• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"THE PIES THE PIES" On The M6 & Other Classic Graffiti

Or Fishtoft.

“Pies” is writ large on a wall just outside of London Liverpool Street station. It is graffiti not advertising and that is all that is written. Pies!

Last night our snooping app map showed Techy cycling near 'The Vote Pies Bridge'. He was near a canal bridge so he'll have a look next time for pastry-related graffiti.

Edit - it's actually the railway bridge over the M6, as mentioned on Twitter -

Pies graffiti

Last edited:
I have the niggling certainty that THE PIES THE PIES is mentioned in an Alexei Sayle novel- possibly Overtaken, although it's been a while since I've re-read it. The narrator at one point can't think of anything to write in a B&B guest book, so just writes THE PIES THE PIES.

1563807964405.png

I got this from an exhibition in the Turner gallery. There's some reflection from the glass over the photo.

There's a bridge that carries the West Coast main line over the road that links the A6 at Carnforth
to the M6, this as always had "Gauranga" on both sides, the word is linked to the God Krishna and
has been there many years, when the bridge as been repainted or just the word painted out
it soon reappears, must look if it's still there next time I pass but it shows on Google st view
if looking a bit worn, you would think if it was just one or two people doing it they would
be getting a bit long in the tooth now for hanging over a bridge that carries a high speed
rail line, must have been there over 20 years and was quite common on other bridges in
times passed.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.1...4!1sLAtPy6zngF181p-sQMgAHw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There's a bridge that carries the West Coast main line over the road that links the A6 at Carnforth
to the M6, this as always had "Gauranga" on both sides, the word is linked to the God Krishna and
has been there many years, when the bridge as been repainted or just the word painted out
it soon reappears, must look if it's still there next time I pass but it shows on Google st view
if looking a bit worn, you would think if it was just one or two people doing it they would
be getting a bit long in the tooth now for hanging over a bridge that carries a high speed
rail line, must have been there over 20 years and was quite common on other bridges in
times passed.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.1...4!1sLAtPy6zngF181p-sQMgAHw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I seem to recall an Edinburgh bridge like that! Call out Gauranga, be happy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauranga#Hare_Krishna_movement

Used to see lots of wee labels with it written on, flyposted to street furniture.

Reactions: RaM
Hare Krishna temple and all that, didn't they have something to do with it?

on the underpass in salford at start of M602/regent road/albion way, where the spire is, there was a great exemplar in the nineties :

ANITA HEPBURN IS A GRASSER
and
ANITA HEPBURN IS A INFOMER

latter had then been corrected to

ANITA HEPBURN IS A INFOMRER

this then wound up as the lyric to the coda to a song by polythene, a local band with a great female vocalist/drummer

Back