The QAnon Conspiracy Phenomenon

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I suspect it's the Vice.com reporter evidencing carelessness. Doesn't seem to be a quote.
It seems to be based on these lines in the article and the presumed belief that Trump would become the 19th President of the "original republic". So it's some combination of Q and Sovereign Citizen stuff.

"Sovereign citizens believe that a law enacted in 1871 secretly turned the U.S. into a corporation and did away with the American government of the founding fathers.
The source for this date is the fact that 1933 was also the year when inaugurations were changed from March 4 to Jan. 20 — to shorten the lame-duck period of outgoing presidents. QAnon followers believe that Trump will become the president of the original republic, and not the corporation that they believe the 1871 act created. "

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It seems to be based on these lines in the article and the presumed belief that Trump would become the 19th President of the "original republic". So it's some combination of Q and Sovereign Citizen stuff.

"Sovereign citizens believe that a law enacted in 1871 secretly turned the U.S. into a corporation and did away with the American government of the founding fathers.
The source for this date is the fact that 1933 was also the year when inaugurations were changed from March 4 to Jan. 20 — to shorten the lame-duck period of outgoing presidents. QAnon followers believe that Trump will become the president of the original republic, and not the corporation that they believe the 1871 act created. "
Um. Was there an 1871 law about something ?

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Um. Was there an 1871 law about something ?
According to Wikipedia:
[The District of Columbia Organic Act of 1871] served as the basis of conspiracy theories relating to the sovereign citizen movement. According to these, the Act would have made the District, and consequently the whole United States, into a corporation. There is no evidence for these claims, which stem from a misinterpretation of the meaning of the term municipal corporation used in the Act. The vocabulary used has in fact a wider meaning here, and refers to any group authorized to legally act as a single entity (in this case, an incorporated, organized district of the United States).

This was later revived by supporters of the QAnon conspiracy theory to falsely claim that former president Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 19th president of the original United States on March 4, 2021. This date corresponds to the original presidential inauguration, before it was moved to January 20 by the Twentieth Amendment (signed in 1933, 62 years after the Act, and thus - falsely - claimed to be invalid).

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire
The Reddit 'Q-Anon Casualties' thread makes for sobering reading (I lurk there only). There are families breaking up, attempted suicides, people being committed to hospital, people doubling down on their 'feelings' that it's all true - all sorts of Q-related fallout :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/QAnonCasualties/

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Years ago, I had the very dubious honor of working with a guy who was in the process of getting out of prison on parole. He told me he had been befriended by a "sovereign citizen" in prison who became his guru. My co-worker was planning to file the documents at the county courthouse, declaring himself sovereign, as soon as he made parole. He went into great detail about all the delusional crap he had been told, and he was convinced it was all true. The guy had some serious anger issues as well, so I limited my responses to George Noory type "izzatright" and "I see". It was really sad. The guy was trying hard to go straight and get his life in order, but his silly obsession with such lunacy could not have helped. When people buy into that kind of crap, they seem to leave whatever sense they had behind and just go full moron. I suppose it makes it easier to think of oneself as a victim, somehow. Surely a sovereign citizen behind bars would begin to notice the cognitive dissonance after a while, wouldn't they?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
This is why we should fear conspiracy theories going mainstream. They're addictive and self-propagating. I remember thinking the 1990s had been paranoid, but I didn't know the half of it.

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The Reddit 'Q-Anon Casualties' thread makes for sobering reading (I lurk there only).
Blimey it's bad enough reading that thread and those things are "once removed" from the person spouting them. Crazy stuff. How dreadful for people that it rips their families apart.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Thanks. "Municipal Corporation" is a term of art in legal language around local governments. For example, I live in an "unincorporated village" which implies that the larger ones down the road are "Incorporated villages". Not sure how a law relating to DC would affect the federal government, but I guess this is not the time to look for logic.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Years ago, I had the very dubious honor of working with a guy who was in the process of getting out of prison on parole. He told me he had been befriended by a "sovereign citizen" in prison who became his guru. My co-worker was planning to file the documents at the county courthouse, declaring himself sovereign, as soon as he made parole. He went into great detail about all the delusional crap he had been told, and he was convinced it was all true. The guy had some serious anger issues as well, so I limited my responses to George Noory type "izzatright" and "I see". It was really sad. The guy was trying hard to go straight and get his life in order, but his silly obsession with such lunacy could not have helped. When people buy into that kind of crap, they seem to leave whatever sense they had behind and just go full moron. I suppose it makes it easier to think of oneself as a victim, somehow. Surely a sovereign citizen behind bars would begin to notice the cognitive dissonance after a while, wouldn't they?
I ran into a sovereign citizen a few years ago but her only issue was that as such she did not have to pay taxes. The rule she used for the exemption I looked up - it is an actual exemption for residents of US protectorate Pacific Islands who earn income there. She didn't involve my organization in the scam so I had no real reason to drop a dime, I wonder how many of these people have been involved as part of profitable scams t=involving legal or tax advice or whatever.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
A number of folks in the US, sovereign citizens and others, claim that Federal income tax is "voluntary", and therefore not mandatory. In fact the voluntary nature of the tax refers to the fact that you are responsible for figuring out and paying what you owe, rather than being automatically billed by the government. If you don't "voluntarily" pay your taxes, you're still liable.

