"THE PIES THE PIES" On The M6 & Other Classic Graffiti

Yes, but could you cycle up Marlow Hill? ;)
Yep, that's easier, you get a flattish bit half way and I could get up in '6' (out of ten), steel frame bike as well. Amersham Hill was hard, but doable if you stood on the pedals, Hamilton was a bastard, straight up, low gear and stand on the pedals. Cryer's hill I could do on the seat. I ran up them last three hills as well ;).

The only hill I never got up was Green Hill, the really steep hairpin defeated me, I swear the inside track was 45 degrees. :cry:

crystophalax

Junior Acolyte
These cryptic predictions gave drivers stuck in traffic on the Coventry A45 something to think about.

It was there for a few years, but the whole area was knocked down to make way for a bigger roundabout in 2014.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
A wonderful graffito left over from the 80s near where I grew up:

Skinheaead - with variations in lettering that indicated clearly that the author had been interrupted before finishing and then - anxious to complete the job - had resumed the word at a point he'd already written.

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
These cryptic predictions gave drivers stuck in traffic on the Coventry A45 something to think about.

It was there for a few years, but the whole area was knocked down to make way for a bigger roundabout in 2014.

Did always wonder who was resp[onsible for this craxed gibberish. It's gone now. Weirdly a number of the houses next to the hotel, which were intended to be bulldozed, haven't been. They just sit there (ironically for Coventry) like a Ghost Town.

Last edited:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Famous bit of graffiti if you know this end of Leeds, that's been there since god knows when.

Rubbish pic from google street view, it just says "Neither work nor leisure"

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
There was the equally well known "I wish I could fly" on the inside of the single track / blind bridge by Headingley Sports ground, that got painted over about 15 years back sadly.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Yesterday on a walkover bridge i saw a union jack, a Scottish flag and another one, i cant remember if it was blue white and red or red white and blue, it was vertical stripes, not horizontal

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Yesterday on a walkover bridge i saw a union jack, a Scottish flag and another one, i cant remember if it was blue white and red or red white and blue, it was vertical stripes, not horizontal
The Tricolore?

Shady

Thats what i thought when i saw it, but couldnt figure out why it was with the other two
Edit: Not sure that other was a scottish flag, it was a white background with a red horizontal stripe with a vertical stripe 3/4 of the way up the horizontal one

Im not frelling good with flags

Last edited:

rynner2

Great Old One
Blue, white and red is the French Tricolour.

(Red, white and Blue is flag Tango (letter T) in the International Code of Signals.)

Shady

I edited my post Ryn, but i think it was the French flag, dont think the other was a Scottish one, at least i got our own flag right :p Im gonna have to try and grab a pic when i next go under, if we can slow down enough

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Some graffiti which inspired Roger Waters' lyrics for Dark Side of the Moon...
Roger Waters said:
I used to travel on the tube from Goldhawk Road to Paddington a lot, back in the late ‘60s when I lived in Shepherd’s Bush. And there was this terrific piece of art I passed every day, graffitied on this very long kind of concrete wall. So as you pulled out of Goldhawk Road tube station and headed for the darkness, while you’re still up in the light, somebody had written, SAME THING DAY AFTER DAY. It was about 30 yards long. The whole thing read something like this, HAVE A CUP OF COFFEE, GO DOWN THE STATION, GET ON THE TRAIN, GO TO WORK, COME HOME, WATCH TV, GO TO BED – SAME THING DAY AFTER DAY. And it was repeated again and again, going faster and faster as you accelerated into the blackness of the tunnel. And I was thinking, “Who did that?” This was 1968 or whatever. IN fact there was an advert in the tube around the same time – and I don’t think I’ve ever shared this before – not sure what it was advertising, a band or building society or something, and it said GET A GOOD JOB WITH MORE PAY – though there were no vowels, only consonants. And I remember connecting those two images from the underground – one was art and one was commerce – and they sort of married in my mind. And that’s where the lyrics for the song Money came from.
Pic of graffiti at:
http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?34613-The-London-graffiti-that-inspired-the-lyrics-to-Time

Picture now offline, but retrieved and uploaded here (Yith):

18_Same Thing_800_rgb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tribble

Furry Idiot
I have a vague memory of a grainy B&W photo of it in the Mary Whitehouse Experience Encyclopedia. I don't have my copy available though. Does anyone visit second-hand bookshops regularly?
Either my memory's playing tricks on me, or my copy of the book, that I've just retrieved from storage, is from a parallel universe. There is no photo of the bridge, just the text as quoted in hunck's above post :(

Nor is it in the original tv monologue. 4:28 onwards -

Last edited:

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
I remember some graffiti on one of the original 1950s concrete bridges on the M1 (works of art themselves and not so many left now unfortunately), that was there for years that said ''time for a change, kick them out''. It was one of those farm bridges that just go from a field to another field. Maybe the farmer did it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Either my memory's playing tricks on me, or my copy of the book, that I've just retrieved from storage, is from a parallel universe. There is no photo of the bridge, just the text as quoted in hunck's above post :(

Nor is it in the original tv monologue. 4:28 onwards -

Away to the Mandela Effect thread! :bananas:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Some graffiti which inspired Roger Waters' lyrics for Dark Side of the Moon...

Pic of graffiti at:
http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?34613-The-London-graffiti-that-inspired-the-lyrics-to-Time

Picture now offline, but retrieved and uploaded here (Yith):

View attachment 18788

Have added the image you mention as it had disappeared from the link.

Another great picture from a link at that link is this:

e0b26151-0ce9-413d-a760-cc7c69758178-2060x1351.jpeg

Graffiti on Basing Street in Notting Hill Gate, West London, around 1974. Photograph: Roger Perry

Tribble

Furry Idiot
M74 southbound, just before J9, someone's decorated a sign with the words "EARTH IS FLAT". Obviously a local farmer boasting about how level their fields are.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
I saw graffiti in a bus shelter in Dundee which seemed to be from a football fan trying to get as many mistakes as possible into one sentence: "dundee untied is a poofs"

I also remember about 20 years ago a spate of graffiti that worked its way across town, simply saying "Hairy Bum Cheeks."

PeteS

Seeking refuge
On the Fylde coast in the UK where the evilness of frack mining is taking place, there's a lot of graffiti such as "don't frack up the planet", "frack off Cuadrilla" and stickers over road signs to local spots simply declaring "fracked". Disappear and reappear all over the place.