• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Psychosocial Hypothesis (PSH)

http://www.project1947.com/fig/1947c.htm
"Police Cars Alerted
The first "saucers" sighted were said to be "right over" Oaks amusement park. Don Metcalfe, Oaks employee, told William LeRoy, park superintendent, that he had seen them.

An "all car" alert by Portland police radio brought reports from Patrolman Earl Patterson, in car 13, and Patrolmen Walter Lissy and Robert Ellis, in car 82, that they had spotted them.
Perhaps you should include the previous sentence in that report, that gives some clue as to what might have been going on.
Coincidentally, the Associated Press and army officers at Fort Lewis, Wash., announced a flight of six bombers and 24 P-80 jet-propelled Shooting Stars were making a holiday demonstration flight at great altitude over Portland about the time the first "discs" were reported.

They can't be around at the same time? The other descriptions of them during that period don't match conventional aircraft, either.

That's where Occam's Razor applies, I think; a 'holiday display' (whatever that is) is occurring at high altitude at about the same time a number of policemen see high-speed objects. The most likely explanation is favoured.

http://www.project1947.com/shg/ukufo/1952uktop.htm

RESTRICTED
COPY

SIGNAL SENT YESTERDAY FROM 18 GROUP TO HEADQUARTERS COASTAL COMMAND.
"FOLLOWING UNUSUAL INCIDENT OBSERVED R.A.F. TOPCLIFFE BY NUMBER OF OFFICERS AND AIRMEN AIRCREW 1053 LOCAL TIME. METEOR AIRCRAFT OBSERVED AT APPROXIMATELY 5,000 FEET AND DESCENDING. WHITE OBJECT WAS SEEN 5 MILES ASTERN AT APPROXIMATELY 15,000 FEET AND MOVING AT COMPARATIVELY SLOW SPEED ON SIMILAR COURSE. OBJECT WAS SILVER IN COLOUR AND CIRCULAR. IT MAINTAINED SLOW FORWARD SPEED BEFORE COMMENCING DESCENT. SWINGING IN PENDULAR MOTION LIKE A FALLING SYCAMORE LEAF. THOUGHT BY OBSERVERS TO BE PARACHUTE OR COWLING FROM METEOR AIRCRAFT. AIRCRAFT HAD TURNED TOWARDS DISHFORTH AND OBJECT, WHILE STILL DESCENDING, APPEARED TO FOLLOW SUIT. THE PENDULOUS MOTION AND DESCENT CEASED AND OBJECT BEGAN A ROTARY MOTION ABOUT ITS OWN AXIS, SUDDENLY ACCELERATED AT AN INCREDIBLE SPEED IN WESTERLY DIRECTION BUT TURNING TO A SOUTH EASTERLY COURSE. OBSERVERS STATED THAT ITS MOVEMENTS WERE NOT IDENTIFIABLE WITH ANYTHING THEY HAD SEEN IN THE AIR AND ACCELERATION WAS IN EXCESS OF THAT OF A SHOOTING STAR. DURATION OF INCIDENT 15 TO 20 SECONDS."

That's where Occam's Razor applies, I think; a 'holiday display' (whatever that is) is occurring at high altitude at about the same time a number of policemen see high-speed objects. The most likely explanation is favoured.
You are forcing a disc -shaped object into a jet-shaped hole in your paradigm. The descriptions from people seeing them close enough to see they were not jets, said they were weaving and wobbling
and
Capt. K. A. Prehn of the harbor patrol, Harbor Pilot A. T. Austed and Patrolman K. C. Hoffi, who were at the Irving street headquarters of the harbor patrol, said they saw the discs going south over the Globe mills at about 10,000 feet. They seemed to oscillate, weave and turn until sometimes a full disc, sometimes only a crescent was visible.

All three said they were undecided, whether there were three or six discs because of the flashes. Captain Prehn described the sight as a "wobbling hubcap." A regular plane was in the sky at the time, but these were not planes, they agreed.

