• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The perils of licking envelopes

MrSnowman

Abominable Snowman
I received this in work today, and thought it might be worth a chuckle.

"I have a coworker who states that his wife (who is a nurse) witnessed a situation involving someone who licked an envelope and then "hatched" a cockroach from her tongue. Supposedly while licking an egg-infested glue strip on an envelope, she got a paper cut. This then got "infected" but when she went to the hospital to have it examined, the doctor made an incision to release the pus and a roach crawled out. "

'This is a true story... Pass it on'

"If you lick your envelopes... You won't anymore!!!!!

A woman was working in a post office in California, one day she licked the envelopes and postage stamps instead of using a sponge. That very day the lady cut her tongue on the envelope.

A week later, she noticed an abnormal swelling of her tongue. She went to the doctor, and they found nothing wrong. Her tongue was not sore or anything.

A couple of days later, her tongue started to swell more, and it began to get really sore, so sore, that she could not eat. She went back to the hospital, and demanded something be done. The doctor, took an x-ray of her tongue, and noticed a lump. He prepared her for minor surgery.

When the doctor cut her tongue open, a live roach crawled out. There were roach eggs on the seal of the envelope. The egg was able to hatch inside of her tongue, because of her saliva. It was warm and moist...

"This is a true story... Pass it on""

I've found the e-mail verbatim here

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/cockro ... icking.htm

and it has a little bit of analysis as well.

It kind of takes me back to the "spider bite leading to sac full of spider's eggs on the neck" that went around school in the 80s. Eurrghhh!

:shock:

:wince:

I've heard a few of these stories.I also watched out of morbid fasination, a short clip of someone pulling a inch long grub out of his lower leg after it had presumably been laid there by something.Nice.

Oh yuck, this has just reminded me of a story I thought I had managed to repress.

Once upon a time a guy went to a strip club, one of those clubs where they take it all off and rub it right in your face. Guy wakes up next morning and his eyes are swollen and pussy. Eventually he goes to the doctor and is told, after examination, that his eyes are full of crab eggs.

Ugh, I think I have to puke now.

I thought this was going to be about BSE - at the height of the BSE hysteria in England, I remember there was a rumour going around that you might be able to catch it from licking envelopes because the glue consisted of melted-down cow - spinal cord and all. Could there be any truth to this? It quite impressed me at the time, and I've bought self-seal envelopes ever since.

Certainly I stopped licking envelopes when I spoke to a colleague who had worked in one of the larger London prisons where they make the glue and he mentioned that the prisoners as a giggle often personalised envelope glue with something of themselves (if you follow my meaning).

:cross eye

Seinfeld!

(George's fiance Susan dies after licking the cheap envelopes George persuaded her to buy for their wedding invitations)

Another point to remember is that cockroach eggs are in cases with 10-20 eggs in each one.

Seehere

And the cases I saw, from medium sized cockroaches, were too big to go unnoticed on an envelope.

BTW seached for 'cockroach eggs' on Google and the top 8 links were UL sites debunking this theory.

Heckler said:
Certainly I stopped licking envelopes when I spoke to a colleague who had worked in one of the larger London prisons where they make the glue and he mentioned that the prisoners as a giggle often personalised envelope glue with something of themselves (if you follow my meaning).

:cross eye

I've heard this one. It was common 'knowledge' in the Police that you should never lick an evevelope as they were made by Prisoners who hated coppers (obviously) and deposited bodily fluids in the gum. I tend to believe it is a UL myself (although just to be sure I never did lick the envelopes :D ).

Every time I lick an envelope I'm reminded of that bloody Johnathon Creek episode with poison on the envelope gum. Stupid, I know, but it's really stuck with me >.<

I'm always remined of Seinfeld when George's Fiancee dies because he buys the cheap chinese envelopes (with the poisoned glue) for the wedding invitations instead of the expensive ones she wanted.

a bit off topic, but if you rip open a self-sealed envelope in a dark room, you'll see a flash of blue light where you tear open the flap! :shock:

thats a security measure thingy iirc

zygmunt said:
a bit off topic, but if you rip open a self-sealed envelope in a dark room, you'll see a flash of blue light where you tear open the flap! :shock:

Yes, I've seen that. It's called 'triboluminescence'.

A man who i beleive to be very intelligent one of the smartest guys i know and he is almost 70 this year. He has been teaching for and excess of 30 years and once in my fourthgrade class he let us in on some information.....

Tape worms can grow to be 40 feet long, and they can actually get aggresive. Mature tape worms living in your body will actually require such an amount of food that it CAN get to the point where the thing actually comes up into your throat and takes food from your mouth as you are trying to chew. You can see it if you look in the mirror, dodging back and forth, waiting for food.

ECKK !!!!!!!

Human_84 said:
Mature tape worms living in your body will actually require such an amount of food that it CAN get to the point where the thing actually comes up into your throat and takes food from your mouth as you are trying to chew. You can see it if you look in the mirror, dodging back and forth, waiting for food.

ECKK !!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl:

On the plus side, the tape worm in your throat will eat the cockroaches coming out of your tongue. :rofl:

I thought that was what the spiders in the hairdo were for.

Did he say anything about luring it out with raw meat or warm milk or something?

Mythopoeika said:
zygmunt said:

Yes, I've seen that. It's called 'triboluminescence'.

You can do it with gaffer tape as well.

My Grandma always said that the glue on envolopes was made from boiled down bones.I have often wondered if this was true, or just one of those things grans say to gross you out.

Nope, your grandmother was right.

By definition, glue is made from animal byproducts such as skins and bones. An adhesive is any product that joins materials together. Today, the words "glue" and "adhesive" have become interchangeable.

>>Link<<

That just shows you should always listen to what your Grandma says.She knows best

Back