• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Cosjobs' (Costumed Characters: Mascots; Theme Parks, Etc.)

I think Id agree that the kid wacked by Tigger is arsing about with Tigger's suit. Probably trying to unzip it or something. Deserved a good slap for being an annoying little chav.
:wow: :lol:

witchflame

Stormkhan said:
Then don't do the job. The employer can always find other, more naive, desperate people willing to dress up in a boiling-hot costume and dance until they puke for next-to-no money. When they run out of said desperate people, they might change their policy on working conditions.

That is if they run out of desperate people. Can you see my cyncism from there, huh?
Sorry Stormy, only just picked up on this...
I'd gone to Gullivers World with the intention of working on the rides, but my pony tail was considered unsuitable for public viewing, hence the Nelly gig. They were succesfully sued for sexual discrimination a year or so later.

Stormy, it's easy to say 'don't do the job'. People have to work, and if that's all there is locally, they're stuck with it.

Plus, being Tigger or whoever might be a rung on the entertainment industry ladder, so perhaps people hoping for that sort of work might need to do it for the CV value. ;)

There will always be people to do even the crappiest jobs. That doesn't mean they should be treated badly or not respected. There is dignity in all work.

Didn't intend to offend the people who do those 'costume' jobs - my cynicism is directed towards the employers who happily enforce such conditions on their employee. There is dignity in work, but employers should aid that perception.

Yup, I might have known that you're not an 'if you don't like it, tough shit!' merchant. Silly of me.

I wouldn't do those jobs for a gold clock, though. And I have done jobs that people said the same thing about. :lol:

Your right, wouldnt being Tigger look interesting on your CV?

I have always done the really crap jobs (as its all I could ever get) and prospective employers think Im well rounded....

They are particularly interested in my Football Stewarding.

(pictures Tigger in a Hi viz jacket...)

Has there been any further developments on the Tigger story?

What happened next?

Have the father & son been given a huge sum to forget about it? Has Tigger been fired?

Or has Disney taken a stand and defended its employee against the dubious claims??? (I am not holding my breath on this)

More Argus craziness......

Would you dress as a walrus for free rent in Brighton?

4:33pm Wednesday 12th June 2013 in News

An advert offering free rent in a house in Brighton in exchange for dressing as a walrus has gone viral online.

The ad on Gumtree offers a double room overlooking Queen's Park in Brighton for absolutely no rent.

The drawback is whoever takes the room must dress like a walrus, and act like one, for two hours a day.

The odd demand comes from the anonymous poster of the advert, who explains they had spent three years living alone on St Lawrence island with their only friend being a walrus whom they named Gregory.

The ad reads: "Never have I had such a fulfilling friendship with anyone, human or otherwise, and upon leaving the island I was heartbroken for months.

The poster said they had constructed a realistic walrus costume which "should fit most people of average proportions, and allow for full and easy movement in character."

For about two hours a day the lodger would have to wear the costume and "be a walrus", including making walrus noises and eating fish.

The advert was put online yesterday and already has gone viral on social media sites.

It is unknown if the post is a hoax or the poster genuinely misses their walrus friend Gregory.

Would you dress as a walrus for free rent? Let us know by using the poll below and send us a photo of your best walrus impression. :shock:

Your Vote

Would you dress as a walrus for free rent?
Yes
No
Don't know

Do you know the poster of the advert? Call the newsdesk on 01273 544530 or email [email protected].

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10480142.Would_you_dress_as_a_walrus_for_free_rent_in_Brighton_/

EDIT: Wasn't really sure where to post this.......

"This walrus costume seems to be open at the back!"
"Shut up, man! Bite on the fish!"

Well it is Brighton! :shock:

JamesWhitehead said:
"This walrus costume seems to be open at the back!"
"Shut up, man! Bite on the fish!"

Well it is Brighton! :shock:

Yeah. It does sound like there's a catch.

TANSTAAFL! :lol:

The Carpenter said nothing but
"The butter's spread too thick!"

from Last Tango in Brighton? by I'll Oral Screw. :?

I'd imagine acting like a walrus involves lying down for a couple of hours and occasionally raising an arm. But where did he get a walrus costume? No... he didn't do that to Gregory, did he?! Somebody call Gregory! What do you mean he's not answering his phone?!

Amazingly, Kevin Smith wants to turn this story into a horror film starring Quentin Tarantino!

Smith also recently completed a script called Tusk, which is based on an online ad about a man who rents out a room in his house for free, as long as the person dresses as a walrus for two hours per day. He wants Michael Parks the play the lead, Quentin Tarantino as the victim and envisions the story as “the cuddly version of The Human Centipede.”

While waiting for (funding on Clerks III), Smith got inspired and began writing a script called Tusk. He first talked about this on his Smodcast back in June. It’s based on an internet ad (via Gumtree) about a man who was reportedly spent three years alone on an island and befriended a walrus. The man came home, missed his walrus and offered free lodging…if you dress and act like a walrus for two hours per day.

Smith read this, imagined the story as a horror movie and has now written a script of just that. He calls it “the most fucked-up, absurd movie ever” and wants Michael Parks in the lead. Also, he’d love Quentin Tarantino to play the lodger, so he sent the 85-page script to him with no information. He has yet to hear back from the director. But, Smith said he has a meeting this week about possible financing.
http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-smith-wr ... ii-update/

:shock:

At least we know what the theme song will be.

Ah, the truth emerges...

