because of its length.

12 October 1973

The following is a transcription of a report made this date by the following individuals:

Mr. Charles Hickson, 2722. Apt. 1. College Villa Apts, Pascagoula, MS.

Mr. Calvin Parker, Jr., Same address.

The report was made to the following personnel:

Lt. Colonel Derrington, Security Police.

Colonel Amdall, Chairman, Department of Medicine.

Colonel Rudolph, Hospital Service.

Colonel Hanson, Services Veterinary.

Lt. Colonel Gibson, Associate Administrator.

Major Winans, Health Physicist.

Captain Hoban, Security Police.

MSgt. Russell, Security Police.

T.E. Huntley, Detective, Jackson County Sheriff's Office, Pascagoula, MS.

Joe Colingo, Attorney, Pascagoula, MS.

Mr. Hickson and Mr. Parker both stated they were employed in Pascagoula by F.B. Walker & Sons.

Two persons who reported sighting an object at approximately the same time were:

Raymond Broadus, Probation and Parole Officer, Pascagoula.

Larry, Larry's Standard Station, Market & Hickway 90. Pascagoula.

Lt. Colonel Derrington: I think the best way is to let them tell it as they recall it and then, on specifics, let them fill in areas for clarification.

Charles Hickson: Yesterday evening -I work at the shipyard and when I come in we decided we would go fishing. And the tide wasn't right and we didn't go out in a boat or anything, we thought we would go down - I don't know whether you are familiar with that area or not where the grain elevator is on the west bank of the river where the shipyard is. So we fished a while there and didn't have any luck and I told Calvin, who was with me, that we'd go on up the river a little further toward the shipyard. I had fished that area in there and loved fishing in there. We hadn't been there very long-we sat on the bank with our spinning reels-when all of a sudden there was a noise. Well what I just heard was a buzzing. I don't know why I turned around. I guess it was to see what it was. It was a blue light a real light, bright blue light. It could! have been purple or something like that. I mean, I would say it was blue at the time I seen the light. At the time I seen the light it just seemed to stop. I would say it was approximately 25 to 30 feet away from us, and I didn't know what to think. I was real frightened. I was scared and I know he (Calvin Parker) was from the appearance he had. It seemed that it didn't have exactly a door. It seemed that one end of it just opened up. Three things came out of it and they didn't touch the ground just floating, you know, slowly, a couple of feet off the ground. And couldn't believe it. I was just -

Derrington: You say three things came out of it. What did these three things appear?

Hickson: At the distance I couldn't tell. I mean, it was just immediately where we were.

Derrington: How large was the item hovering?

Hickson: It wasn't round. It seemed oval shaped and it was approximately 8 it. wide, it was a little longer than that, and it had to be over 8 ft. high. When they approached us-one on each side of my arms but I didn't feel any sensation at all when it touched me And amazingly I was just lifted right off the ground.

Derrington: You were lifted right off the ground?

Hickson: I was so scared I didn't pay too much attention to what they were doing to him- that was with him. And they carried me through the -I don't know what it was- and as we were in this thing anything in there that I know of it I did I didn't have any sensation of touching anything. The whole room like thing seemed to glow. I didn't see anything like light fixtures just a glowing inside. There were no chairs or anything that I seen. And I didn't see any instruments, although I seen things that Ijust can't explain what it was. There was things in there.

Derrington: What time of day was this.

Hickson: It was at night.

Derrington: What time?

Hickson: Well, I don't exactly know what time it was because I don't have a watch. It was quite a while after dark.

Derrington: Quite a while after dark?

Hickson: Yes. I don't know - it resembled an eye-but it was a big thing like a globe-but it just moved all around me

Derrington: This thing, or individual that came after you, you don't have any feel for what it was?

Hickson: Yes, sir, It had features of a human being, but it didn't have any hands. It had pinchers, or something like that.

Derrington: Could you tell if it looked more mechanical than human?

Hickson: No. I just don't know if it looked mechanical more than human. They were real pale looking to me. And 1 do remember specifically that on what I thought was their feet, there were no toes or anything like that. It was just almost round. It just seemed like it might have been just skin tight what they had on. But I didn't see any clothes. I don't know if I was so frightened, but I didn't see any kind of hair or anything on them. One of them made just some sort of sound. It is hard to say what kind of sound he did make, but the other two-I never heard one sound. Inside the vehicle I did not hear any sound.

Derrington: You mentioned earlier the sound when this thing approached.

Hickson: A buzzing sound.

Calvin Parker: Turned around and it was there.

Detective Huntley. You said there were eyes, a mouth, and a nose.

Hickson: Yes, I don't know whether you would call it a nose. It was something sitting on a body and a sharp thing come out about middleways of the eyes and it looked like an opening to me underneath and things on the side like ears, I don't know.

Parker: When they got me and took me toward the ship I passed out but it just looked like a ghost out there. It was like if something came through that wall there.

Hickson: I don't think I could have possibly lost consciousness while was inside of it. I don't think I did. I think I was conscious all the time.

Derrington: How long were you on board?

Hickson: I don't know how long we were on board. There was no sensation of moving or anything I don't know if we moved I don't know. After it was all over we couldn't believe it and knew we couldn't convince people of what we seen and we waited a while before we went to the Sheriff's Department and told them. I wanted to get the military in on it. I didn't want any publicity and i didn't want any news people, but after I thought about it a while I figured that was what I should do.

Derrington: What time would you say elapsed from the beginning until you were released?

Hickson: Oh, it had to be--it's hard to

Derrington: Was it hours or minutes?