They sound more like the objects thar circle jets than jets themselves.
And no one came forward thinking they were jets?

The police and citizens didn't know about the "holiday display"?

Last edited:
You are forcing a disc -shaped object into a jet-shaped hole in your paradigm.

muttly-laugh-dick-dastardly.gif

Sure, they are real. The question is, what are they?

(Rather than force anything into holes they don't really fit in, I refer to call them UAPs).

I am beginning to feel that we are back in the 1950s and 60s! Let's face it, by selecting a bunch of cases that can (a) be easily explained, or (b) are totally inexplicable, you can put forward an argument for your particular theory, but proof by selected instances is a game. The only way to get anywhere is, in my view, (a) put aside any particular theory and aim to find out the facts; (b) cases that can be easily explained -- I'd say 80% but make it 95% if you want -- can be ignored; focus on the genuine unknowns. (c) Forget your conviction that you already know what they are, whether it's alien craft or "all cases could be explained if we had enough evidence", and subject these cases to statistical analysis. Many of the most interesting findings of Vallee in the 60s have never been studied or extended. Somewhere in the data there are clues waiting to be discovered.
Here's an example of strange balls of light that suggests all kinds of ideas: Nick Redfern, in his book The Pyramids and the Pentagon, includes a chapter entitled Stonehenge and Secret Files, which describes official investigations of odd events around the stone circles at Avebury and Stonehenge in the late 1950s and early 1960s. In Salisbury Plain, much of it under military control, at least seven sightings of balls of light took place in 1958-9. Balls of light were seen hovering overhead and in several instances followed to Stonehenge, where they entered the circle, hovered awhile then flew into the sky. On two occasions some of the trainee soldiers approached the balls too closely only to experience frightening hallucinations -- a dragon, an angel, and a vision of the Virgin Mary. The distant observers saw them standing entranced. In 1962, a lady from Avebury also encountered one of the balls. It approached her and apparently dropped liquid metal globs onto the ground. Then it silently exploded in a brilliant flash and when the witness recovered her vision it had gone and in its place was a huge monstrous worm that opened its eyes and began to wriggle towards her -- exit witness. Could this be an entirely natural phenomenon that happens to cause hallucinations? Or some kind of device that is designed to do exactly that to cover its real identity -- whatever that is? It suggests that maybe it has a repertoire of possible hallucinations, and interestingly all of the visions quoted by Redfern have been reported in other places, as Forteans well know. Maybe get too close and you will hallucinate a flying saucer?

Have you read the history of the Warminster sightings? An entire group of UFO enthusiasts who were hoaxed by another, equally dedicated group.
http://magoniamagazine.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/experimental-ufo-hoaxing.html

Hoaxes are rife on YouTube, thanks to the proliferation of good, cheap or free CGI programs. It is a good rule of thumb that if a photo or a video shows any details, it is a fake. Unfortunately, that means that good footage that might be usable as evidence is also likely to be dismissed.

There is a theory that a certain type of UAP causes hallucinations, which might explain the peculiar feelings and hallucinatory effects sometimes associated with sightings. The Condign Report mentions this possibility.
“The close proximity of plasma related fields can adversely affect a vehicle or person. For this to occur the UAP must be encountered at very close ranges. A probable modulated magnetic, electric or electromagnetic (or even unknown field) appears to emanate from some of the buoyant charged masses. Local fields of this type … have been medically proven to cause responses in the temporal lobes of the human brain. These result in the observer sustaining (and later describing and retaining) his or her own vivid, but mainly incorrect, description of what is experienced. … This is suggested to be a key factor in influencing the more extreme reports found in the media and are clearly believed by the ‘victims’”.