This kind of warped linguistic logic among these people is matched only by the same used by some very deluded religious fanatics.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
I ran into a sovereign citizen a few years ago but her only issue was that as such she did not have to pay taxes. The rule she used for the exemption I looked up - it is an actual exemption for residents of US protectorate Pacific Islands who earn income there. She didn't involve my organization in the scam so I had no real reason to drop a dime, I wonder how many of these people have been involved as part of profitable scams t=involving legal or tax advice or whatever.
They are into all sorts of illegal crap here. They have been around a while too. Most of the ones I'm familiar with are not bright enough for successful careers as criminals though. Back home in Kansas, there were a few out in the hills who would come into town driving old pickups with no license plates. In place of a plate there would be some cardboard sign or something explaining their "diplomatic immunity" or some such. The cops generally ignored them as long as they behaved. Which meant they had to be a lot more careful than the rest of us locals because if they got pulled over, there was little chance they'd get away with a written warning or just a stern lecture. I always thought that was pretty funny.

The best story I heard about that bunch involved a local farmer who was a neighbor to one of the kooks. He had been having some kind of dispute with them, and decided to go and try to reason with them. He got to the neighbor's house to find a ragtag posse there to arrest him. They were proceeding to have their kangaroo court when the "defendant" spoke up and said, "So okay, you recognize the County Sheriff as the only legitimate authority, that right?"

They allowed that that was correct. He then told them that he had left instructions with his wife to call the sheriff if he had not returned home by a certain time, then asked, "So just what are you going to tell old Roy when he gets here?" After a conference, the leaders apparently figured out they had been outsmarted, and let him go.

I was always grateful that I didn't live near any of those knuckleheads.

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I know it is an isolated example, and cannot be taken for more than it is, but look at the body language of Biden and the child here in this clip.

This is a man comfortable with children and used to being buttonholed by them because he is approachable.

It is the same in the video of the kid with the stammer who walks up to him, and several others.

The body language betrays disposition.

It is not remarkable, it is just a fact of being a grandfather who is involved in the life of his family, but it is good that he can carry that demeanor into public life, not everyone can. Perfectly decent leaders and politicians do not have that common touch.

My point is that throwing shade at Biden on the basis of some kind of paedo smear is utterly undone by publicly available evidence that is beyond the control or propagation of the people featured.

It points more to the caster of the shade than the target.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Even more QAnons devastated after seeing Biden use Airforce One.
----------------------
QAnon was devastated to see Biden on Air Force One because they thought Trump was secretly using it: report

Sarah K. Burris
February 17, 2021

President Joe Biden used Air Force One over the weekend to fly to Delaware, but on Tuesday evening, Biden also used the plane to fly to a town hall in Wisconsin. The moment wasn't anything other than a president hopping on his ride, but for QAnon it was devastating.

Speaking to Ayman Mohyeldin Wednesday, NBC News reporter Ben Collins explained that the far-right conspiracy group is in a kind of "holding pattern" as Biden finishes his first month in office.

"You know, they hold on to these little nuggets, they hope in the future there are -- they believe right now there are two presidents and this will all get sorted out on March 4th," explained Collins. "But they lose hope along the way. For example, last night when Joe Biden boarded Air Force One, the real one, for the first time, that was a blow. They felt betrayed by this. They thought that Air Force One was still being used by President Trump in secret."

He went on to say that it's likely that they'll explain it away, but that last night was a big blow.

https://www.rawstory.com/qanon-devastated-biden-plane-trump/

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Technically, Air Force One is the name of any plane the President is on, and not attached to the custom one he usually uses. So if Trump is doing any flying, the QAnon believers can still say he's on Air Force One.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire
Q-Anon 'Shaman' guy regrets getting arrested entering government buildings:

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-56301083 (video)

"QAnon Shaman: 'I regret entering that building with every fibre of my body'

Jake Angeli spoke to the US news programme 60 Minutes from jail about his role in the January 6 riots at the US Capitol.
Angeli faces felony charges of violent entry and disorderly conduct."

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Cant they charge him with being a Sooky Calf?

Its obvious those horns are not attached to his head.

if they were, it might account for his lack of good sense

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't use a green screen technique (by itself) to insert something in front of (in the foreground relative to) the focal figure.