Hickson: It had to be an hour or so. It had to be that long, but it seemed like an eternity. As far as I know I was conscious but I had no sensations inside of there- I didn't have any power to move.

Derrington: How were you released?

Hickson. They carried me right back out and I was immediately put on the ground. felt no pain and I felt normal. Then the vehicle was gone.

Derrington: During this time do you recall seeing Mr. Parker?

Hickson: I don't recall seeing him until after I was out.

Derrington: You didn't see him on board?

Hickson: No, sir, I didn't. I don't recall seeing him on board at all. As I said, Iwas scared partly out of my mind.

Derrington: When was the first time you noticed Calvin?

Hickson: When they brought me back out on the ground, I believe, is when I seen him again. He was hysterical and sort of looked like he was paralyzed but he suddenly came to his senses.

Derrington to Parker. Before you passed out, do you recall being lifted nto the vehicle?

Parker: I recall them getting me and just like a big magnet drawing me to it. I wasn't on the ground- I was off the ground. I don't remember a thing I just blacked out. I just stood there like was froze. Then I finally got to where !could move a little bit. It was like a bad dream I wish it had been a bad dream and it would all be over with. I didn't sleep more than three seconds all night.

Derrington: Do you recall them bringing you back out? Parker. No, sir. When I came to the ship went "zzzp" and disappeared.
(End of part 1 of 2)

PASCAGOULA - KEESLER AFB INTERVIEWS ON FRIDAY 12 OCTOBER, 1973

PART 2 OF 2

Derrington: Did you discuss what had happened between you?

Parker: I passed out. I did not remember anything.

Hickson: We discussed what had happened to me. We talked a while trying to decide what to do. We drove. ,to a quick service store and discussed it for almost an hour before we decided to go to the Sheriff's office..

Derrington: Did you have anything to drink any place that someone could have slipped something into your drink?

Hickson: No, sir, because we didn't stop anywhere. I had frozen shrimp that was in the freezer that we were fishing with. We didn't stop anywhere but went straight to the river.

Derrington: What is the relationship between the two of you?

Hickson: He is just a friend. His father and myself back home were real good friends, almost like brothers, and he's been down a couple of weeks now working at the same place that I work...

Derrington: Did you hear any other sounds beside this buzzing sound that you mentioned earlier?

Hickson: The only sound that I heard was one of the things made some type of noise. It wasn't anything that I could distinguish or understand.

Parker: It was just a "mmm".

Derrington: Any dust or....

Hickson: No, sir. I didn't see any dust or anything.

Parker: I don't know how to explain it. It was just as still like, and everything, and then I heard a 'zzzp' just like that, and looked around and blue lights coming, and I paralyzed right there. You know, just like if you walk outside and step on a rattlesnake. Think how you feel. That is just how I felt. I would rather it had been a rattlesnake.

Derrington: No depressions in the area at all after this?

Hickson: No, sir.

Parker: Something else. The craft-it never did set down on the ground itself. It stayed approximately two feet from it.

Hickson: It was off the ground.

Parker: Well, really, they didn't nothing touch it - the ground....

Derrington: No exhaust or anything?

Hickson: I didn't see it. If it was I didn't see it. But as I said, I was quite scared.

Derrington: No attempt to your knowledge to communicate with you in any way?

Hickson: Only unless it was - I don't think it was trying to communicate with us. I think I don't know-it might have been communicating with the others but I didn't hear any...

Parker: They didn't act like they meant any harm to us.

Hickson: They didn't harm me I know, that I know of.

Parker: They did me physically right now but, you know, not physically but mentally it is about to tear me up.

Derrington: What about curiosity. Did there appear to be any unusual curiosity about the objects?

Hickson: It seemed to me that they knew what they were doing, but they was- I don't know what they were trying to find out but they were trying to find out something about us because you know what they done to me, and I don't know what they were doing Other than that, it seemed that they knew what they were doing.

Derrington: Is this the first experience of this nature that you have had? Hickson: Yes, sir. This is the first I have ever had of that nature.

Derrington: Prior to this, have you read or heard about unidentified flying objects?

Hickson: Oh yes. I've read and I've heard. Yes, sir.

Parker Not too long ago - now it hadn't been how long? In the apartments?

Hickson: Yeah. Not too long ago in Gautier there was one of these.

Parker: And there was at least 13 or 14 witnesses.

Hickson: A dozen families was watching it.

Derrington: But this is the first time you have seen anything like this?

Hickson: Like that, yes, sir.

Derrington: You have never seen anything in the past at a distance that you thought -

Hickson: A while back, there was a dozen families out there that said it could have been a flying object. You know-I don't know if it was a flying object or not.

Derrington: You saw something though? Parker: Yes, sir. There was about 13 more that did.

Hickson: But it was what they what we were looking at that night was a glow. It was a real red glowing thing. It could have been a pier light, I guess or something like that. But I've never had any experiences with other things close to something like that.

Derrington: Now, back to the description of the object. You said about 8 feet in diameter and about -

Hickson: It's a rough guess. mean, I'd say that there wasn't enough of an area in there that they would have 100 many things couldn't have been in there.

Derrington: No protrusion anything similar to a wing of an aircraft?

Hickson: No, sir. didn't see anything.

Parker: I could sketch a picture out of the craft itself-you know, just on the outside. The inside can't, now.

Hickson: It wasn't round, it was more or less oblong, or something like that. It wasn't completely round.

Derrington: Did you ever hear any motor sounds?

Hickson: Nothing but just the little buzzing is all that I heard.

Derrington: Did it buzz all of the time or just when it moved?

