• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Pyramids Of Giza

A

Anonymous

The Great Pyramid

Anyone got any more info on this subject?.
I'm not totally clear, but I recall reading something to suggest that a secret door was to be opened to 1998 that would hopefully reveal the hall of records.

I remember this, didn't Robert Bauval or somebody send a robot thing down some narrow passage and half way along it came to a door? Sorry thats the best I can manage.

If you google 'Robert Bauval' or more likely, 'Graham Hancock', I'm sure you'll find something.

Lot's of detailed diagrams on this site, which details the work of the man who sent the robots up the air shafts.

That should keep you out of mischief for a couple of hours!

Thanks for that Rynner... Very interesting; I'd been wondering about that project myself.

Niles "Why does everyone think I'm Egyptian? ;)" Calder

Giza Pyramid Shafts

Aplologies if this has been discussed at length previously, but I remember from one of my earlier forays into Graham Hancock's view of the world, that there were several objects found by Rudolph Gantenbrink(sp?)'s robot in a shaft off the "Queen's" chamber.

One of these (at least) was made of wood (C14 anyone).

Does anyone know of anything following on from this?

The wooden object discovered by Gantenbrinks upuaut robot is still there. However, the Egyptian Authorities have finally announced plans to attempt to open the 'door' at the top of the shaft, albeit without Gantenbrink's assistance. Gantenbrink has just released the following statement:

Statement by Rudolf Gantenbrink 14 August 2002:

"I was pleased to learn that after nearly a decade of relative inactivity, an attempt is to be made to look behind the "door" in the southern Queens chamber shaft of the Great Pyramid.

I myself would love to have played a continuing role in this attempt to resolve one of the last remaining secrets of Cheops, but it was simply not to be. Nonetheless, I wish those involved in this suspenseful endeavor the best of luck as they follow in the tracks laid by Upuaut.

Rudolf Gantenbrink"

It should, however, be noted that I've read somewhere (sorry, can't remember source, but possibly in the book 'Giza: The Truth by Ian Lawton, Chris Ogilvie-Herald) that the piece of wood may be a relic of previous attempts to explore the shaft.

Thanks Prospect,

I await Fox's no doubt unsensationalised version of events with interest.

It's a bit sad really that investigation into one of the single most enigmatic and arguably important antiquities seems to be driven by an American TV network...

For more on the Gantenbrink door (and a petition to
have Dr. Gantenbrink's name MENTIONED by The
National Geographic Society during the opening)
check out:

http://www.dailygrail.com/

Many of their links will take you to info on the
chambers in and below the Sphinx, as well as
the political reasons this info has NOT been
widely distributed.

Take what you will, disregard the rest...
TVgeek

"I was pleased to learn that after nearly a decade of relative inactivity, an attempt is to be made to look behind the "door" in the southern Queens chamber shaft of the Great Pyramid.
I dimly recollect there is some kind of a door in one of the pyramids that has yet to be opened and holds great secrets, or something like that. Is that the same one, or is there another story I'm thinking of?

Mentioning the Fox network, I remember in the US there was a live special where they "Open a mummy's tomb live on national TV!"
It was dead boring. Just full of sand and some trinkets and stuff. I wanted Boris Karloff to sit up and strangle the presenter.

Mentioning the Fox network, I remember in the US there was a live special where they "Open a mummy's tomb live on national TV!"
Was that a Geraldo Rivera production, or am I confusing this with the Al Capone's vault fiasco?

I remember hearing about a very large ceremonial boat being discovered burried close to the pyramids - I think this is an accepted archeological fact. But I also seem to remember that the skeleton of a whale was also found burried close to the pyramids - is there any truth in this?

pi23 said:
But I also seem to remember that the skeleton of a whale was also found burried close to the pyramids - is there any truth in this?
Was it a white whale?!

(Sorry, needed some foolish relief, been battling trolls half the night!)

Themainman said:
I thought a chamber exists under the Sphinx which contains"The secrets of the Universe"and an attempt was to be made to enter this in 2000?Anyone hear anything about this?
The chamber search as well as the replacement gold cap on
the Great Pyramid were both blocked by the head of the
Egyptian Antiquities department, Dr. Zahi Hawass.

In a statement last week, the UK branch of the National Geographic Society stated that Hawass was the
researcher who FOUND the Gatenbrink door in 1991!

Even though he admits that the Sphinx research (that it is
actually 10,000 to 12,000 years old and the weathering on it is
from ancient rain storms) has brought more tourism dollars to Egypt than ANY previous discovery, he firmly stands in the way
of any MAJOR research or excavation done by a non-Egyptian.

Dr. Gatenbrink even offered to train the Egyptians to use his robot to further explore his door -- Zahi had none of it!
Pity, really.

TVgeek

I'm glad somebody brought this up.... I've been wondering over the last 2.5 years what happened to the attempt to the chamber search that was due at the turning of the millenium i.e new year 2000.

Hmmmm it's almost as if he knows whats in there and dosnt want it to been seen....*dododododo*. Either that or Zahi is a bit of a prick *shrugs*

And yes a full ancient Egyptian boat was indeed found not far from the pyramids, well preserved as well I seem to recall. That one is fact.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-395665,00.html

looks liek the robot is going in next month then!

"The entire procedure, which is headed by Zahi Hawass, director of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities, and Mark Lehner, director of the Giza Plateau Mapping Project, will be screened live on the National Geographic Channel, starting at 1am on Tuesday, September 17. It will be repeated at 7pm that night.
"

fancy that.... *keps eyes peeled*

Well the robot is finally going in tomorrow.

Either we will have a great discovery or a big let down.

Well it's over

THoughts:
1) Dr. Hawass is a born ham!!!

