• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Power of Tryptophan

A

Anonymous

turkey and wine are mighty powerful. it should be giving to rioting crowds. after a thanksgiving meal, the only strength i have left is enough to toss right or left during my nap. and when i came too after the nap i was so sore and incapacitated. this stuff is very powerful.

Yeah, me too. Just got over it about 20 hours ago.

Is the tryptophan thing still neurochemically in vogue, as causing drowsiness? I haven't been keeping up with that stuff.

I'm definitely keeping on top of the distilled fruit juice situation- doing my part to add to 10,000 years of human research.

synthwerk said:
in vogue? how so?

I just mean, do scientists still consider it as a substance that contributes to drowsiness? I remember reading about it years ago, I just wonder if there is any new research on it lately.

Do you get it in Brie? Sometimes when I eat Brie I fall asleep uncontrollably for half an hour , I certainly wouldn't operate heavy machinery after I'd eaten it :D

yeah, i think it's still in the collective scientific mentality these days.

i sure as hell acknowledge it since it leaves me drooling and incapacitated.

I think most cheese contains tryptophan.
I'm sure I read that this is converted into serotonin which makes you feel happy! Must be why I eat more cheese in the short, dark days of winter...

i wonder if it depends on the types of cheeses: hard, soft, sharp, mild, veiny, moldy, white, etc?

hmmm, interesting...hard AND soft cheeses.

i did notice a blissful sensation of "alrightness" after eating the turkey and enhancing it with wine. it was very warm and fuzzy and lovey dovey.

i wonder if Trypto-pills can be purchased over the counter...

Triptophen

Triptophen is generally agreed to be one of the betterl natural remedies for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), so much so that I long wondered why it wasn't subjected a more powerful scientific investigation to see whether the effect of triptophen could be strengthened or augmented into a synthesized drug of far greater potency than it already is.

So I asked this of a university medical researcher, himself a psychiatrist.

His answer - triptophen is so inexpensive and easy to obtain (you can obtain your daily dose from a saucer of warmed milk) that there's no profit to be made from it and thus no money to investigate it.

Also see the Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophan

Tryptophan has been implicated as a possible cause of schizophrenia in people who cannot metabolize it properly. When improperly metabolized, it creates a waste product in the brain that is toxic, causing hallucinations and delusions. Tryptophan has also been indicated as an aid for schizophrenic patients.

and on Turkey:

Tryptophan and turkey

Contrary to popular belief, tryptophan in turkey meat does not cause drowsiness [4]. Turkey does contain tryptophan, which does have a documented sleep-inducing effect. However, tryptophan is effective only when taken on its own as a free amino acid. Tryptophan in turkey is found as part of a protein, and, in small enough amounts, this mechanism seems unlikely [5].

A more-likely hypothesis is that the ingestion of large quantities of food, such as at a Thanksgiving feast, means that large quantities of both carbohydrates and branched-chain amino acids are consumed. Like carbohydrates, branched-chain amino acids require insulin to be transduced through the myocyte membranes, which, after a large meal, creates a competition among the amino acids and glucose for insulin, while simultaneously creating tryptophan's reduced competition with other amino acids for the Large Neutral Amino Acid Transporter protein for transduction across the blood-brain barrier. The result is a greater availability of tryptophan, via the Large Neutral Amino Acid Transporter, for conversion into serotonin by the raphe nuclei, which is then available for conversion into melatonin by the pineal gland. Drowsiness is the outcome.

The schizophrenia connection makes one wonder esp. as it is related to Tryptamines:

Tryptamine (3-(2-aminoethyl)indole) is a monoamine compound that is widespread in nature. Biosynthesis generally proceeds from the amino acid tryptophan, with tryptamine in turn acting as a precursor for other compounds including indole, beta-carboline and ergoline alkaloids and auxins.

The tryptamine backbone can also be identified as part of the structure of some more complex compounds, for example: ergoline alkaloids, LSD, ibogaine and yohimbine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptamine

and of course DMT.