Hickson: No, sir. When it moved. Inside of it I didn't hear any sound from the vehicle or whatever it was. I didn't hear any sound from it while I was in there.

Derrington: About how tall were these things?

Hickson: Well, it's hard to tell about everything I had to it was tall enough that when we went in the opening we wasn't touching anything.

Derrington: I mean the individuals.

Hickson: I'd say somewhere approximately 5 feet, or something near that

Parker: Of course you know they wasn't on the ground so that made them taller than us. You know-as far as getting out walking across, the ground.

Hickson: When you are that frightened it's hard to give a good description of something.

Derrington: You talked about them moving. Did they move with leg motion or -

Parker: Drited.

Hickson Just flying.

Parker: Like it wasn't no gravity around.

Hickson: I didn't see any motion of their legs but I know they had motion with what I guess was arms-I guess it was arms because they moved them whenever they lifted me.

Parker: And it was like a crawfish or crab.

Derrington: Was anything strapped on this, like a sort of pack or anything?

Hickson: didn't see anything like that. Just the thing, is all.

Derrington: Just the body frame of the individual and it was either unclothed or clothed with something very tight fitting?

Hickson: Yes.

Derrington: Did this creature have two arms and two legs, or what seemed to be?

Hickson: It seemed to be two of each one. Yes, sir.

Parker: But it wasn't like our arms and l legs. You know, well it was on the same basic manner as an arm and leg but it wasn't physically looking the same.

Huntley: believe you told me that it ooked more like a crab claw.

Parker: Yes sir.

Hickson: The guy had claw like things. It wasn't fingers like our fingers.

Derrington: Were there any windows in the craft?

Hickson: Couldn't see anything from inside of it. I don't know.

Derrington. Did it go straight up?

Parker: No sir. It just disappeared... "zzzp" and it just disappeared.

Hickson: And really, I don't know how it got there.

Major Winans: Did it seem to be plastic, or transparent, or was it sold looking material?

Hickson: It had a glow and I couldn't tell whether it was sold or transparent. I couldn't give you no details of that at all because I don't know.

Winans: Was it glowing from the inside or from the outside?

Hickson: It was glowing-it was bluish like on the outside and on the inside it was just like you know, like light.

Winans: Just like in this room here with the fluorescent color? Same color?

Hickson: Yes, only there was no bulbs, globes, or anything.

Winans Did you feel the same temperature, or did you feel warm?

Hickson: didn't have any sensation any feeling at all.

Amdall: Did you feel like you could have moved?

Hickson: I couldn't move.

Derrington: What went on while you were inside?

Hickson: Well, then-as I said before, they had something-I still say an eye -which I know it wasn't an eye-but, it just circulated around-around by me-and they could do me any way they wanted to lay me back, or sideways.

Derrington: This eye that was under you you were under constant observation by this eye while you were on the board?

Hickson: Yes. I say an eye. I don't mean it in that respect. Well, when something is looking at me like that! guess you would figure you would have to say it's some kind of an eye. It didn't look like a camera or anything like that.

Huntley: Now when you were stretched out I believe you said you were stretched out Right?

Hickson: At one time, yes, sir.

Huntley: Did you say -- didn't you tell us that they moved the light over you back and forth and all over your body?

Hickson: The thing moved all back over me and all around me.

Derrington: Did it move by itself?

Hickson: It moved by itself to the best I can remember. I was so darned scared till I don't really know whether I lost consciousness. I don't think I did. I don't think I lost consciousness. I think! was conscious all the time-I believe! was that I was in there.

Winans: Did the projector have any sort of an arm to it?

Hickson: don't know. It didn't seem to be attached to anything. It could have been. I don't know.

Derrington: When you regained consciousness, where did you go first After you left this area?

Hickson: Well, we went over across we live in Gautier. We stopped over there at the-close to the Lil General Curb Market and talked about it a long time again.

Derrington: What time was this now?

Hickson: Oh, this must have been aw heck, it was around 10 or 11 o'clock. or something like that.

Huntley: They came into the Sheriff's office at, I believe, 11:18...

Amdall: Have either of you been on any medication or any kind of drugs?

Hickson: No, sir.

Parker: No, sir, I haven't.

Derrington: What about alcohol?

Parker: I don't drink.

Hickson: Well take a drink occasionally and after that happened last night after I left the Sheriff's Department, I got home and leven took a drink to try to relax and it didn't even relax me. I drink occasionally, yes.

Derrington: But you had had nothing to drink prior to this? Hickson: No, sir.

Winans: How did you get that mark on the tip of your little finger?

Hickson: This is a blister, you know from some hot steel. No, it is not related to this at all.

Huntley: Calvin had a couple of little small scratches on this right arm. When he mentioned something about a claw and I noticed that he said he grabbed him by both arms and I noticed that both arms have a little scratch.

Hickson: Well, I couldn't find any scratches at all on me. There's no marks at all that I didn't find any on me at all.

Parker: There wasn't no feeling to the thing. You just couldn't feel nothing. It's a wonder I didn't hurt myself when I came through this.

Attorney Colingo: I can say this. Not this particular story, but at the same time, this object was sighted by others who are as critical or-well by officers. One man was Broadus. He related the story again this morning at the police station where they were going down the highway and passed the vicinity where they were. You can see it from the highway there just across the bridge. They saw the object for three minutes And the times correspond.

Huntley: And their description and everything They even described the blue lights and everything.

Hanson: Was it a dark blue light or a light blue light?

Hickson: It was just a glowing...I don't know.

Colonel Rudolph: Had they had the opportunity to hear the tape before reporting this?

Huntley: Yes.