2) The sweat on the reporter's face as they opened the tomb was indicitive of fear for the mummy's curse.

3) I'll be surprised if they find anything in that shaft. I think it's just structural. Although, it would be certainly be cool if they find something. I bet Hawass just wishes, in a way, he could dynamite his way through to find a treasure trove.

4) Liked the informational backlog of footage, even if I read most of it earlier in National Geographic.

5) In the tomb - did anybody else see a glint of metal in the tomb?

Door shuts on pyramid mysteries

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2259838.stm

Hopes of unlocking the secrets of the Pharaohs have hit an obstacle after a robot sent into the heart of Egypt's Great Pyramid in Giza has found its way barred.

Scientists will study the footage and prepare for another expedition

With audiences watching on live television, the miniature robot - dubbed the Pyramid Rover - crawled about 65 metres (71 yards) up a narrow tunnel to explore a mysterious shaft blocked by a limestone door.

When it got to the door, it drilled a hole and inserted a fibre optic camera to film what lies beyond.

But the crafty pyramid builders have kept their secrets from prying eyes because the chamber was blocked by yet another door - not seen for more than 4,000 years.

I stayed up until two in the morning for that. What a gyp.
I was hoping for at least a burst of light and some screams and then a loss of picture...how dissapointing.

More about the Search for more Chambers - but with an interesting twist:
Hawass's choice of words - if there is no exit, it will indicate an unknown chamber - mark an extraordinary change in his attitude towards people he once branded "Pyra-mad-ologists".

He now takes tea with engineer Robert Bauval (who says Egyptian civilisation is more than 12 000 years old: it's in the stars) and Graham Hancock (the constellation of Orion mirrors the Giza Plateau) and John Anthony West (the Sphinx was damaged by constant rain and floods 15 000 years ago), and entertains the theories he once found laughable.

Why the change?

The small door in the pyramid shaft. It should never have been there.
Also discussion of searches using microgravity measurements.

I have to say that I have been pretty disappointed in the engineering approach to the whole situation here. They found a shaft with no obvious other end, so they built a robot to drag a camera up there to see what was there. They found a door. So they had to build another robot that could drill through the door. Then they found another door, so we have to wait another six months or so while they build a robot that can get past the first door, and drill through the second door. If they'd thought far enough ahead, they would have designed the second robot to get past the first door, and be able to try the same trick again if it encountered another door.

By the time they find the chamber (should it actually exist), they're going to be amazingly disappointed in what it contains (my money's on razor blades).

Bump! Two 'robot' threads merged. And a new article on pyramid building:

The 'eccentric man' who moves big rocks
Ottawa's Nick Raina may have solved one of the world's greatest mysteries. Brushing aside hundreds of years worth of theories by historians and archeologists, the 69-year-old man claims he can build a Great Pyramid just like the one constructed by the Egyptians, in approximately 2450 BC, using simple hand tools and minimal force.

Mr. Raina is not an engineer or a scientist. He describes himself simply as "an eccentric old man that moves big rocks."

He will give a full-scale demonstration in Perth today at the Stewart Park Festival.

Whereas it has traditionally been assumed that the Egyptians built ramps and laboriously dragged more than two million limestone slabs, each weighing approximately 2.3 tonnes, to the top of the Great Pyramid, Mr. Raina said the real answer to the mystery can

be found in a bizarre-looking wooden contraption that sits on his driveway.

"Modern man's concept of how ancient man moved rock is balderdash," he said, standing outside his Onondaga Crescent house in Nepean, surrounded by logs, rocks and rope. "I've reduced moving rocks to the pyramid to a mom-and-pop operation."

In order to move large rocks intelligently, he said, you have to use the weight of the rock. Friction must be eliminated and momentum, once it starts, has to be maintained.

Mr. Raina believes that the rectangular rocks were moved from the quarry to the site of the pyramid by fastening wooden planks to the four sides of the slabs (almost like the bottom of a rocking chair) and then pulling it along with a rope so it rolls.

He uses the wooden casing filled with concrete on his driveway to demonstrate.

"I've had a seven-year-old girl pull 535 pounds herself," he said.

Once the rocks have been placed at the site, Mr. Raina thinks the Egyptians devised a process of teeter-tottering and shimmying -- all based on using the weight of the rock to build the elaborate architecture.

"The system of moving rocks by rotation is not a new theory," said Mr. Raina. "It was an inherent trait that has been lost over time."

In fact, Mr. Raina believes the ancient Egyptians tried to preserve the theory in cartography of scarab beetles, a sacred bug in ancient Egypt that Mr. Raina believes gave them the idea of using rotation to move rocks.

The beetles would roll large balls of dung to a safe place so they could lay their eggs in it.

Although he is a member of the Inventors Association in Ottawa, Mr. Raina has no scientific background or training. He has worked most of his life as a window consultant.

But moving rocks has always been his passion. Mr. Raina was raised on a farm near Kemptville, an experience he describes as the "school of hard knocks with plentiful rocks."

"It takes a very ordinary farm boy to discover very early in his life that it is much simpler to relocate a large rock by rotation than by dragging," he said.

Fifteen years ago he started to really think about how to simplify the process without the use of modern technology.

He claims to have solved the mystery 10 years ago, although he is constantly revising it.

Mr. Raina has never been to Egypt nor have any scientists travelled to his humble home for a demonstration. He has shown off his theory at various fairs, high schools and the Ottawa Exhibition. He has also been featured on CBC's As It Happens.

Mr. Raina said over the years he has received many calls from Egyptologists interested in learning more about his theory.

"They hate me because I have skewered ancient Egypt on them," he said with a chuckle.

just an odd thought but have WE built anything that will be visitable in about 2 to 3 thousand years time?possibly even older depending on your veiw of the subject

let alone enterable!

Back