• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Piri Reis Map

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
PiltdownMan said:
Don't you think, sometimes, that _everybody_ in 15th century Europe had prior knowledge of the Americas, apart from, it would seem, Columbus?
Columbus probably had access to maps like those of Piri Ries, which gave him the confidance to traverse the ocean.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a lovely big book on Piri Reis here just now...I think it's someone's PhD thesisy-thingy so it's probably a one off! And it's mine! All mine! Well, for six months...

I've always been fascinated by the Piri Reis (sp?) map myself. Would anyone happen to know what the current "rational" explanation is for that particular anomaly, or does the academic world just choose to ignore it?

I did have a copy of the Piri Reis map going about here somewhere and I'm sure that he drew Antarctica minus the ice. I'm not sure where that much ice could have come from; someone into geology or geography should perhaps step up here?

I think (off the top of my head here) that ice cores from the Antartic point to time scales much longer than those which would confirm the Piri Reis map, even though I do tend to believe in a world-straddling maritime community prior to that admitted to by conventional historians.

The Piri Reis map has been 'proved' to show Antarctica with no coastal ice. However, it's also been 'proved' to be fake, and 'proved' to not resemble Antarctica. I've got the details in a couple of books somewhere......but don't hold your breath, I'm gonna be awfy busy until after the exams... :(

With regard to the Piri Reis and other contemporary (14C?) maps - good guesswork? As I recall, the real mystery is why a continent south of Tierra del Fuego was even believed to exist, as most of South America hadn't been explored at that time.

Er, well that's me displaying my total lack of knowledge of history and science again (and spelling, and grammar...)

A map of Antarctica without it's ice sheet can be found here: tea.rice.edu/activity/tremblay/theshapeoftheiceusingmapstolearnaboutantarctictopography_data.html
Link is dead. No archived version found. Here is a substitute image illustrating how Antarctica would appear if its ice sheet were removed (and the underlying bedrock rose in response).

It looks nothing like the Piri Re'is or any other map. ...

Antarctica_Without_Ice_Sheet.jpg
SOURCE: http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/antarctica-2/east-antarctic-ice-sheet/antarctica_without_ice_sheet/

Here is a National Geographic map illustrating Antarctica without its current ice sheets (but not adjusted for bedrock rebound).

index.php

Really? I could've sworn I read somewhere (with regard to the The Antartic is Atlantis theory) that there was a map of Atlantis that Plato drew, which looks increadibly like a map of the antartic ... :confused:

Yeah that looks like the map, I think I read the story in The X Factor ... y'know that "builds up in fortnightly issues" mag that was around a few years ago

Enough submarine ruins indicative of a pre- or inter-Ice Ages civilization or culture have been discovered within just the past five or six years in the North Atlantic, the Caribbean, the North Pacific, the Black Sea, the Mediterranean and the Indian Oceans that such speculative sources as the Oer Linda Boek and even the Piri Reis map are no longer the primary evidences they once were.

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf028/sf028p01.htm

andrewcollins.com/page/confe ... ollins.htm
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2006082...ns.com/page/conference/qc99/andrewcollins.htm

Just to make the point that these finds would suggest that the late pre-Eastern Roman Empire had some trade links with the Central / South Americas.

Other toothsome morsels like the "Piri Re'is" sea Charts (showing Western seaboard of N America and Antartica's pre-glacial shoreline) etc would lead me to question the dismissive slant of orthodox marine history.

Piri Reis portulans are not the only problematic ones. A number of them depict a very precise map of modern european coasts.Their making needed important studies. But history did not record them. Cartographers had to make them, but their nation or their era remain an enigma.

Piri Reis; I would recommend looking at the the book The Piri Reis Map of 1513 by Gregory McIntosh. ISBN 0-8203 2157-5. The map is interesting but not mysterious, unfortunately a few fringe writers have misrepresented it. The key to understanding the map is to read the margin notes and compare to Columbus' early maps.

Ancient Mariners: Transoceanic Voyages Before the Europeans

Source: ancient-origins.net
Date: 8 March, 2020

The idea that humans have been completing transoceanic voyages - traveling the earth via our oceans - before Europeans set sail is, in many people's eyes, an accepted conclusion. Yet it is still debated , resisted, and rejected in many academic circles.

We have seen the work of Hapgood, who theorized a pre-ice age tradition of world mapping which involved an advanced, unknown sea-faring civilization who possessed astonishing abilities. Hapgood based these claims on decades of research into ancient map fragments; the most famous of which, the “Piri Reis” map dating to the 15th century, is believed by him and his team to show the Princess Martha Coast of Queen Maud Land Antarctica and the Palmer Peninsula.

Astonishing in itself, the fact that the fragment also appears to show the coastline free of ice is downright spectacular considering, according to research presented by Hapgood, the last time it was ice free was over 6,000 years ago (Hapgood, 1966, P. 93-98). Thus, when we consider an oceanic link say, between South America and the Pacific Islands, it should not be too hard to fathom.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/history-important-events/transoceanic-voyage-0013390

This webpage at the Internet Sacred Text Archive provides:

- An overview of the Piri Reis map and its significance in the context of unknown ancient knowledge / civilizations
- A large color image of the map scanned from Hapgood's Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings

https://www.sacred-texts.com/piri/index.htm

This subsidiary Piri Reis webpage at the Internet Sacred Text Archive provides:
- a large grayscale image of the map, annotated to serve as a key to ...
- English translations of the annotations found on the map.

https://www.sacred-texts.com/piri/pirikey.htm

These informative items are drawn from:
"The Oldest Map of America," by Professor Dr. Afet Inan. Ankara, 1954, pp. 28-34.

This webpage at the Internet Sacred Text Archive provides:

- An overview of the Piri Reis map and its significance in the context of unknown ancient knowledge / civilizations
- A large color image of the map scanned from Hapgood's Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings

https://www.sacred-texts.com/piri/index.htm

Hmmm. Even the Sacred Text commentary concedes that the scale is way off.
I tend to go with the analysis on Wikipedia - that the Piri Reis map isn't particularly accurate, with other 16th century maps far exceeding its precision, and that what pseudoscience likes to believe is the coastline of Antarctica is way too far north to be that and is most likely a somewhat vague depiction of South America's east coast.

As for the possibility of pre-Ice Age sea-faring, well I believe that's pretty well a certainty.
Let's not forget that the Ice Age only made northern Europe inhospitable. Locations further south may have even had a more hospitable climate during the Ice Age.
People with the technical ingenuity to construct Göbekli Tepe were surely capable of building boats and, as further evidence emerges for prehistoric occupation of the Azores, those ancient pioneers couldn't have swum out to the mid-Atlantic!

Back