Colingo: Oh, they have heard it now. Do you mean did they know?

Huntley: Yes. The tape - I took the tape, or they did, last night. I played it back...

Rudolph: Before they gave their report?

Colingo: Did Broadus come and report this sighting and then these men?

Huntley: I don't remember now. I would have to check with the chief on that. But I do know that they heard the tape that we took last night-or they took last night.

Rudolph: This was after they had been in to tell their story?

Huntley: Right. Then that is when they said, "Well, you know that is funny because we saw the same thing. We saw a blue light." In fact Mr. Broadus is a Christian man and he said he'd been over to Gautier somewhere to church.

Colingo: Mr. Broadus says he saw it -he saw it. I mean, he is that type of fellow. Now this other fellow-I don't know who you are talking about...

Colingo: What did he do? Call in to the police station last night or something? Or report seeing some object? Or what?

Huntley: No, you are talking about Larry. He owns a Standard station. Evidently- the chief passed this on to me this morning-that Larry saw the same thing. Said he walked out on his porch and he looked up at the sky and...

Colingo: And that was unrelated to this? He just apparently reported it also to the Sheriff?

Huntley: Right.

Rudolph: That was what I was asking Did these people report the incident.

Huntley: Right. They were unrelated as far as I know.
(End of part 2 of 2)

I'm still interested in the match of Soviet naval personnel and aspects of the 'creatures....
Compared to the details given in both interviews, at the Sheriff's department and Keesler AFB... there really isn't any comparison with a clandestine special forces operation.

We can now surely rule this out?

The damned problem is that we have a 'Catch 22" situation?

Both witnesses, obviously Hickson especially, give an account of a truly enigmatic occurance.

However, this depicts an event where Parker was unconscious throughout the kidnap/abduction, examination/study element and Hickson recalls being in a surreal state of mind, during this phase, statedly unsure about key aspects.

Yes, it's evidence, however, given these circumstances, it isn't.

Hickson's recall is compromised by the fact he has been immobilised by drugs/whatever and how do we distinguish between his memories being a reality or a drug induced fantasy?

Nonetheless....

No, in this instance, how can there be a 'however'...?

I was going to emphasise that, nonetheless, we do have the conscious recollection of both, as regards the entities first appearance, being captured by them and then being 'floated' onto the craft/whatever.

Do we though? How certain can we be that isn't a retrospective 'false memory'?

Yet... something fundamentally traumatic does seem to have occurred?

One remains eternally optimistic, there are still clues out there. :)

It's great being able to spend some time here - the 'fount of all knowledge' - in search of same.

About the UFO / object itself ... I've collated the specific claims appearing in the various documents collected to date and generally representing the record(s) generated from the time of the incident up through its early dissemination in newspapers and dedicated UFO publications. This corpus is a representative sample of both the key pre-hypnosis records and derivatives up through the end of calendar 1973. Some of the UFO journal items were not actually issued until very early in 1974.

The following listings are arranged in chronological order of recording / issuance. This compilation has been subdivided into 4 chunks dedicated to the UFO's / object's arrival, position / distance relative to witnesses, appearance, and departure.

Here's the first segment, covering claims relating to the object's arrival ...

EARLY DOCUMENTATION: OBJECT'S ARRIVAL

SHERIFF'S OFFICE INTERVIEW: NIGHT OF 11 / 12 OCTOBER 1973

ARRIVAL:
"It's a blue light. It circled a bit"
"It wasn't too close. But ft wasn't no two-three miles away. It was pretty close."
"Then in just a little while, it come right down above the bayou. You know, about two- three feet above the ground."

=====================
KEESLER AFB INTERVIEW: 12 OCTOBER 1973

ARRIVAL:
"We hadn't been there very long ... when all of a sudden there was a noise. Well what I just heard was a buzzing. I don't know why I turned around. I guess it was to see what it was. It was a blue light — a real light, bright blue light. It could have been purple or something like that. I mean, I would say it was blue at the time I seen the light."

"Hickson: A buzzing sound."

Calvin Parker: Turned around and it was there.

Parker: It was just as still like, and everything, and then I heard a 'zzzp' just like that, and looked around and blue lights coming, and I paralyzed right there.

Hickson: And really, I don't know how it got there.

=====================
MISSISSIPPI PRESS REGISTER: 12 OCTOBER 1973

ARRIVAL:
"... landed just above the water about 40 feet away."

=====================
GAFFNEY (SC) LEDGER: 12 OCTOBER 1973 (UPI)

ARRIVAL:
"The sheriff's deputy ... said they told him they were fishing from an old pier ... when they observed the UFO emitting a blue haze. He said they reported the UFO appeared to be about two [miles] away when first sighted but continued to move toward them."

=====================
KINGSPORT (TN) NEWS: 13 OCTOBER 1973 (UPI)

ARRIVAL:
"they noticed a strange craft about two miles away emitting a bluish haze"
"it moved closer and then appeared to hover about three or four feet above the water"

=====================
MISSISSIPPI PRESS REGISTER: 19 OCTOBER 1973

ARRIVAL:
"I turned to get some more bait, when I head a zipping sound."
"I turned around and saw a spacecraft with bright, flashing, blue-looking lights."
"It came upon us in a split second ..."

=====================
BERKELEY DAILY GAZETTE; 19 NOVEMBER 1973
NOTE: This is essentially a clone of the 19 October Mississippi Press Register article.

ARRIVAL:
"I turned to get some more bait, when I head a ripping sound."
"I turned around and saw a spacecraft with bright, flashing, blue-looking lights."