Some of this may be derived from the theories of Michael Persinger, who famously created a 'God Helmet' that could apparently generate a mystical or god-like feeling in the subject using transcranial magnetic stimulation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet
The experimental psychologist Susan Blackmore tried the helmet out, and reported a very extraordinary experience. But since that time there have been several attempts to repeat the phenomenon, with disappointing results. I've worked with strong magnetic fields with no ill effects, and I'm fairly sure that the effect would be too weak to have any significance in any conceivable UAP encounter.

David Clarke thinks that the Condign Report was basically the result of one person's theories within the MOD, and do not represent the official theory or even a majority opinion. I have very grave doubts that magnetic hallucinations are relevant to the UAP phenomenon in any significant way.

There is a theory that a certain type of UAP causes hallucinations, which might explain the peculiar feelings and hallucinatory effects sometimes associated with sightings. The Condign Report mentions this possibility.

Some of this may be derived from the theories of Michael Persinger, who famously created a 'God Helmet' that could apparently generate a mystical or god-like feeling in the subject using transcranial magnetic stimulation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet
The experimental psychologist Susan Blackmore tried the helmet out, and reported a very extraordinary experience. But since that time there have been several attempts to repeat the phenomenon, with disappointing results. I've worked with strong magnetic fields with no ill effects, and I'm fairly sure that the effect would be too weak to have any significance in any conceivable UAP encounter.

David Clarke thinks that the Condign Report was basically the result of one person's theories within the MOD, and do not represent the official theory or even a majority opinion. I have very grave doubts that magnetic hallucinations are relevant to the UAP phenomenon in any significant way.

Coming home from a very nice dinner in Knutsford Cheshire, my girlfriend and I stopped in the countryside and got out of the car to watch a large silent saucer shaped UFO over the fields. Low and static for some time it suddenly moved from a. to b. in an instant. Once you have actually seen one close to, all the armchair explanations become tedious. They are very real guys.

I am beginning to feel that we are back in the 1950s and 60s! Let's face it, by selecting a bunch of cases that can (a) be easily explained, or (b) are totally inexplicable, you can put forward an argument for your particular theory, but proof by selected instances is a game. The only way to get anywhere is, in my view, (a) put aside any particular theory and aim to find out the facts; (b) cases that can be easily explained -- I'd say 80% but make it 95% if you want -- can be ignored; focus on the genuine unknowns. (c) Forget your conviction that you already know what they are, whether it's alien craft or "all cases could be explained if we had enough evidence", and subject these cases to statistical analysis. Many of the most interesting findings of Vallee in the 60s have never been studied or extended. Somewhere in the data there are clues waiting to be discovered.
Here's an example of strange balls of light that suggests all kinds of ideas: Nick Redfern, in his book The Pyramids and the Pentagon, includes a chapter entitled Stonehenge and Secret Files, which describes official investigations of odd events around the stone circles at Avebury and Stonehenge in the late 1950s and early 1960s. In Salisbury Plain, much of it under military control, at least seven sightings of balls of light took place in 1958-9. Balls of light were seen hovering overhead and in several instances followed to Stonehenge, where they entered the circle, hovered awhile then flew into the sky. On two occasions some of the trainee soldiers approached the balls too closely only to experience frightening hallucinations -- a dragon, an angel, and a vision of the Virgin Mary. The distant observers saw them standing entranced. In 1962, a lady from Avebury also encountered one of the balls. It approached her and apparently dropped liquid metal globs onto the ground. Then it silently exploded in a brilliant flash and when the witness recovered her vision it had gone and in its place was a huge monstrous worm that opened its eyes and began to wriggle towards her -- exit witness. Could this be an entirely natural phenomenon that happens to cause hallucinations? Or some kind of device that is designed to do exactly that to cover its real identity -- whatever that is? It suggests that maybe it has a repertoire of possible hallucinations, and interestingly all of the visions quoted by Redfern have been reported in other places, as Forteans well know. Maybe get too close and you will hallucinate a flying saucer?