Dimethyltryptamine, also known as DMT and N,N-dimethyltryptamine, not to be confused with 5-MeO-DMT, is a hallucinogenic tryptamine, similar in structure to the neurotransmitter serotonin. DMT is created in small amounts by the human body during normal metabolism.

Induced DMT experiences can include profound time-dilation, visual and audio hallucinations, percieved journeys to paranormal realms, and encounters with spiritual beings or other experiences that, by most first hand accounts, defy verbal or visual description.

In a 1988 study conducted at UNM, psychiatrist Rick Strassman found that approximately 20% of volunteers injected with high doses of DMT had experiences identical to purported alien abductions.

Speculations

Several speculative and as yet untested hypotheses suggest that endogenous DMT, produced in the human brain, is involved in certain psychological and neurological states. As DMT is naturally produced in small amounts in humans and other mammals[1] (although the mechanism is not yet understood), some believe it plays a role in dreaming, near-death experiences and other mystical states. It has been speculated by the researcher Jace Callaway that DMT might be connected with visual dreaming. It is also speculated that DMT can be found in elevated amounts during times of visual dreaming or after near-death experiences.

Writers on DMT include Terence McKenna and Jeremy Narby, though scientists who study psychedelic drugs treat their writings with skepticism. McKenna writes of his experiences with DMT in which he encounters entities he describes as "Self-Transforming Machine Elves". Other users report visitation from external intelligences attempting to impart information. These Machine Elf experiences are said to be shared by many DMT users. From a researcher's perspective, perhaps best known is Rick Strassman's DMT: The Spirit Molecule (ISBN 0892819278); Strassman also proposed that DMT is made in the pineal gland, although this is only speculation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine

Although I'm not sure where that all takes us ;)

---------
I've also changed the spelling of the title from Triptophen to Tryptophan.

"Tryptophan has been implicated as a possible cause of schizophrenia....Tryptophan has also been indicated as an aid for schizophrenic patients."

That sure gets 'em coming and going.

synthwerk~ said:
"i wonder if Trypto-pills can be purchased over the counter..."

Possibly, but warming an inch or so of milk in a saucepan's a LOT cheaper.

Tryptophane has also been linked to a rare blood disorder that mimicks lukemia in its symptoms. My brother in law used to make protien shakes containing this substance for bodybuilding purposes and quickly developed the disorder, and was diagnosed with lukemia by mistake.
It subsided months after he stopped using the trypto powder.
I can't find the article just now,but it was from a study done by the Japanese I believe.

Also see the Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophan

and on Turkey:

The schizophrenia connection makes one wonder esp. as it is related to Tryptamines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptamine

and of course DMT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine

Although I'm not sure where that all takes us ;)

---------
I've also changed the spelling of the title from Triptophen to Tryptophan.

Some more on the trouble with ibogaine.

The desperation of some users to get clean leads them to seek hope underground. A while ago, I began to hear about a rogue treatment called ibogaine. It’s illegal in the US but draws users south to Mexico, where a network of unregulated clinics has emerged to offer it. Extracted from the root of a plant native to West Africa, the drug produces psychedelic effects akin to a waking dream and is said by its advocates to spirit away withdrawal symptoms with a single dose, leaving users sober and uninterested in smack. But there’s a catch—apparently, the treatment could kill you.

A drug that provides rapid detoxification from opioids in a single dose struck me as hugely promising. It could change everything, unless the risks were real. I wanted to see for myself how it was being used.

The ritual use of iboga originated in western Central Africa among ancestral tribes. Father Joseph-Henri Neu, a French missionary, described in 1885 how root bark scrapings were ingested during elaborate ceremonies in order “to discover hidden things and to tell the future.” European chemists took an interest in the plant, and in 1901 a compound was isolated from the root. They called it ibogaine.

Then, in a New Jersey suburb in 1962, a 19-year-old recreational drug enthusiast named Howard Lotsof laid hands on 500 mg of powdered iboga root. Active in the underground psychedelic community, Lotsof had heard that higher doses of ibogaine could produce a bizarre trip lasting as long as 36 hours.

https://www.wired.com/story/a-detox-drug-promises-miraclesif-it-doesnt-kill-you-first/

Back