=====================
CLARION-LEDGER (JACKSON MS): 22 OCTOBER 1973

ARRIVAL:
"they were fishing ... when they heard a zipping noise. Hovering behind them was an oval-shaped ... craft."
" ... they were facing the water when they heard a noise. Turning around, they saw the craft hovering about a foot off the ground."

=====================
APRO BULLETIN V22 NO 2 (SEPT / OCT 1973; ISSUED LATE '73 OR EARLY '74)
HARDER'S REPORT

ARRIVAL:
" ... a flying object descended about 40 feet behind them in an open area. ... The object did not exactly land but came to rest about 2 feet off the ground."

=====================
FLYING SAUCER REVIEW (FSR): V 19 NO. 6 (NOV - DEC 1973; Issued in early 1974)
NOTE: This article apparently is a clone of the Berkeley article of November 1973.

ARRIVAL:
"I turned to get some more bait, when I head a zipping sound."

Here's the second segment - covering the object's positioning relative to the witnesses once it "landed."

EARLY DOCUMENTATION: OBJECT'S POSITION / DISTANCE

POSITION / DISTANCE:
"Twenty-five, thirty yards. But it might have been thirty-five, forty yards."

"It didn't hit the ground. It hovered."

=====================

POSITION / DISTANCE:
"At the time I seen the light it just seemed to stop. I would say it was approximately 25 to 30 feet away from us ..."

Parker: Something else. The craft —it never did set down on the ground itself. It stayed approximately two feet from it.

Hickson: It was off the ground.

=====================

POSITION / DISTANCE:
"... landed just above the water about 40 feet away."

=====================

POSITION / DISTANCE:
"It hovered about three feet off the ground ..."

=====================

POSITION / DISTANCE:
"appeared to hover about three or four feet above the water"

=====================

POSITION / DISTANCE:
"It just hovered without touching the ground."

=====================
NOTE: This is essentially a clone of the 19 October Mississippi Press Register article.

POSITION / DISTANCE:

=====================

POSITION / DISTANCE:
" ... hovering about a foot off the ground."

=====================
HARDER'S REPORT

POSITION / DISTANCE:
" ... about 40 feet behind them in an open area."
" ... about 2 feet off the ground."

=====================
NOTE: This article apparently is a clone of the Berkeley article of November 1973.

POSITION / DISTANCE:

Here's the third segment - covering the object's appearance (configuration; shape; size; etc.).

EARLY DOCUMENTATION: OBJECT'S APPEARANCE

APPEARANCE:
"It was about eight feet tall. It wasn't round. It was oblong, sort of oblong, and the opening it had was at one end of it.
The only lights I seen on the outside was that blue light. "

"And all of a sudden-right in the end of it-this opening was laid up there"

CALVIN: You see how that damn door come right up?
CHARLIE: I don't know how it opened, son. I don't know.
CALVIN: It just laid up and just like that those son' bitches-just like that they come out.

=====================

APPEARANCE:
"It seemed that it didn't have exactly a door. It seemed that one end of it just opened up."

"It wasn't round. It seemed oval shaped and it was approximately 8 ft. wide, it was a little longer than that, and it had to be over 8 ft. high."

Derrington: Now,' back to , the description of the object. You said about 8 feet in diameter and about —
Hickson: It's a rough guess. I mean, I'd say that there wasn't enough of an area in there that they would have — too many things couldn't have been in there.

Derrington: No protrusion or anything similar to a wing of an aircraft?
Hickson: No, sir. I didn't see anything.
Parker: I could sketch a picture out of the craft itself — you know, just on the outside.
Hickson: It wasn't round, it was more or less oblong, or something like that. It wasn't completely round.

Derrington: Did you ever hear any motor sounds?
Hickson: Nothing but just the little buzzing is all that I heard.

Derrington: Did it buzz all of the time or just when it moved?
Hickson: No, sir. When it moved.

Derrington: No exhaust or anything?
Hickson:I didn't see it. If it was I didn't see it.

Derrington: Were there any windows in the craft?
Hickson: I couldn't see anything from inside of it. I don't know...

Major Winans: Did it seem to be plastic, or transparent, or was it solid looking material?
Hickson: It had a glow and I couldn't tell whether it was solid or transparent. I couldn't give you no details of that at all ...

Winans: Was it glowing from the inside or from the outside?
Hickson: It was glowing — it was bluish like on the outside ...

Hanson: Was it a dark blue light or a light blue light?
Hickson: It was just a glowing...! don't know.

=====================

APPEARANCE:
"hovering egg-shaped spacecraft"
"oblong, or egg-shaped, with a pulsating blue light"
"an opening in the front of the ship"

=====================

APPEARANCE:
"Mathis [sheriff's deputy] said the men were so "scared" they couldn't describe the UFO other than to say it was not round. "They couldn't even know [whether] it had any lights or not. They only said it was emitting a blue haze." "

=====================

APPEARANCE:
"The sheriff said the "spacecraft" was described as fish shaped, about 10 feet square with an eight-feet ceiling."

=====================

APPEARANCE:
"It seemed to open up, but there really wasn't a door there at all."
"The craft, which was sort of rounded or oval, was about 8-10 feet wide and about 8 feet high."

=====================

APPEARANCE:
"The craft, which was sort of rounded or oval, was about 8 to 10 feet wide and about 8 feet high."

=====================

APPEARANCE:
"... an oval-shaped, bluish-gray craft with revolving blue lights."
" ... the front of the craft opened ..."

=====================
HARDER'S REPORT

APPEARANCE:
"They later described it as 16-18 feet long with a “trap door” in the~back out of which three “creatures” emerged."