I am the walrus: Brighton prankster behind bizarre Gumtree ad to be turned into Hollywood film

The Argus can exclusively reveal the man behind the bizarre walrus advert which has taken the internet by storm as 32-year-old Chris Parkinson.

The serial prankster, who posted a notice on Gumtree offering free lodgings in Brighton for anyone willing to dress up as the sea mammal, has sparked Hollywood director Kevin Smith to write a movie script.

Filming is now set to start in Los Angeles in September with actor Michael Parks in the main role.

Mr Parkinson, a Brighton-based performance poet, told The Argus he now wants to be involved in the filming and has asked the Jay and Silent Bob director to get in touch.

He said: “I’ve been doing silly things like this all my life, mostly to amuse myself.

“I’m not sure where the inspiration came from. It just arrived in my head fully formed and I thought to myself ‘that’s a great story’.”

The advert featured a man who had befriended a walrus called Gregory while living on a remote island off Alaska.

Upon leaving he was said to be “heartbroken”.

The advert offered free rent in a Queen’s Park flat for anyone willing to wear a walrus suit for two hours a day.

He said: “I thought it was just a bit of a joke but the next thing I knew it was all over the papers.”

But it’s not the first time the prankster has made the news. Earlier this year, he had Argus readers in stitches when he responded to the council’s plea for people to report potholes and broken lampposts by alerting them to a portal to another dimension.

His witty response even got a mention on TV’s Have I Got News For You.

When he was younger he also made it on to BBC’s Points of View as a spokesman for the fictional St Albans League of Amateur Fortune Tellers.

His complaint, which was duly broadcast on a Sunday afternoon, was directed at the National Lottery’s then resident psychic Mystic Meg for her disappointing conversion rate.

Mr Parkinson, who also works for Brighton Fringe, said he received more than 400 replies to his advert.

“Some people had a bit of a joke while others said ‘I like it all apart from the walrus. Can I just pay cash?’ “I had quite a fewreplies from people who said they were up for it.”

He now wants to get in touch with director Kevin Smith, who he admits to being a big fan of, so he can get involved with the filming.

He said: “I would love to be involved.

“Hopefully he will see this and get in touch.”
The Brighton Argus

Movies are taking a turn for the worse, aren't they? The Human Centipede (which is either hard to swallow or will have you in stitches!), and now this!

Good grief, he turned that one out fast! I liked Smith's last horror movie a lot, but this looks a strange mix of torture cliché and goofball, erm, cliché. Probably best not to judge it from a trailer, but...

There's another side to this sort of situation - costumed actors who are the victims rather than the alleged perpetrators ...

This lengthy article about recent incidents also provides some background and history of such incidents.
Disney characters say tourists inappropriately touched them

Walt Disney World employees who portray Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and Donald Duck each filed police reports this month claiming they were inappropriately touched by tourists.

The woman inside the Mickey Mouse costume went to the hospital with neck injuries caused by a grandmother patting the character’s head, while the employees wearing the Minnie Mouse and Donald Duck costumes were groped by tourists, according to Orange County Sheriff’s Office reports.

The incidents come after a 51-year-old man was arrested in November after an employee portraying a Disney Princess told investigators he groped her breast while getting a photo taken. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/ef382b99d281ae18367a573dce1e97fd

When she was a teenager, a friend of mine had a part-time job as a mascot for a chicken restaurant in the small town where she lived. She was required to wear a chicken costume and stand in front of the restaurant waving at passersby in an attempt to attract business. The costume obscured her face but did have a slit in the eye area which enabled her to see. Some passersby, mostly young men, found it hysterically funny to ask her if she was a good lay. Apparently they failed to understand that she could see them clearly even though they couldn't see her face. They also failed to consider the possibility that, given the community's small size, they could encounter her by chance and she might recognise them. I don't know if she ever did.

A good friend of mine was almost fired from his weekend job at a local castle for smoking cigarettes on duty while dressed as the Easter Bunny.

They let him off with a warning.

This young Canadian man describes his personal odyssey from thinking costumed mascots were ridiculous to wanting to make a living as one.
I became a mascot for my dad. Here's what I learned after I got past the embarrassment

I didn’t understand my father's obsession with mascots for over a decade ...

Turns out, my father wanted me to become a mascot. The job he pressed me to do involved putting on a silly costume and — I thought at the time — humiliating myself by awkwardly dancing in front of other people.

I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard. His idea held that distinction in my head for over a decade. ...

In 2020, I moved to Toronto and, as fate would have it, my new home was right next to a store that sells custom mascot suits. Walking past Hogtown Mascots in Toronto every week brought me back to that moment in 2008. It got me thinking, what if I had taken the mascot path? ...

And now I'm on the hunt for a part-time mascot gig. I decided to apply for a mascot job with a minor league basketball team. I even got an interview and had an in-person tryout at a basketball game. Now, I'm nervously waiting for them to tell me whether I got the job.

I've learned to embrace this unconventional job and those who laugh at me can be damned. I regret that I didn't have this confidence when I was 16, but it's never too late to pursue a dream. Even if that dream is to put on a giant costume and dance around. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/nowornever...-after-i-got-past-the-embarrassment-1.6357161

I'd fancy trying out for Partick Thistle's Kingsley, surely the world's weirdest sporting mascot.

Kingsley-the-new-Partick--009.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...un/23/david-shrigley-mascot-kingsley-football

Back