I created a separate thread called Voices from the Cosmos, one of these voices was that of the Orbs. They are recognised as a species and their role is to carry information. I have sighted one, moving very purposefully from land to sea. They are sentient, but very very different to us.

Coming home from a very nice dinner in Knutsford Cheshire, my girlfriend and I stopped in the countryside and got out of the car to watch a large silent saucer shaped UFO over the fields. Low and static for some time it suddenly moved from a. to b. in an instant. Once you have actually seen one close to, all the armchair explanations become tedious. They are very real guys.
When was this Fah? and from which road did you observe it?

Have you read the history of the Warminster sightings? An entire group of UFO enthusiasts who were hoaxed by another, equally dedicated group.
http://magoniamagazine.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/experimental-ufo-hoaxing.html

Hoaxes are rife on YouTube, thanks to the proliferation of good, cheap or free CGI programs. It is a good rule of thumb that if a photo or a video shows any details, it is a fake. Unfortunately, that means that good footage that might be usable as evidence is also likely to be dismissed.
Not only was I aware of this affair, but I played a small role in revealing the truth to FSR, which had been cautiously interested in the photos until a careful analysis showed the lights to be below the horizon. My view of the Warminster happenings is that the UFO angle was a piece of disinformation -- people were first alerted that something was happening when strange bangs and detonations were rattling their rooftops. In fact what was probably happening was that the army was constructing an underground regional seat of government to be used in case of nuclear war. So fake sightings were made and someone phoned a local reporter claiming to be from outer space -- not exactly a high tech operation. And of course numerous sky watchers descended on the place with predictable results.
I would automatically suspect any alleged UFO videos on You Tube.

I created a separate thread called Voices from the Cosmos, one of these voices was that of the Orbs. They are recognised as a species and their role is to carry information. I have sighted one, moving very purposefully from land to sea. They are sentient, but very very different to us.
I checked your thread and wasn't much impressed by the alleged telepathic communications with aliens. This kind of "communication" has been going on for decades, using all methods from mediumship through radio and telepathy, and none of it strikes me as genuine. If you are in touch with unknown entities in any manner, how can you possibly assess the reliability of the source? Unless you receive some information about something previously unknown and are able to verify it comprehensively, you are in effect being fed messages from an unknown and possibly malignant entity.
But I am interested in your orb sighting. Have you read that fascinating book by G. Phillips, The Templars and the Ark of the Covenant? Hard to summarise, but intelligent balls of light seem to be a major feature, and the implicit claim that people can contact or control these things using certain gem stones. Another odd comment that I had from a Native American heyoka during some time slip research was that when he travels around out of his body, at night, he is sometimes seen as a ball of light. I think the idea that some of these things are life forms has also been around since the 1950s.

Last edited:
Overall I think the people who support this hypothesis need to show very specifically why it applies in a particular case. They tend instead to use blanket assertions without justifying their conclusions. When they come up with some substantial evidence in support of this theory, instead of merely reiterating it, I might start to take it seriously.
I agree......while it can explain some cases it simply doesn't fit other cases. To throw it out as the only or main answer is simply not supported by any actual science ..at this time.

It's also very possible that whilst we include ourselves in the playing out of this drama, we may often be irrelevant. Aliens might be simply visiting places or even joyriding a new spaceship model, without any real consideration of us at all.

After all we go about our own lives without much consideration of the species all around us.
That's an interesting comment....so then advanced aliens travel all the way to earth..at the edge of the galaxy...just to test or have a joy ride on their new saucer..? Really...?

That's an interesting comment....so then advanced aliens travel all the way to earth..at the edge of the galaxy...just to test or have a joy ride on their new saucer..? Really...?
They're anthropologists or wildlife curators? Or drug dealers (my favourite mad theory).

I agree with you that some sightings are very real indeed....but real what...?