=====================

APPEARANCE:
"The craft, which was sort of rounded or oval, was about 8 to 10 feet wide and about 8 feet high."

Last edited:
Here's the third segment - covering the object's departure.

EARLY DOCUMENTATION: OBJECT'S DEPARTURE

DEPARTURE:
"There was a buzzin' sound, and it was gone."

=====================

DEPARTURE:
Hickson: They carried me right back out and I was immediately put on the ground. ... Then the vehicle was gone.

Parker: When I came to the ship went "zzzp" and disappeared.

Derrington: Did it go straight up?
Parker: No sir. It just disappeared ... "zzzp" and it just disappeared.

=====================

DEPARTURE: (NOTHING NOTED / MENTIONED)

=====================

=====================

=====================

DEPARTURE:
" ... it left with a zip. It was gone in a half second."

=====================

DEPARTURE:
" ... it left with a zip. It was gone in a half second."

=====================

=====================
HARDER'S REPORT

DEPARTURE:
"Neither Hickson nor Parker saw the object leave."

=====================

DEPARTURE:
" ... it left with a zip. It was gone in half a second."

About the UFO / object itself ... I've collated the specific claims appearing in the various documents collected to date....
Awesome!!!

I was intending to do exactly this - just not had the time.

Looking forward to reading your summation.

My take on it, before doing so, is that we have no UFO landing at all.

They suddenly noticed the object situated behind them.

It's what happened next, which is the crux of our case - essentialy an opening reportedly appearing, the intense blue light and of paramount significance, the entities being present *almost immediately thereafter*.

Shall first go make a coffee.... (shush...)

Got some related grief from my daughter the other night, when she phoned for a chat, late on and I got busted.

'I'm having difficulty getting to sleep...'.

'Do I just hear you stirring a cup of coffee....'? :mad:

More about the object itself ...

The early descriptions of the object (at face value) don't correlate all that well with later versions. More specifically, the verbal / textual descriptions don't clearly align with the scant graphic evidence. Hickson took the lead in the early interviews and indicated the object was rounded in some sense / to some extent, but he resisted calling it "round." I take this to mean he couldn't claim it was circular in form.

To the extent Hickson described the shape he called it "oblong" or "oval." The common "egg-shaped" attribution that proliferated later seems to have originated with the 12 October Mississippi Press Register article, which could only have been based on comments from the sheriff's staff.

I'm struck by the fact none of the early interviewers seem to have asked Hickson and / or Parker to illustrate what they'd seen with a sketch.

This notion of illustration also relates to one of the oddest things in the original interviews conducted by the authorities. Beyond the cops / military folks failing to suggest a drawing, they seemingly ignored an offer to produce a sketch. Parker is quoted as offering to draw a sketch during the Keesler AFB interview, but the transcript provides zero evidence his offer was even acknowledged. This is all the more confusing given the fact Parker otherwise remained so passive and non-participatory in these interviews. A competent investigative interviewer would / should have jumped at the opportunity to draw Calvin into the conversation.

Nonetheless ... As I've noted earlier, Parker did generate a sketch of the object sometime during this early period of a few months following the encounter. We know this because the newspaper artist's drawing included in the UFO's Over Mississippi booklet:

index.php

... is explicitly captioned to indicate it's based on an original drawing by Calvin.

I've been unable to locate any depiction of the Parker drawing that served as the basis for this 1973 / early 1974 newspaper figure.

However, I have located another drawing attributed to Parker in 1975, posted on a 2015 Mississippi Library Commission webpage:

ParkerUFOSketch-7504-AsPosted.jpg
The relevant text states:
The craft was shaped like a football with two windows at one end.
SOURCE: http://mlcref.blogspot.com/2015/10/ufo-sighting-in-pascagoula-mississippi.html

If Calvin's 1973 drawing matched this 1975 one, I can't figure out how the newspaper artist managed to mutate it into a profile more akin to a passenger car.

Conversely ... If the newspaper rendering is faithful to Calvin's 1973 sketch, I wonder how his memory of the object's shape changed so radically in the space of circa 1.5 years.

Last edited:
Here are some comments about my impressions drawn from the evidence to date - most particularly the early documents cited above ...

There's surprisingly little substantive (and consistent and / or coherent) data about the object in all these accounts. The documented narratives (overall) spend more time addressing, and provide more details about, the interactions between the witnesses and the mysterious visitors than describing the object itself.

The two aspects (of the four I used as sorting categories) for which there is the least coherent data are the arrival and departure. In particular, the departure is close to being anybody's guess.

The estimated distances between the witnesses and the object vary quite a bit. One discrepancy involves the difference between 25-30 feet versus 25-30 yards.

I'm struck by the involvement of a "blue haze" surrounding the object(s) originally reported - the blue light seen at a distance in the sky early on, and the object hovering at ground level later. Mention of this blue haze disappears from the narrative early in the timeline. I suspect a hazy envelope around the object would help to explain my next point ...

i'm struck by Hickson's inability to clearly describe the shape, configuration, and features of the object. Neither Hickson nor Parker had a clear impression of the opening or means by which the humanoid figures exited the object, drew the witnesses into the object, and eventually transported them back outside. Some of their comments cite a "door" that they can't seem to clearly describe. Some comments suggest an entire end or section of the object opened or otherwise permitted passage.

One account attributes the mystery opening to the object's "front", whereas at least one other account states it was on the object's "back" (back side?).

There's a single allusion to the mystery opening being a "trap door", which (at least in American parlance) suggests the opening was on the underside rather than the end or side of the object.

