• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Phantom Sheep Of The North York Moors

Tunn11

Justified & Ancient
Don’t know where to post this but as it happened to me I’ll put it there but if any Mods want to move it please feel free.

About 25 years or so ago we (Mrs T and I ) decided that we were fed up with the endless round of shopping for Xmas presents near home which usually resulted in not buying something because we weren’t sure then ending up making another trip to get it. We decided to have a weekend away in North Yorkshire and spend a day in York where we would get the presents, one day and that’s it. In those days there were shops in York that weren’t in the South, so there was a chance of buying something different.

We stayed in Hawnby on the North York Moors and as it was November the trip back to Hawnby was in darkness . It was also quite misty. I’m guessing that we were somewhere on the road that joins the b1257 to Murton Bank

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...b00de94fe77e0a3!8m2!3d54.2995962!4d-1.1676728

we saw what looked to be a phantom sheep. The road twisted and dropped at the point and I was using main beam, which throws strange shadows on roadside tussocks of grass, etc. But at one point while turning left a white shape went from left to right across the road.

Mrs T saw it as well. As there was nothing else on the road I reversed and tried it again. Sure enough an illusion, although I couldn’t work out how it worked. After several tries I could see another car so had to give up.

Other trips were made but not in the mist, which must have been a factor, although a couple of years later we did visit Helmsley with some friends (who liked the Xmas shopping idea) and returned to Helmsley in similar conditions to our first encounter. I mentioned the “phantom sheep of the North York Moors” was somewhere around where we then were; soon after we reached the spot and saw it again, albeit not as convincingly as the first encounter.

Never worked out how the illusion worked but I wonder whether some motorist, on their own, on a dark lonely road, saw it and is convinced they saw a road ghost?

... The road twisted and dropped at the point and I was using main beam, which throws strange shadows on roadside tussocks of grass, etc. But at one point while turning left a white shape went from left to right across the road.
Mrs T saw it as well. As there was nothing else on the road I reversed and tried it again. Sure enough an illusion, although I couldn’t work out how it worked. ...
I know of two situations that can cause a projected light artifact to appear to move counter to the direction of a moving light source. Both involve a fixed point through which at least a portion of the light passes or at which the light is reflected - in both cases onto a surface where the projection is visible.

The first case involves a gap or aperture in something between the light source and the projection surface(s). As the light source moves in one direction the "line of projection" pivots at the aperture, causing the projection to seem to move in the direction opposite the light source's direction of movement.

The second case is the same, but the fixed 'pivot' point is reflecting the light rather than passing only a portion of it.

I know of two situations that can cause a projected light artifact to appear to move counter to the direction of a moving light source. Both involve a fixed point through which at least a portion of the light passes or at which the light is reflected - in both cases onto a surface where the projection is visible.

The first case involves a gap or aperture in something between the light source and the projection surface(s). As the light source moves in one direction the "line of projection" pivots at the aperture, causing the projection to seem to move in the direction opposite the light source's direction of movement.

The second case is the same, but the fixed 'pivot' point is reflecting the light rather than passing only a portion of it.
I'd guess a gap as the verges to the road were higher than the road with tufts of grass, etc. on them. The mist maybe provided the "screen". I don't know whether it worked in reverse as backing up a slope with a bend in it in the dark required more attention (from both of us) than driving down it forwards with main beam lights on! It was more noticeable the first time when it was mistier, enough to cause me to brake thinking it was a sheep, although fairly obvious soon after that it wasn't as they tend to either be quite noticable running off, or to stand in the road looking indignant.

sheep.jpg

I live not very far from Hawnby (in fact I ride out of there on occasion). I've never seen any optical illusions up there, but will be looking out for them now! Admittedly, I don't go up there in fog...

I live not very far from Hawnby (in fact I ride out of there on occasion). I've never seen any optical illusions up there, but will be looking out for them now! Admittedly, I don't go up there in fog...
I'm envious. We used to walk down to the bridge and watch the dippers* in the stream and at dusk in the summer, the bats.

* They're birds, just in case anyone was getting the wrong idea!

Back