They're anthropologists or wildlife curators? Or drug dealers (my favourite mad theory).
But again...saying they are anthropologists or wildlife curators is a human concept that you are ascribing to aliens.......see the problem?
We have no reason to think that such concepts or actions are in play with another species.

I checked your thread and wasn't much impressed by the alleged telepathic communications with aliens. This kind of "communication" has been going on for decades, using all methods from mediumship through radio and telepathy, and none of it strikes me as genuine. If you are in touch with unknown entities in any manner, how can you possibly assess the reliability of the source? Unless you receive some information about something previously unknown and are able to verify it comprehensively, you are in effect being fed messages from an unknown and possibly malignant entity.
But I am interested in your orb sighting. Have you read that fascinating book by G. Phillips, The Templars and the Ark of the Covenant? Hard to summarise, but intelligent balls of light seem to be a major feature, and the implicit claim that people can contact or control these things using certain gem stones. Another odd comment that I had from a Native American heyoka during some time slip research was that when he travels around out of his body, at night, he is sometimes seen as a ball of light. I think the idea that some of these things are life forms has also been around since the 1950s.

The orb i saw was orange - perhaps just 100 feet above the roof tops, with a surface that appeared like molten marble. I'd put it at about 10 foot in diameter. It was moving from above a port and out to sea. It was direct and purposeful - not especially fast, but after a minute or two had disappeared out to sea. Apart from having seen and read about them (in various guises) i still don't understand them.

I was surprised to see them classed as an individual alien species. They can be summoned apparently, but that's disruptive to their normal work.

Sometimes faces can be seen in orbs and that was explained as being the intended recipient of the message or information.

Some are resident on Earth alongside us - but I suspect there are different types.

I will investigate the book with interest.

Last edited:

As a species we travel constantly to see and enjoy places - or for the pleasure of the drive - why wouldn't they? I wouldn't take the example too literally - but the point I make is that we put ourselves centre stage every time we consider their purpose. That's possible sometimes but I suspect more often it's arrogant and flawed.

I think many visits are to mine certain minerals and sadly also to collect specimens (in exactly the way we still do).

Last edited:
But again...saying they are anthropologists or wildlife curators is a human concept that you are ascribing to aliens.......see the problem?
We have no reason to think that such concepts or actions are in play with another species.

It's a clever point - but actually I think the mining and use of resources does occur. The prevailing attitude being that the rich resources of the Universe are available to all.

Light beings are apparently very different and progressed beyond these needs.

I guess our attitude to new species will be interesting - if we visit Mars and find them - will we collect samples and bring them back?

In a Universe so huge and varied, there will be some with our own attitudes - let's just hope we don't meet them.

The orb i saw was orange - perhaps just 100 feet above the roof tops, with a surface that appeared like molten marble. I'd put it at about 10 foot in diameter. It was moving from above a port and out to sea. It was direct and purposeful - not especially fast, but after a minute or two had disappeared out to sea. Apart from having seen and read about them (in various guises) i still don't understand them.

I was surprised to see them classed as an individual alien species. They can be summoned apparently, but that's disruptive to their normal work.

Sometimes faces can be seen in orbs and that was explained as being the intended recipient of the message or information.

Some are resident on Earth alongside us - but I suspect there are different types.

I will investigate the book with interest.
I see, the thing you saw was a lot bigger than most balls of light which are typically basketball size. No reason it might not have been a normal UFO (if that's the right term). I doubt these things are alien in the sense we usually take it, they seem to have been around a long time -- if that Phillips book is right they have been active since Old Testament times

Most people don't -- unless they're in Africa. I think Hynek's Escalation of Hypotheses model is more accurate. Most people try to interpret novel stimuli in familiar terms (and there have been many psychological studies that confirm this), and some people actually suffer distress if something happens that doesn't fit their world view. It is quite common for someone experiencing a really disturbing experience to actually try to suppress memories of it. If someone is a UFO fanatic he would tend to do the opposite. You have to assess the witness in each case.

Back