The claims about the object's size are more precise and consistent than the claims about its form or features. After this early phase the alleged dimensions would shift quite a bit (usually toward larger estimates).

If the object was surrounded by a blue haze, one must wonder whether the object had a clearly defined form in the first place. Were they only able to discern a semi-amorphous blob?

Blue haze might help explain why Hickson couldn't answer whether the object was opaque versus translucent, nor give a clear description of the manner in which it glowed.

The object descriptions (such as they are) sometimes mention lights "flashing" or "pulsating." Some of Hickson's comments suggest there were multiple light sources that shifted the overall illumination during the encounter.

At no point does Hickson describe (to the extent he ever describes anything ... ) the object as having a form similar to the two versions of Calvin's drawing(s) shown above.

There's no consistent or coherent explanation for the two round features shown in the Parker renderings. Hickson evaded the question of windows by saying he couldn't see out of the object when he was inside. The text associated with the 1975 Parker sketch claims the two circular features are windows. Some scattered comments suggest these features represent the lights insinuated (sometimes) to have been carried / employed by the object.

I'm not confident the bright blue(-ish) light seen aloft at a distance (by these witnesses and allegedly multiple others in the area) and the object that "landed" were one and the same. There's no account that claims Hickson and Parker tracked (however intermittently) the distant blue lights from their initial position aloft to the object's landing place. Harder wrote that the object "descended" to its ground-level location, but I suspect he may well have been projecting a presumed landing of a vehicle onto the situation Hickson and Parker were describing.

Last edited:
I'm still interested in the match of Soviet naval personnel and aspects of the 'creatures'; naval infantry below.

View attachment 57311

Interesting: pointy ear things, 'crab claws', a sharp 'nose' between the eyes, wrinkly, probably an 'opening' in the right place to match the mouth if the rebreather was disconnected.

Problematic: not really pale; Hickson later seemed to dispose of the 'eyes' in his descriptions, whereas the goggles here seem prominent enough to surely be noticed; I doubt many Soviet special forces operatives were 5 foot tall; the floating movement.

baltiysk-baltic-fleet-museum-navy-diver-02.jpg

“Description: Post war suit of Soviet deep sea diver part of a submarine crew”

http://www.comtourist.com/history/baltics/photos-baltiysk/page/5/

7c58c36715dde7c9c503caaa8c553f2c.jpg

Pinterest: “Russian diving suit.”

maximus otter

I do think these Russian submariners' drysuits are the closest thing I've seen to the description of the 'creatures' - especially those gloves - if we overlook a few key points.

I suppose there is also some general, though less close, resemblance to US chemical protection suits, bearing in mind Nick Redfern's theory that this was an illicit test of an incapacitating agent (possibly 'BZ'). Note this could have been delivered environmentally, so potentially the witnesses were already 'going under' by the time they saw anything.

One point that these early interviews show is that the entities were definitely said to have two legs, whereas the popular culture representation of them often has a single leg (as with the first post in this thread: "the creatures appeared to have one leg"). I wonder if all this stems from a misinterpretation by one author of Hickson's idiomatic phrasing in one of the early interviews, where he talks about "a...leg": however he's not saying the creature had one leg, he's just talking about a quality of the leg/s generally.

Last edited:
To clarify, the reason I'm coming back to divers, particularly, is that the supposed 'corroborating witness' Maria Blair claims that she saw an entity in the water from the dock opposite the Schaupeter yard. Interestingly the first interviews with her that I can find say that at the time she thought she had seen divers, and only revised her opinion after reading about Hickson and Parker's experience - eg in the Clarion Ledger here.

Note also that in the above article Parker is now describing the craft as "80 feet" long, very different to those early interviews.

Last edited:
One last thing from the Keesler AFB interview that may be significant - it seems that both men were familiar with the idea of UFOs: Hickson had read about them and Parker, at least, appears to have seen one:

Derrington: Prior to this, have you read or heard about unidentified flying objects?

Hickson: Oh yes. I've read and I've heard. Yes, sir.

Parker Not too long ago - now it hadn't been how long? In the apartments?

Hickson: Yeah. Not too long ago in Gautier there was one of these.

Parker: And there was at least 13 or 14 witnesses.

Hickson: A dozen families was watching it.

Derrington: But this is the first time you have seen anything like this?

Hickson: Like that, yes, sir.

Derrington: You have never seen anything in the past at a distance that you thought -

Hickson: A while back, there was a dozen families out there that said it could have been a flying object. You know-I don't know if it was a flying object or not.

Derrington: You saw something though? Parker: Yes, sir. There was about 13 more that did.

Hickson: But it was what they what we were looking at that night was a glow. It was a real red glowing thing. It could have been a pier light, I guess or something like that. But I've never had any experiences with other things close to something like that.

baltiysk-baltic-fleet-museum-navy-diver-02.jpg

“Description: Post war suit of Soviet deep sea diver part of a submarine crew”

http://www.comtourist.com/history/baltics/photos-baltiysk/page/5/

7c58c36715dde7c9c503caaa8c553f2c.jpg

Pinterest: “Russian diving suit.”

maximus otter
Soviet submarines were notorious for incursions into Swedish waters:

How to recognise a foreign submarine

“In the early 1980s, at the height of the Cold War, there were a series of incidents involving the incursion of Soviet submarines into Swedish territorial waters. In the autumn of 1980, for instance, a Swedish marine tugboat spotted the conning tower of a submarine outside Uto in the Stockholm archipelago leading to the dispatch of submarine-hunting helicopters and a prolonged submarine”

https://www.immunology.org/leaflet-describing-how-recognise-foreign-submarine-1980s

Soviet submarines were notorious for incursions into Swedish waters:

How to recognise a foreign submarine

“In the early 1980s, at the height of the Cold War, there were a series of incidents involving the incursion of Soviet submarines into Swedish territorial waters. In the autumn of 1980, for instance, a Swedish marine tugboat spotted the conning tower of a submarine outside Uto in the Stockholm archipelago leading to the dispatch of submarine-hunting helicopters and a prolonged submarine”

https://www.immunology.org/leaflet-describing-how-recognise-foreign-submarine-1980s

From the late 1960s onwards there were a number of visits by Soviet 'task forces' to the Gulf of Mexico - sometimes visiting Cuban ports - supposedly including submarine operations off the Texas and Louisiana coasts.

Actually landing people near a US port (presumably linking up with ground based intelligence people) would be extremely audacious, but plausible.

Does anyone know where the US stored their ‘borrowed’ Soviet submarine? I imagine there were Soviet diving suits inside

It's fascinating to compare the two earliest sketches (as far as I'm aware) of the creatures to later interpretations of them.

The best known one is by Jim Flynt, a superintendent at the Walker yard:

Pascagoula-alien.jpg

An odd but nevertheless quite human looking creature in outline. Those 'ears' are quite close to the flappy things seen on some iterations of the Soviet submariners' equipment.

And then Tommy Blann, who actually interviewed the men during the Keesler visit - so very early on. Here we have the big eyes that later got 'edited out', plus very mechanical looking 'pincers':

Screenshot_20220329-233404.jpg

Later on the 'creatures' lose their eyes, gain even longer arms, become more obviously alien / robotic / whatever (note also the 'craft' is now 30ft long):

Screen-Shot-2018-09-05-at-2.53.18-PM.png

In some depictions they become monopeds, while in others the artist just goes to town generally into full-on 'attack of the space mummies' territory. They've certainly caught people's imaginations.

unnamed-(1).jpg

Attachments

• aa3580d32e0456d55b349d5338d4066b.jpg
    aa3580d32e0456d55b349d5338d4066b.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Later on the 'creatures' lose their eyes, gain even longer arms, become more obviously alien / robotic / whatever (note also the 'craft' is now 30ft long):

In some depictions they become monopeds, while in others the artist just goes to town generally into full-on 'attack of the space mummies' territory. They've certainly caught people's imaginations.

Notice that the last 2 images you posted show the UFO / object as being ovoid with pointed ends (like an American football) and the two circular elements at one end - clearly derived from Parker's description and sketch(es).

The last of the two images is a good pulp fiction rendering that is relatively recent. I'm still not sure of its original source. In spite of the obvious errors in portraying the mystery visitors' height and limb articulation this is one of my favorite renditions. Another descriptive error is showing the object hovering over the water out front of the pier rather than over land or marsh behind it.

The first of the two (the "U.F.O.R.I.C. Illustration") is one for which I've tried to track down the origin, but consistently failed. I've seen this one included in newspaper and other articles, credited to Philip Mantle. However, I've not been able to locate any linkage between this image and Mantle. This one interests me because it alludes to the blue haze that disappeared from the incident / object descriptions early on.

Project Azorian was 1974 I thought?

The sub sank in 1968, and the USN confirmed and photographed the wreck's location some months later. The attempted recovery occurred in 1974. The special ship Glomar Explorer had been built in Philadelphia during 1971 / 1972 and formally went into service (presumably already in the Pacific) in summer 1973.

Notice that the last 2 images you posted show the UFO / object as being ovoid with pointed ends (like an American football) and the two circular elements at one end - clearly derived from Parker's description and sketch(es).

The last of the two images is a good pulp fiction rendering that is relatively recent. I'm still not sure of its original source. In spite of the obvious errors in portraying the mystery visitors' height and limb articulation this is one of my favorite renditions. Another descriptive error is showing the object hovering over the water out front of the pier rather than over land or marsh behind it.

The first of the two (the "U.F.O.R.I.C. Illustration") is one for which I've tried to track down the origin, but consistently failed. I've seen this one included in newspaper and other articles, credited to Philip Mantle. However, I've not been able to locate any linkage between this image and Mantle. This one interests me because it alludes to the blue haze that disappeared from the incident / object descriptions early on.

The "UFORIC" drawing is probably by the ufologist Matthew Graeber - he set UFORIC up and I've seen his name attached to other drawings in a similar style.

Project Azorian was 1974 I thought?
You are correct, I am one year out. But it is an example of the covert goings-on during the Cold War and which ought to be taken into account when reviewing this case.

Last edited:
The "UFORIC" drawing is probably by the ufologist Matthew Graeber - he set UFORIC up and I've seen his name attached to other drawings in a similar style.

Thanks ... It does appear that Graeber created a number of such summary illustrations for various cases. He founded UFORIC, which was operating from 1972 to 1980 (hence the lack of online resources / archives).
UFO Report and Information Center (UFORIC)
Not to be confused with the U.F.O. Research Institute of Canada (UFORIC)

The UFO Report and Information Center was a Philadelphia-based non-profit organisation dedicated to the study of unidentified flying objects, in particular focused on reports originating in the Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware tri-state area.

Abbreviation UFORIC
Formation 1972
Dissolution 1980
Legal status defunct
Purpose/focus Ufology
Headquarters Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Director Matthew Graeber
SOURCE: https://hatch.kookscience.com/wiki/UFO_Report_and_Information_Center_(UFORIC)

Graeber died in 2015:
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/timesherald/name/matthew-graeber-obituary?id=17970654

Back